Effects Processor Under $500

hottsauce_21

I wanted an Effects processor and i was lookin around, i got 500 To spend, i was wonderin if theres one that has great soundin effects 4 that price or save up alittle more?

There's a few differences between hardware and plugins, the main being the obvious. I think right now you can get more for your money with plugins though and you can always 'undo' if you go too far rather than trying to retrack that perfect take.

im sorry, i meant between the Kurzweil Rumour or Mangler.

So what kind of plugins do u recommend??? I have effects on my Emu 1212m card, which r better then the cool edit effects i use to mess wit, BUT not the best.

i've heard about the Rumour and Mangler, I've heard they had pretty good effects, I just dont see how SOFTWARE can beat out HARDWARE.

Last edited:
Not sure you know this, but this board doesn't take kindly to people who use cracked software.

Anyway, I was going to suggest the Kurzweil Rumour too. Also check out Lexicon and TC Electronics.

But since you already said you can steal any software you want...

well i never said i STOLE it haha, Just borrowin it til i get the real thing.

But no need for the cracked cool edit no more, a friend of mine just got a digi 002, and ill be workin wit him now. So that means PROTOOLS!
We got basically everything we need, accept for a Effects processor and Booth.

I was readin on the Rumour and ALOT of people recommend it, so im pretty sure thats what imma get. But can i ask u somethin, What is REP POWER??? I see everyone havin Green bars and mine is RED, what does that mean???

hottsauce_21 said:
What is REP POWER??? I see everyone havin Green bars and mine is RED, what does that mean???

That means you have a negative reputation. So if you ever post an answer to someone's question, they may choose to take it with a grain of salt. You earned your negative reputation by admitting you steal software (or whatever you meant by 'bootlegger'). Click on the "User CP" up by the top of te page to see what everyone had to say about your post. ANy comment with a red square is negative, while greens are positive.

As far as effects go, I second (or third) the rumour.

The Rumour has more verbs while the Mangler has more special effects. Both have plenty of what you are looking for and also some pretty fair converters. I would strongly suggest an outboard compressor but that is strictly preference and not Gospel.

mentalattica said:
There's a few differences between hardware and plugins, the main being the obvious. I think right now you can get more for your money with plugins though and you can always 'undo' if you go too far rather than trying to retrack that perfect take.

When your tracking, you shouldn't be using effects anyways. You use them after you laid down the tracks when you mix them down. At least thats what I do. That way I can get that perfect sound with the perfect take, and if I don't like the effects, I can always change them up, take them out of the chain etc before the final mix down.

I owned both the Rumour and Mangler and ended up selling the Rumour; I just don't need that many different verbs.

The Mangler has some cool compression/distortion presets.

The Sony DPS-V77 is an awesome FX unit which has verbs/delays/flangers/etc. Although not in production anymore, it can be had for under $500 on eBay.

Mindset said:
When your tracking, you shouldn't be using effects anyways. You use them after you laid down the tracks when you mix them down. At least thats what I do. That way I can get that perfect sound with the perfect take, and if I don't like the effects, I can always change them up, take them out of the chain etc before the final mix down.

I don't disagree that's a good way, but I have to admit I compress on the way in for two reasons:

1) Time. I don't have timt to be a perfectionist, and it's just one less thing to worry about later. I'm not a professional, and lucky if I can log 5 hours a week in the studio during the school year (I teach)

2) Skill (lack of) Compression helps compensate for my lack of skill on vox and bass, where I have trouble maintaining even levels. When I play piano or guitar, I don't compress at all, since it only hinders my ability to express myself on those instruments (unless I'm going for a super-loud inyourface kind of guitar, or sometimes when I use a wah on my rhodes)

I realize I'm in the minority, just thought I'd speak for the other school.

tc4b said:
I don't disagree that's a good way, but I have to admit I compress on the way in for two reasons:

1) Time. I don't have timt to be a perfectionist, and it's just one less thing to worry about later. I'm not a professional, and lucky if I can log 5 hours a week in the studio during the school year (I teach)

2) Skill (lack of) Compression helps compensate for my lack of skill on vox and bass, where I have trouble maintaining even levels. When I play piano or guitar, I don't compress at all, since it only hinders my ability to express myself on those instruments (unless I'm going for a super-loud inyourface kind of guitar, or sometimes when I use a wah on my rhodes)

I realize I'm in the minority, just thought I'd speak for the other school.

I also don't compress on piano's. Guitar, I do slightly, depending on what type of sound it has. On the other hand, I usually log around 15 hours a week in the studio, so there's a lot of time on my hands to do whatever should be done :o on VOX & bass, I usually use EQ & notch the offending frequency out so the VOX can sit better, and of course compression keeps levels at bay. So, what type of class do you teach?

Mindset said:
I also don't compress on piano's. Guitar, I do slightly, depending on what type of sound it has. On the other hand, I usually log around 15 hours a week in the studio, so there's a lot of time on my hands to do whatever should be done :o on VOX & bass, I usually use EQ & notch the offending frequency out so the VOX can sit better, and of course compression keeps levels at bay. So, what type of class do you teach?

I teach elementary school. Great way to make a living, BTW. I always EQ after the fact (unless you count the 3-band on the guitar amp, but I just count that as part of the tome). Protools (6.4, the last version available for my 001) comes with a one- and a four-band eq that work perfectly for this. I can just type in what frequency I want to bolster or weaken, then boom, done.

Speaking of compression, what do you use for bass? I love my RNC, but my RNC hates my bass.

I usually use an LA2A on Bass. I think it works great. I'm more of the hardware kind of guy. I rather be able to twist knobs and pull faders on the fly. However, I do use plug-ins, but only so much. On bass, I usually use a Orban parametric EQ, and sometimes the onboard one depending on what console I'm sitting at, I usually use them on the Neve console we have & the SSL console.

I've gotta use to recordin wit the effects, Well, reverb at least. Then i add what else i want later. Honestly, the reverbs built into my soundcard are cool. Maybe i'd like more effects to play wit the voice, like HARMONY, and ECHOs

Reverb is something that you do NOT want to use while tracking. When using reverb in the signal chain, it needs to be patched in as a side chain patch, not inline patch. That's what I learned in school. Anyways, if you do it like that, then you run risks of not being able to undo it. Also then your force to mix down everything else around the effected signal instead of mixing things down & adding effects to give life to the overall song. Also, reverb needs to be timed to the music, and if you record & go directly to the reverb unit before hand, you won't be able to do that unless you record, then change the reverb settings, then go back and record again.

Back