Effects on Tascam 2488

justinm.

There are 3 sets of effects you can send to your tracks on the Tascam 2488. Multi-for the guitars, Mic-which are compressors. I am only able to send these effects to 4 tracks. Then there is Single effects-for everything, and you can send them to as many tracks as you like I think.

Regarding the Single effects, is there a way you can add different types of these effects to various tracks? Or can you only choose 1 effect, and then be stuck with it for every track? That's all I have been able to do, and I don't like it.

Justin, the Single effect has to be the same for each track that you assign it to. However, you can bounce the effected track(s) onto another track(s), thus "printing" the effect, and then you can assign the Single to other tracks.

and just a note. you can assign the mic effect to 8 tracks if you press both the mic 4x and mic 8x at the same time.

Okay, thanks Zaphod B. I'm going to try that. I thought of it actually, but I just figured that it would not work. Thanks for your answer.

Nicole, that function does not work on mine for some reason. Nothing happens...I've tried. Thanks for answering.

Nicole, that function does not work on mine for some reason. Nothing happens...I've tried. Thanks for answering.
Nicole is right - that should work. You don't see anything different happening but you will be able to assign the MIC effect to 8 tracks.

Here's the way it works:

Either:
MIC X 8 tracks with no multieffect available anywhere

Or:
MIC X 4 tracks with the multieffect available on one track, not one of the ones with MIC effect assigned.

The effect accessed by the track SEND function is freely available to all tracks at any time in conjunction with the above.

I know Zaphod, thanks for the help. I don't know why, but it really does not work on mine. I wish that it did.

For the MICX8 effect assignment.......

Justin, one other thing. Let's make sure that you are doing the button-pushing correctly. (No intent to offend, it's just a sanity check.)

First, press and hold the MICX4 button, press the adjacent MULTI/MICX8 button and release both.

Then, to assign to specific tracks, press and hold the MICX4 button, press a track SELECT button, and release both. Repeat for each track to which you wish to assign the MIC effect.

When you have finished assigning the MIC effect to however many tracks, when you press the MICX4 button by itself, the SELECT button for each track that has the effect assigned to it should illuminate.

If you are doing this correctly and it's not working, then it's in need of attention.

Since I am considering the purchase of one of these, my question is this, can one insert compression while tracking?
And please, pardon my blundering, if this question has been covered in another thread or is deemed to be off the topic. I've just had a very negative experience with a Zoom 16-track and am weighing the other options very carefully before committing to anything else.

Since I am considering the purchase of one of these, my question is this, can one insert compression while tracking?
And please, pardon my blundering, if this question has been covered in another thread or is deemed to be off the topic. I've just had a very negative experience with a Zoom 16-track and am weighing the other options very carefully before committing to anything else.

you can add 2:1 compression while tracking, or afterward. and while mixing down there is a deeper compression available.

you can add 2:1 compression while tracking, or afterward. and while mixing down there is a deeper compression available.

I think the insert (MIC) compressors go up to 4:1 don't they? (it's confusing that the ratio control goes from 0-100 - I always have to refer to 2488 guide I got from the tascam user forums! Thanks whoever wrote that!). But yes, they can be assigned to the inputs or tracks.

I think the insert (MIC) compressors go up to 4:1 don't they? (it's confusing that the ratio control goes from 0-100 - I always have to refer to 2488 guide I got from the tascam user forums! Thanks whoever wrote that!). But yes, they can be assigned to the inputs or tracks.

i thought it was two to one. it only goes up to 40 not 100. but i'll check later. i'm in the same boat as you. to really be sure of something i have to refer to the manual.

i thought it was two to one. it only goes up to 40 not 100. but i'll check later. i'm in the same boat as you. to really be sure of something i have to refer to the manual.

Weird - mine goes up to 100 though I only use them on recorded tracks not input channels but I assume it's the same?

Weird - mine goes up to 100 though I only use them on recorded tracks not input channels but I assume it's the same?

i just checked mine. the threshold goes up to 40 on the mic effects compressor. i think that means it's 2:1. for the other features it goes up to 100 like attack and gain.

adn yes i think it's the same for wherever you add it, while recording or afterward.

i just checked mine. the threshold goes up to 40 on the mic effects compressor. i think that means it's 2:1. for the other features it goes up to 100 like attack and gain.

adn yes i think it's the same for wherever you add it, while recording or afterward.

Ahh I think we are talking about different fields. 2:1 would be the compression ratio (i.e. a level change of 2dB is reduced to 1dB) and the threshold is the point where the compression starts to act (think the values go from -40dB to -16dB)

Back