Effects on Tascam 2488

Ahh I think we are talking about different fields. 2:1 would be the compression ratio (i.e. a level change of 2dB is reduced to 1dB) and the threshold is the point where the compression starts to act (think the values go from -40dB to -16dB)

oh ok. i get it. i'm no expert at this. sorry for the misinformation folks.

oh ok. i get it. i'm no expert at this. sorry for the misinformation folks.

It's taken me years to understand compression. Even now I'm still learning how it effects the sound rather than the mathematical principles. For ages I virtually avoided it because I was convinced it was evil! Couldn't live without it now though.

Thanks for the input, even though my question was somewhat off the topic. If I may pose another brief off-topic question, how are the preamps on the 2488? If I purchase one am I also going to need to spring for outboard preamps?

Thanks for the input, even though my question was somewhat off the topic. If I may pose another brief off-topic question, how are the preamps on the 2488? If I purchase one am I also going to need to spring for outboard preamps?

I've had no problems with them. There isn't really any hiss unless you have the trim all the way up. I'm sure if you put them up against an expensive standalone there would prob be a difference but I reckon they are good enough for my needs anyway

Thanks a lot guys for all of your responses. I got it to work!!!

After reading and following the manual, I was never able to get this function going. I've tried a few times also, but Zaphod's more thorough explanation made it more clear.

Thanks again.

Back