E-Sitar

Mo-Kay

Dragon Soul Productions
Hi,

The other day, I was listening to an album (Born & Raised, by German/African soul singer Joy Denalane), and on one song I heard an E-Sitar.

Now, as far as aI know, the E-Sitar has been used by The Beatles, and in a whole bunch of 70's soul music....

I was wondering, are there any people here that play this instrument?
Are there sample CD's ? (I don't play guitar...)

Anything! Whatever you feel like sharing about the E-Sitar, drop it here :D

Peace

Mo-Kay

I'm just giving this old thread a little upper...cause I'm still wondering wether there are either

sample CDs

or maybe ppl herr that have too much time on their hands and would like to sample single notes for me? never know :D

There are plenty of sample CDs or virtual synths. Pick up a used Roland JV1010 synth for $200, it has an excellent sitar patch.

I know a guy who has one of those coral electric sitar copies. It's maroon crinkle finish with synpathetic strings and the buzz bridge. It doesn't sound like a sitar.

I think it's the envelope change - the swells and stuff - that make it sound indian. The sitar has the buzzy wierd thing, but it's liek the violin sound in the indian stuff that sells it.

I think this cops the Hindi vibe extemely well.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YVhYAKD_TuA

"Wherever I May Roam is the fifth track on the Metallica album (a.k.a. the Black Album) by the heavy metal band Metallica. The song starts with an electric sitar playing the main riff of the song, before the drums and electric guitars come in." Wikipedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8bixXnEDY

wikipedia said:
More recently, the sitar has started to regain some of its prominence in western mainstream music. The late sixties Indian inflected jazz-funk track "Mathar" by the Dave Pike Set, featuring sitarist Volker Kriegel, later became a massive club hit when rediscovered in the early 90s. The metal band Metallica used an electric sitar on "Wherever I May Roam". Rival band Megadeth used a sitar on the song "Secret Place" from the album Cryptic Writings, as did the Christian hard rock band Blindside on their song "Shekina". The Scottish band Belle & Sebastian uses the sitar most notably in their song "Legal Man". Cornershop's album When I Was Born for the 7th Time uses it extensively. The avant-garde rock band Polvo, psychedelic rock bands Kula Shaker, The High Dials, and The Brian Jonestown Massacre, and the electronica group Morcheeba all use the sitar in many of their songs. Oasis has used an electric sitar on the song "Who Feels Love?" on the album Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, and Incubus used a sitar on the bridge of "Nowhere Fast" on the album Make Yourself. Sitar has also been featured in No Doubt's hit album Tragic Kingdom, and Green Day has also used the instrument on the song "Extraordinary Girl" on American Idiot. System of a Down has also been noted for sometimes using the sitar in their songs, as well as the band Dream Theater in the song "Home" on Scenes from A Memory; however, it was only used as a synthesizer effect. Nightwish has made use of the sitar in The Siren, Creek Mary's Blood and Ghost Love Score, where it is played by Sami Yli-Sirniö, as on albums by Tiamat, Grip Inc., Samael and Waltari. Alice in Chains' Jerry Cantrell used a guitar-sitar for the song "What the Hell have I"; Type O Negative used a sitar interlude in their song "Less Than Zero" from their 2003 CD Life Is Killing Me. A sitar is prominently featured in Thievery Corporation's "Lebanese Blonde". The band Ra uses the sitar in some if their songs. Jack's Mannequin used a sitar in the choruses and outro of their song "Kill The Messenger". Also, metal band Disturbed uses a sitar in songs such as "Stupify" and "Ten Thousand Fists". The nu-metal pioneers KoRn have also used a sitar in the song "Cameltosis", off of their third album, Follow the Leader. On the new album The Hardest Walk, the band The Soledad Brothers use the sitar in their song "True to Zou Zou". The last track on Pearl Jam's self-titled album has a hidden track that appears just four seconds after the end of "Inside Job"; it is Eddie Vedder playing a melody on a sitar. The sitar features prominently in the song "Petrol and Chlorine" by Silverchair. The Cat Empire have also used a sitar in their song "Cities". The band Stuck Mojo's latest CD Southern Born Killers has extensive sitar samples on the controversial song "Open Season".

Hope this helps. It's a great sounding instrument.

Mo-Kay said:
that's not the point here...hook me up with some more info, you guitar-dudes :D

And you say that's not the point, but what they're saying is that the cases you referenced weren't e-sitar. They were real sitars, miced. Different sound than an electric sitar, just as an acoustic guitar is a different sound than an electric guitar.

What you should have said, is does anybody know where I can get a good acoustic sitar sample.

And I would think that that would be better asked in the keyboard forum, since I assume you're going to be playing the sample on a keyboard, and where they deal with questions on sampling.

wow, there's a lot of misunderstanding going on here, even to the point where somebody gave me a bad rep (which is a bit too much IMHO but OK)

First of all: my interest does not lie with the traditional, acoustic sitar.

Furthermore...

I've READ the Beatles used an e-sitar, if they didn't...forgive me.

I KNOW a lot of old soul records have E-sitar on em...great and prolly best known example being "You Make Me Feel Brand New" by The Stylistics...

What I AM LOOKING FOR is info on e-sitars, which I've gotten now (thank you!)

and, if existant, an e-sitar sound set, by which I DO NOT mean a synthesed imitation of an ACOUSTIC sitar.

What I have READ about is the sitar-type sound-making coil-thing someone above just desribed...also, does anyone know anything more about that?

Hope that clears things up :D

Back