Dumb

Elco said:
I mean, would you call anything ever done by Vai, Satch, McLaughlin, Morse, etc overindulged, not-for-the-song guitar playing?....I wouldn't think so.

Actually, I would call much of what Steve Vai did on David Lee Roth's albums, and quite a hefty chunk of "Passion and Warfare" overindulged. When hearing those albums, only on a few occasions will I ever say "Hey, that's a good song". More often, I'm thinking "and over here we have the guitar god in his natural habitat. This is the time of year when he copulates".

Very nearly every pro player, even Malmsteen does it musically even if it's over the top. No one ever complains that jazz musicians overplay, how come? ]

Because soloing and instrumentation are two typical features of jazz music in which the jazz fans (which include the musicians themselves) appreciate. Usually, the hefty soloing becomes a problem when it's not the primary focus in music. The singer is the main focus of pop; the singer, attitude, and riffs are the main features of rock; and the attitude, riffs, and power are the main features of metal. With regards to classical it depends on the composer and the era in which the composer wrote the piece. Bach, Mozart, and Liszt wrote solo-styled pieces, but Brahms and Wagner typically did not.

And my opinion....what Vai, Satch, Morse, et al do is too much work for a slacker player too digest

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I disagree with that statement. Mental comprehension of the solo has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with note selection. I have never heard anyone who complains about Vai or Satch make similar remarks about Angus Young or Ritchie Blackmore, maybe because the solos in their songs don't bore the pants off people.

I do agree though that the slacker approach to playing is pretty lame. Textured playing has it's own place, but not every place.

Cy

Cyrokk said:
Actually, I would call much of what Steve Vai did on David Lee Roth's albums, and quite a hefty chunk of "Passion and Warfare" overindulged. When hearing those albums, only on a few occasions will I ever say "Hey, that's a good song". More often, I'm thinking "and over here we have the guitar god in his natural habitat. This is the time of year when he copulates".

See, you just proved one example of what I'm talking about. To you, Vai on that CD overindulged, when to me , it's perfectly awesome hard rock guitar playing. The energy from the solos and guitar playing only add to the overall vibe.

Because soloing and instrumentation are two typical features of jazz music in which the jazz fans (which include the musicians themselves) appreciate. Usually, the hefty soloing becomes a problem when it's not the primary focus in music. The singer is the main focus of pop; the singer, attitude, and riffs are the main features of rock; and the attitude, riffs, and power are the main features of metal. With regards to classical it depends on the composer and the era in which the composer wrote the piece. Bach, Mozart, and Liszt wrote solo-styled pieces, but Brahms and Wagner typically did not.

Another example of your interpretation of genres. To me , and others I'm sure, there are no rules about what the 'focus' should be. I love to hear lots and lots and LOTS of virtuoso guitar in rock as well as the exact opposite (90's grunge, REM, U2,e etc, etc)

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I disagree with that statement. Mental comprehension of the solo has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with note selection. I have never heard anyone who complains about Vai or Satch make similar remarks about Angus Young or Ritchie Blackmore, maybe because the solos in their songs don't bore the pants off people.

Cy

Angus, Satch, Ritchie, Vai..heck any one of them would be cool to hear at least some semblence of in radio rock today..
but you just don't hear much creativity from the guitar in rock these days. That was my ultimate point.

Back