dumb question.

kurtteej

Are microphone cables all created equal?? I'm in the process of setting up a small studio to record a radio show. I've got a few shure microphones (57s or 58s) but I've also got a few condenser microphones. I have 4 mic cables and only 2 of them seem to be working with the condensers.

To use the condensers (with 48v phantom power on the mixer), do I need a specific type or just a high quality cable? I was switching on the phantom power on the board and the condenser would work for a little while and then the volume would begin to fade out until there was nothing. After I switched to a different cable -- the phantom power now stays on.

First off, no, all cables are not created equal. Secondly, it is possible for a cable to fail/short/go bad. Thirdly, some cables are wired differently for certain types of routing purposes.

You should be looking for XLR-XLR mic cables (cables with 1/4" connections will not carry phantom power). If you're having problems, test the cables and/or replace them. If the new cable is working, the other one probably was bad.

A good source for cheap, durable mic cables is Audiopile.

GLS? Musicians Friend?

Hi,

Speakerrepair on ebay sells 10 GLS 25' XLR cables for $50. Has anyone used these? Are they as good as he claims? Here's his home page.

http://speakerrepair.com

Then I noticed Musicians Friend now has 10 20' XLR cables for $50. Same questions.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-XLR-Microphone-Cable-10-Pack-?sku=360433

and here

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-LoZ-Microphone-Cable-20-10Pack?sku=338006

And finally I was checking the Musicians Friends guitar strings and I noticed they had the exact spec and description as Ernie Ball Earthwood's that I love. Do you think Ernie Ball makes Musicians Friend strings?

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

kurtteej said:
Are microphone cables all created equal?? I'm in the process of setting up a small studio to record a radio show. I've got a few shure microphones (57s or 58s) but I've also got a few condenser microphones. I have 4 mic cables and only 2 of them seem to be working with the condensers.

To use the condensers (with 48v phantom power on the mixer), do I need a specific type or just a high quality cable? I was switching on the phantom power on the board and the condenser would work for a little while and then the volume would begin to fade out until there was nothing. After I switched to a different cable -- the phantom power now stays on.

Open up the cable connectors and visually inspect the soldering. Also, old XLR connectors tend to oxidize. Look at the pins very carefully under magnification. If you see black crud, you will have to clean them with a de-oxidizing spray. Both female as well as male pins suffer. Resoldering is a good idea anyway. The worst case is if any one of the 2 signal pins gets shorted to ground. Your mic diaghram can go poof.

hairylarry said:
Hi,

Speakerrepair on ebay sells 10 GLS 25' XLR cables for $50. Has anyone used these? Are they as good as he claims? Here's his home page.

http://speakerrepair.com

Then I noticed Musicians Friend now has 10 20' XLR cables for $50. Same questions.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-XLR-Microphone-Cable-10-Pack-?sku=360433

and here

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-LoZ-Microphone-Cable-20-10Pack?sku=338006

And finally I was checking the Musicians Friends guitar strings and I noticed they had the exact spec and description as Ernie Ball Earthwood's that I love. Do you think Ernie Ball makes Musicians Friend strings?

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Hairy Larry, the GLS cables are very decent but the connectors fit a little tighter than I'd like them to. I think they're a hell of a deal for the price though. I cut some of them up to make 1/4" and phono cables using some Neutrik plugs that I got from Mouser for about a buck a piece. I ended up with a bunch of good cables for very little money.

The Musicians Friend cables are typical ultra cheapo cables. They are the same quality as the mic cables from wally world. The cable is thin and the connectors are light.

Yeah, the musiciansfriend cables are dirt cheap. I've bought those 10-packs before for doing some non-critical cable runs during shows, and honestly, they have always worked for me, but they are pretty light and have low-end connectors. Anything better would probably be a big step up, hehe

cusebassman said:
Yeah, the musiciansfriend cables are dirt cheap. I've bought those 10-packs before for doing some non-critical cable runs during shows, and honestly, they have always worked for me, but they are pretty light and have low-end connectors. Anything better would probably be a big step up, hehe

No problems with them here either. I wouldn't take them to a gig but for using around the house I have no problem with them.

Thanks

Hey guys,

I think I'll try the GLS cables. At least if they go bad I've got good wire.

Besides 20' cables are always five feet too short.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Oh man do I feel like a dope. It wasn't the cables at all. The phantom power switch on the mixer is deeper than a pen point. I used a thin allen key and was able to push the thing deep enough to stay engaged.

It's amazing how stupid some of my questions can be.

kurtteej said:
Oh man do I feel like a dope. It wasn't the cables at all. The phantom power switch on the mixer is deeper than a pen point. I used a thin allen key and was able to push the thing deep enough to stay engaged.

It's amazing how stupid some of my questions can be.

Everyone here has been equally stupid at times. :confused: We just aren't crazy about admitting it. :o Good luck with the radio show.

Thanks

Hi,

When I finally figured out a computer problem that in retrospect seemed obvious I would say.

It's not that we're stupid for missing that. We're smart for finally figuring it out.

Plus I got a lot of good info about an important question.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

hairylarry said:
Hi,

When I finally figured out a computer problem that in retrospect seemed obvious I would say.

It's not that we're stupid for missing that. We're smart for finally figuring it out.

Plus I got a lot of good info about an important question.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Good point -- I've always been one of those people that never admits a mistake, typically because i figure it out ahead of time and fix it before anyone notices.

Well I'll continue to share my little discoveries as I find them.

i have quite a few MF cables. they arent all taht bad, or that good.

when you get the cables, just rip the connectors off and resolder them right from the beginning, as they all go eventually.

they are just cables.. good enough. i'm making some cables with mogami and neutrik parts, should get the shipment in a few days now. i'll let you know if i can notice any difference, although i really really doubt i will hear anything.

Back