Dual and Triple Rectifier

Chewie

I realise that this must be VERY obvious to everyone else because there doesn’t seem to be, or at least I haven’t found it, an explanation for what a rectifier and hence a dual and a triple rectifier is.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

It refers to the number of rectifier tubes (which are part of the power supply circuit which changes AC to DC) required by the tube power stage.

The Mesa has three 5U4 rectifier tubes and six 6L6GC power tubes.

That's the simple answer. Most tube amps use solid-state rectifiers instead.

Electronics run on DC.
The rectifer changes AC from the wall to DC for your amp (or PC or stereo or whatever)
The rectifier can either be a tube or a solid state piece.

The tube rectifier has a characteristic that when you play, the voltage in the amp goes down a bit. This is called "sag". The note compresses and sustains, and the amp sounds warm and singy.

Two rectifiers keep some of this sag, but lessen it's effect. Three lessens it even more.

Many metal players prefer less sag as it can make notes bleed together when picking very fast, but like tube rectifiers as they sound a bit "warmer".
Many top speed players, metal or not, still prefer solid state rectifers as they do not sag at all. Most Boogies are equipped with both, with a switch allowing you to choose your rectifier.

The 1950s 4X10 Fender Bassman was the original "dual rectifier". Bass notes created a lot of sag, muddying up the sound too much for most bass players of the time.

Mesa/Boogie has certainly cashed in on this concept, which is nothing more than just plain amp design.

They are, however, one of the only big guys left who use tube rectifiers at all. Most of the sound of their amps comes from the rest of the design, though.

The Triple Rec has 3 tubes, but as far as I remember, it doesn't use all three at once. It has the option for a solidstate, 1 tube, or 2 tubes. 2 tubes is more like the solidstate in that there is less sag. 1 tube is for less punch and more sag. The solidstate is for punchy stuff - in your face.

The triple is more like 125-130 watts RMS really.

The triple has 6 6L6s and 3 5U4 rectifier tubes. I think you have 1 5U4 to rectify every 2 output tubes. So a dual rectifier only has 4 output tubes.

The output tubes you use can vary. Usually 6L6s (standard) or EL34s.

Singles have 1 rectifier and 2 output.
Duals have 2 rectifiers and 4 output.
Triples have 3 rectifiers and 6 output.

I've had a dual channel chrome chassis triple for years and I love it. I've ever only seen ONE other chrome chassis triple for sale since then. It should be super rare one day. :)

The ratio of rectifiers to output tubes is coincidence.

The dual and triple rectifier tubes are wired together and feed the amp as one power supply. Having a separate rectifier for each pair of tubes wouldn't help with the voltage sag.

so after all that does the triple rectifiers kick ass because they are triple rectifiers, or because mesa makes good amps. I seen one of these in oz and didnt like the sound this guy got out of it but have seen many marshall stacks kick ass. I am not bias to marshall just a observation.

chace said:
so after all that does the triple rectifiers kick ass because they are triple rectifiers, or because mesa makes good amps. I seen one of these in oz and didnt like the sound this guy got out of it but have seen many marshall stacks kick ass. I am not bias to marshall just a observation.

I don't think its the 3 recifiers that give it the sound. They contribute, but a solidstate recifier would do basically the same thing, just not as smooth. The majority (98.5%) is from the rest of the amp design.

I played a 1972 Marshall Super Lead for years (it put out 150w RMS). I dropped it like a bad habit once I tried a Triple Rectifier. I got even better sound 3 or 4 years later when I ditched my Marshall cabinets for one Mesa cab.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

But I don't use the rectifiers in the amp anyway. I have it set to sillicon diodes and I remove the rectifier tubes. Keeps the amp cooler and doesn't suck up as much power that way.

I get a nice tight thick growling distortion sound. With my Marshall I got a nice sound (used pedals for my distortion sound) but it wasnt as thick and had more "nasal" midrange which I wasn't a fan of.

But, yeah, depends on your taste I guess. As far as the Dual Recto vs Triple Recto arguments go, I haven't heard an audible difference between the two outright. The reason I have a Triple Recto is because when I went looking for one... that's what was available at the time. Both will sound fine but the Triple might be louder... or at least tighter at the same volume in comparison to a Dual Recto.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
The triple is more like 125-130 watts RMS really.

The triple has 6 6L6s and 3 5U4 rectifier tubes. I think you have 1 5U4 to rectify every 2 output tubes. So a dual rectifier only has 4 output tubes.

The output tubes you use can vary. Usually 6L6s (standard) or EL34s.

Singles have 1 rectifier and 2 output.
Duals have 2 rectifiers and 4 output.
Triples have 3 rectifiers and 6 output.

I've had a dual channel chrome chassis triple for years and I love it. I've ever only seen ONE other chrome chassis triple for sale since then. It should be super rare one day. :)

Actually the singles use 2 SS rectifiers and dont have the option for tube.

In my opinion I think the dual and triple rectifiers sound like mush.
All the "heavy" bands are using them and I don't care for the tone.
But that's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream too.......

Back