drum mics! need the best.

thexflamesxburn

suggestions for best drums mics?

snare - sm57?
toms - shure, beyerdynamic, sennheiser?
bass drum - ev re20, akg, shure?
overheads - r0de, akg, beyerdynamic?

im looking to be cost effective! please any responses would be much appreciated. my best thoughts on the subject are this:

snare i would use an sm57, toms im planning on sennheiser e609's, overheads im not sure between akg c1000s's, r0de nt5's, or beyerdynamic ops83's, bass drum im planning on akg d-112 or an ev re20.

are my plans far off from what i should be doing? is it stupid? is it good? feel free to critize me, i need to learn.

and im planning also on presonus digimax lt 8-channel preamps to do the job as well..

thanks everyone!

SM57's are cheap and can be good on snare and toms. MD421's are popular tom mics, but a little more costly. as far as overheads, i don't know much about the NT5's, but i would definitely stay away from the C1000S mics. i personally like the D112 on kick.

are there any mics that you already own? what type of music will you be recording? and what is your budget? answering these questions will lead to better answers from everyone.

ndycus1 said:
SM57's are cheap and can be good on snare and toms. MD421's are popular tom mics, but a little more costly. as far as overheads, i don't know much about the NT5's, but i would definitely stay away from the C1000S mics. i personally like the D112 on kick.

are there any mics that you already own? what type of music will you be recording? and what is your budget? answering these questions will lead to better answers from everyone.
you're right.

i already own 3 sm57s and an at4040.

mostly being recorded is rock music, heavy drums.

i'm looking to spend max of $200 per overhead microphone, and less than $150 per tom mic. bass drum mic $400 or less.

i will be purchasing an e609 within the week also.

Save up for Josephson C42's for overhaeds

Are you looking at any room mics or no?
If you were ShinyBox 46 mics would be a steal

fldrummer said:
Save up for Josephson C42's for overhaeds

Are you looking at any room mics or no?
If you were ShinyBox 46 mics would be a steal

they're a little pricey for what i need unfortunately. but i would definitely consider upgrading to them one day. do you think they're that important that i should get them right away rather than upgrade to them in the future?

and what would i use a room mic for? (sorry im pretty new to this game)

You set up a pair of them (move 'em around til they capture the drum sound you want, I use "ORTF" method pretty frequently or DIN and, depending on the material, kick, snare, and toms (

I think a pair the AKG C418's work great for overheads. You can get a package with two and the D112 at Musician's Friend for $600.

AKG D112/C418 Package

I dont't know how many toms you have, but I would buy additional SM57's so that you have one for each of them and your snare.

When you get better at your recording, I would look at upgrading the SM57's on your toms to MD421's. But since you have three SM57's now, this would be a inexpensive way to go. Later, you can use SM57's while playing live, and keep the MD421's for studio work.

I would look into sennheiser 604's on toms. Especially if you are going to be doing a heavier or harder rock kit. Snare will always be usable with an sm57 unless the drum itself just sounds that bad. Personally, I would put one underneath the snare as well. Especially for more rockin drums. I would also look into lowering your kick budget to around $200 and get either an Audix D6, AKG D112, Shure Beta52 or a Sennheiser 602 (my current fav on that list, with the D6 pulling a close second). By saving $200 on the kick mic and also a little on the tom mics by going with the $100 a piece 604's, you now have a little over $300 per mic for overheads. This also puts you either closer to the Josephsons, or already in the price range for Peluso's, or even used AKG 451's. As far as room mics go, unless you have a really good sounding room, they may not be to valuable, especially with a heavier style of drumming. I would just throw up what you have left, do your best to get the best overall drum sound you can with that, and then use it to taste in the mix.

xstatic said:
I would look into sennheiser 604's on toms. Especially if you are going to be doing a heavier or harder rock kit. Snare will always be usable with an sm57 unless the drum itself just sounds that bad. Personally, I would put one underneath the snare as well. Especially for more rockin drums. I would also look into lowering your kick budget to around $200 and get either an Audix D6, AKG D112, Shure Beta52 or a Sennheiser 602 (my current fav on that list, with the D6 pulling a close second). By saving $200 on the kick mic and also a little on the tom mics by going with the $100 a piece 604's, you now have a little over $300 per mic for overheads. This also puts you either closer to the Josephsons, or already in the price range for Peluso's, or even used AKG 451's. As far as room mics go, unless you have a really good sounding room, they may not be to valuable, especially with a heavier style of drumming. I would just throw up what you have left, do your best to get the best overall drum sound you can with that, and then use it to taste in the mix.
yea i know the room mics arent going to work with me. what pair of peluso's would you reccomend for overheads? im liking your ideas with this setup thus far (although im not going to spring for the c42's quite yet)

Big Kenny said:
You set up a pair of them (move 'em around til they capture the drum sound you want, I use "ORTF" method pretty frequently or DIN and, depending on the material, kick, snare, and toms (

Have you ever tried "ROTFLMAO" method? I find the image to be tighter.

War

I believe they are the CME6's or something. I believe that they are the only small diaphragm mics in the current Peluso line-up. They are about $300 each. I would start with a cardiod pair. The nice thing about the setup that I listed is that it can grow with you. 604's can also be used on other things besides toms. They are similar in sound to a 421 and can be used succesfully just about anywhere a 421 can be used. The Peluso's are reported to be a quality mic as well so should be able to stay in your locker for a long time:)

I recently purchased the Audix DP5A set and have been extremly happy with the results...

Audix DP5A

The set comes with 1 D6, 2 D2's, 1 D4 an I-5 which I prefer over a 57 on snare on most things, also makes a killer mic for guitar cabs. All of the Tom mics are great, and of course the D-6 is the coolest sounding kick mic for rock IMO!

I use a pair of 603's which do quite well for overheads.

Kick: AKG D112 inside kick a few inches from batter head or Shure Beta 52 just in the hole in the resonant head.

Snare: SM57, one on the top, one on the bottom

Toms: Sennheiser 604's. they sound a lot like 421's but can be had for about $100/each

Overheads: Octava MD012's Do not get C1000s, they are very shrill.

Back