Dp-02cf ??

bubinski

Just ordered one of those mislabeled ones that says "Portastud" on the top.....not even gonna open it for a while......once I determine it not gonna be a collector item, then I'll open it....hah.....
Had a DP-01FX for a while and loved it cause its set up like a mixer on each track so's you dont have to do all the cursor stuff looking for eq and pan and effects.....
My $.02 () I don't see a "cent" key on my comp.....

I think the DP02CF also lacks the built-in input effects and CD burning capability of the more expensive HD version. That and the fact that it likely records uncompressed and thus limits how many minutes you can put on a CF, would mean that DP02CF is targeted as a portable device to create WAVs to be uploaded onto PC for mixing and mastering. For those who want to know more, the manual is on line at:

http://www.americanmusical.com/manuals/tascam/tasdp02_dp02cf_manual.pdf

tom

Well,...

I think the intent of the DP02CF is to record, mix and master internally to it's dedicated master (stereo) track, to function as a self contained Portastudio that can produce a master mixdown track, and to use the PC to manage songs and card space.

I'm not sure of the intent of using a CF vs. a hard drive, then having one model of each type. I like the unit somewhat, but I don't understand what Tascam was after offering the two styles of product.

And why does the CF model have no input effects? Is it all about price point?:eek:;)

Well I downloaded the manual and it say they 1 gig CF will hold about 12 songs, but then again, I only have 1 right now. It also exports the stereo master as a wav.
I'm feelin the love now...someone tell me how to make a "cents" character.....

Assuming that the CF records uncompressed, for calculations on uncompressed WAV recording, I (conservatively) estimate approx 5MB per mono minute for 16-bit data sampled at 44,000 samples/sec. Add 40MB for a 4-minute stereo mix and that would equate to an max of 200MB per song, or 5 such songs per 1GB card, not the "dozen or more" they mention in the features list. But, even conservatively, I agree that you could use the CF as an all in one machine. In practice however, I think a bigger card would be in order.

At times I am convinced that Tascam fired their marketing staff and promoted engineers into their jobs, for their thinking sometimes seems to be lacking in understanding of the potential market for these relatively low-end devices. A CF cts at say 50 bucks more would make more sense if it had the input effects and mastering reverb of the HD version -- my experience with effects on the 4-track pocketstudio 5 is that, while they are not all that good, having them built in is IMO a desirable feature for buyers in this low-end market.

Tom

Ah, you know it!

Welcome... Davemania!..........:eek:;)

PS: The PS5UG Pheonix project stuff sounds really good. I've been thinkin if, how or when I might participate,... but have come up blank so far. I've listened to the current stuff which is good, & have given it lots of thought. I'm not a huge fan of .mid file versions of songs, plus it's not something I've worked with before. My only PS5 demo was just 4 live tracks, much like my comparable Portastudio producitons. I've done lots of Beatles covers, and have been brainstorming if I'd be able to knock another one out relatively soon for this project. I'm like you, with family responsibilities & limited time for recording.:eek:;)

Maybe I'd be a bigger fan of MIDI tracks if I'd take time to learn how to create and record my own. Unfortunately, at least half of the .mid files I've previewed sounded cheesi-ola! More on that, TBD.

I logon to PS5UG e'day as I make my rounds. I've spotted you & I think we tossed a few posts around about the DP-02CF. I see Mike and especially Stan are the most active members there. I stay mostly on the sidelines when I'm there, but that board has given me good help and quick tips on the PS5. I especially missed Havin' Fun, who was really active a few years ago. I hope he sticks around for (and after) the Pheonix project. After all, it was his idea.

Here's to recording onto CF! Here, here!

Back on topic:

I've never said that I'd absolutely not get the DP-02CF. I've tossed the idea around a lot since it was introduced. However, the biggest technical SNAFU I see about all this class of device, is the 2-input A/B-input-to-track assignment architecture with no true input-side mixing. I think it's an oxymoron to have to hook a front end mixer to a Portastudio, which by definition should be a full funcitoned self-contained unit. I've related that in recording, front-end mixing of inputs to tracks is like my left hand! To do without it puts a noticeable crimp on my style! 'Nuff said!

Details at Ten!
Film at Eleven!

Last edited:
While we're on that topic,...

this thread needs more pics!:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1 - Tascam DP-02CFa.jpg
    1 - Tascam DP-02CFa.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 51
Okay, now a serious question:...

How do you guys feel about buying so-called "new" gear off eBay from so-called "dealers" at undercut prices?

Is it legit? Is it safe? Are the savings worth it? Is it "gray-market" gear with questionable warranty status? Would you buy a brand new DP-02CF off eBay, or would you cruise down to GC or hit MF online? Zzounds maybe?

I'm really curious about this point, if anyone has op's.

Thanx!!!
:eek:;)

Welcome... Davemania!..........:eek:;)

I'll send you a PM later regarding PS5UG and MIDI. Are we the only PS5 users reading this forum?

Regarding your for desire for front end mixing capability, it would be interesting to know how much cost and size adding a 2 channel to one input bussing function to the DP series. The key question is would the additional the cost make the DP02 non price competitive in this bottom-end product class?

Tom

How do you guys feel about buying so-called "new" gear off eBay from so-called "dealers" at undercut prices?

Is it legit? Is it safe? Are the savings worth it? Is it "gray-market" gear with questionable warranty status? Would you buy a brand new DP-02CF off eBay, or would you cruise down to GC or hit MF online? Zzounds maybe?

Thanx!!!

well, we bought a tascam 2488 off ebay supposedly new, (which it turned out to be) and though tascam won't honour the warranty unless you buy it from a licensed tascam dealer i've had no problems with it at all. i figure it'll last a lot longer than the warranty covers so i should be fine :)

but the tascam 2488 is tested technology. i've read a lot about them and the problems they have had. i don't know if i would buy something that's untested off ebay when the warranty wouldn't be valid.

Thanx!!!

I don't use ebay as I consider it too much of a risk. However, my experience is that the prices of new gear on e-bay are often no better than Musicians Friend and American Musical supply once shipping cost is taken into consideration -- both offer free shipping on any order over $100 I think. There is also a question of extended warranty availability on a device like DP02 that carries only a 1-year-parts, 90-day-labor warranty -- I don't know if the outfits on e-bay offer extended warranties. If I were buying a DP02, I would probably go with AMS, as they offer shipping and 1-year extended warranty free on this item.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAS-DP02CF

Just FYI -- I have never had to test the extended warranty offer from AMS. (Everything has worked fine.)

Tom

Take this, for instance:...

On all my e-guitar and bass tracks, I'll plug the instrument directly into the board, and bring a close-mic on the body of the guitar into the mix for ambience, mixed together, assigned and recorded down to one track. Sometimes I'll use the close instrument mic to "parallel-in" a background vocal onto the (usually bass) track along with the instrument.

Without front-end mixing, what's the deal? Do I forego the ambient mic or BG vocal? (Did that on my first PS5 demo). Do I record the line-in sound and mic-in sound down to separate tracks, then bounce them together internally? (Resisting that idea entirely). One word: Lame!

It may sound like a non-issue, but if you use front-end (buss-assign) mixing on virtually every track, its a HUGE deal! Give me front end mixing any day. Without it, I'm left a bit cold but not dead-in-the-water. I've resisted the idea of hooking a front end mixer to a so-called Portastudio,... especially when I have numerous units that do what I need entirely "in the box".

That's just me, though. Apparently no one else cares!

Thanx!:eek:;)

Back