Double track panning with Guitar Rig distortion

danbord

Hi,

First of all, I'm new to cubase & stuff so be easy on me :)

I'd like to record guitar in double tracked (1 panned to the left and the other to the right). I want those 2 tracks to use the same FX distortion (with Guitar Rig), but I wan't them to keep their panning R and L.

As soon as a track is sent to the FX Track, I lose the paning of my original track.

What is the right way of doing what I need?

Thanks

Dan

If they are the same recording and you just copied, then it's going to sound like they are one mono track in the middle. The two tracks need to be different from each other. You can also nudge one track by a 10-20 milliseconds.

Also, you might consider not using Guitar Rig as a send effect, but rather as an insert.

Yep, one insert of Guitar Rig for each guitar track. Pan each track as you wish then send them to a group or whatever. That is really the only way to get two separate tracks.

Sorry Chili, but the track delay thing is an option for maybe something like an accent solo track IMO, but is really not a good start for a noob to think that this is a standard thing to do for a rhythm track. This could give the wrong impression to someone looking to learn how to record a good guitar track or start mixing.

I know I have argued this possibility in the past, but only for certain specific situations. I would not just double/delay a track unless I was looking to use the effect that it creates. It can also destroy a mix if used without knowing what it introduces.

I'll agree Jimmy, the delayed track trick gives a very unique signature sound and is not the best choice for most mixes. I prefer to just have two guitar parts myself, but sometimes the delayed track works well. I consider it another tool in the belt. And based on the OP's description, he's getting a mono sound because he had two identical tracks. Maybe I misread.

I'll agree Jimmy, the delayed track trick gives a very unique signature sound and is not the best choice for most mixes. I prefer to just have two guitar parts myself, but sometimes the delayed track works well. I consider it another tool in the belt.

Agreed. :)

I just see it so often that those new to mixing think they can just do the delay track thing, and then wonder why their mix sounds thin.

It can work for things like a live recorded performance that already has issues. Hell, it can save some poorly recorded live mono recordings. BUT, I have found it to severely limit the potential of a multitrack recording when used as the base of rhythm guitar track. I have tried it and used it many times before. Thought it sounded good then. Realized it was killing the mix.

Just another tool/option that may or may not work. In my experience, it causes more issues than the desired result is worth. Sounds cool at first. Then not so much after you really listen to it.

My opinion only here. There is no 'right' way to do anything.

:)

I still don't get why anyone would copy/paste a track and delay it when they can just insert a delay plugin and set it for a few ms. (other than limitations of the DAW's ability to stereo-ize mono tracks)

Thanks all for your advises,

FYI I recorded the guitar twice (I did not copy the track). I wanted to fine tune the distortion effect (on both track at the same time) by hearing the final panned result. Unfortunately it seems that its not feasible. :(

Thank you

Dan

I still don't get why anyone would copy/paste a track and delay it when they can just insert a delay plugin and set it for a few ms. (other than limitations of the DAW's ability to stereo-ize mono tracks)

Well, it is an easy way in Cubase to add that sort of effect. And no CPU usage.

I have done this many times on solo accents and such for a quick effect. Just use the track delay in inspector.

Like said, record 2 separate tracks, pan them how you wish (I prefer hard L & R) and add your guitar rig from an insert. Thats the same set up Im using. I usually duplicate both tracks and use a different amp on each track. My favorite is the 5150 for the low end thump and a JCM 800 with much lower gain for definition but that will depend on the music.

Back