Don't know where this belongs

dragonworks

Banned
Bought a new computer, only has a CD rom. Bought an outboard burner. Burned a CD using windows media player. Plays fine through the CD Rom with media player. Bring it downstairs and put it on any of my CD player and it is full of static etc, sounds like shit?

Did you rip these tracks or did you make them yourself?
Did you burn it using Disc at Once or Track at Once (Sometimes labeled as multisession)?
Did you finalize the disc?
Did you burn .wav files or some type of windows media file?
What software are you using to burn the disc? My Nero has an option to burn Nero Digital files that don't seem to play in too many devices.

Just some questions that popped into my head while thinking of reasons it wouldn't play.

Bill L

To play in CD players you have to make a "Music CD" not a data CD. I don't use Windows Media for burning but most burning software will ask you, at some stage, if you want a music CD or a data one.

Beyond that, files for a music CD have to be 16 bit, 44,100kHz sampling and stereo. Some software automatically converts non standard files; others expect you to do the work.

Once you've got that sorted out, then Bill L's question all need to be answered.

Also, some cd players will only play CD- and some will only play CD+, so if you use either format, you get the chance that the disk is unusable to your player, whichever it uses. Most commercial CD players use CD-.

Is the new computer a laptop?
If not why did you buy an external burner? For the same money or less you could have bought a CD/DVD optical unit for the PC. Some even come with burning proggs.

Can reccy, "Imageburn" Bit clunky to use but works well. I actually bought Nero (9 I think?) because I got so used to Nero 6 that came free with a burner many XP years ago!

Beg P. "Nero 2014"!
Dave.

Also try burning the CD at the slowest available burn speed. Some CD players have a hard time reading the data from a burned disc with shallow grooves, which is what happens when the disc is burned at its fastest rating.

Ecc, Imgburn doesn't burn audio CDs natively. There are other free apps though that will. Also, beware the latest version of imgburn is loaded with malware.

"Ecc, Imgburn doesn't burn audio CDs natively. There are other free apps though that will. Also, beware the latest version of imgburn is loaded with malware."

I confess I have not tried an audio CD with it just copied and burned data discs. For a clean download go to www.ninite.com

Dave.

Also, some cd players will only play CD- and some will only play CD+, so if you use either format, you get the chance that the disk is unusable to your player, whichever it uses. Most commercial CD players use CD-.
Pretty sure you're thinking of DVDs. CD-R is CD-R. CD+ refers to a mixed CD with both audio and data.

All but the oldest CD players should just refuse to play a data CD or the data track on a mixed CD (assuming it's not one of those that can read mp3 or other formats), but the really old ones used to just play the data as though they were supposed to be audio. It was horrible!

made a music CD using media player, I have no other software on the computer to burn CDs. Burned at the fastest rate. The disc is finalized or it would not play on my downstairs CD players. They are songs I did in the studio, now files on the computer. I burned them when they were on my other computer. I have given them to other people on a stick and they burned them to CD from the stick with no problems. This is not the first time I have burned CDs.
They play on the downstairs CD players, they just sound like #$%^, static etc.

Back