Don't Believe The Hype

DO THE FANS CARE WHAT GEAR YOU USE

• As long as the song's hot, "Who cares?"

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Most fans still wouldn't know what gear it was if you told them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most fans check to see what gear the song was recorded with before they buy the album.

• Most fans don't even know what that gear does. It's all about the finished product.

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • I won't listen to anyones vocals unless its been recorded with a Nuemann.

• PANTYBOY sucks!

Votes: 19 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PANTYBOY

Have You Ever Noticed How People Give Fl Studio, Behringer,
Sb Soundcards, Casio, And Other affordable (not Cheap)
Products A Bad Wrap, But When You Buy Them They Work Perfectly For You And Deliver Amazing Sound Quality.

Ever Notice How Those People Lead You Towards Buying The $1000+
Equipment Talking About How Its Impossible To Get Even A Halfway Decent Recording Without It (tritons,steinberg,cubase,some $500 Soundcard) When In The End Everything Will Be Sent Back Through Your Cpu Anyway?

Who Are These People , You Say?

I'll Tell You,
It's Surburban America.

I've Come To Believe That These Are The People Who Were Born With That Good Ol Silver Spoon In Their Mouths And Just Can't Stand It That Now Us Little People Can Get The Same Tool Just Different Brands And Have Wayy More Success Musically For Under $1000
For Our Entire Setup.

Ever Notice How Most Of The Successful Artist Make Their Biggest Or First Hit Using These Same Tools As Us?

Ever Notice How Those With All That Grade A Equipment Spend More Time Trying To Tweek & Learn The Software And By The Time They Learn It They Get The New Upgrade And End Up Trying To Learn It As Well But They Have No Music As Of Yet Or Their Music Is Shitty?

Well Its No Coincidence People. Don't Buy Into those Peoples
Negativity.

Ever Notice How The People With The Resources And Money To Afforrd The Best Equipment Make The Most Uninspiring Blandest Music?

To All My Brokeys(people Who Can Only Buy Gear Maybe Once A Year)
Out There Don't Feed Into Their Bullshit. They Know We Can't Afford That Stuff And They Encourage Us To Not Buy What We Can Afford. They Act As If You Made Your Beat In Fl Its Trash Before They Even Heart It. They Act Like If It Wasn't Tracked In Pro-tools Its An Amateur Recording. Well Guess What? Its Not.

Those People Have The Money But No Talent. We Have The Talent But No Money.(hence The Term Starving Artist)
Throughout History The Greatest Artist Were Some Of The Less Fortunate Financially But The Most Gifted Artist-wise.

Wake Up People. Labels Don't Exist (e-mu,m-audio,yamaha,korg)
Every Company Has Good Products And Bad Products As Well.
Just As With Clothes You Can Buy A 200 Dollar Pair Designer Jeans
With No Design Just Bare Bones With The Label, Or You Can Buy Those Same Jeans Without The Label For About 20 To 30 Dollars
(protools Setup Which Will Need A Mac For Full Capability,hence To A Sonar Setup Which Runs On Pc With No Required Outboard Gear)

Be Proud Of Your Equipment And Let Your Music Speak For Itself
It Shouldn't Matter What You Use To Record With.
Only Other Producers Care About That Shit.

Is Your Little Sister Asking I Wonder What(insert Famous Pop-star)
Used To Track Their Vocals In, Was The Beat Made With Hardware Or Software, Did They Use Behringer, Or Mackie Mixers.
Hell Nawl She Ain't
The Only Thing She Wants To Know Is When Does That Jam Come Out So She Can Buy That Album.

Just Because It Cost Less Doesn't Mean It Is Less Quality
(hence The Jeans Analogy)
In Most Cases You Are Paying For The Name.

Thss ad appeared for Cadillac in the Saturday Evening Post on January 2, 1915:

The Penalty Of Leadership

In every field of human endeavor, he that is first must perpetually live in the white light of publicity. Whether the leadership be vested in a man or in a manufactured product, emulation and envy are ever at work. In art, in literature, in music, in industry, the reward and the punishment are always the same. The reward is widespread recognition, the punishment fierce denial and detraction. When a man’s work becomes a standard for the whole world, it also becomes a target for the shafts of the envious few. If his work is merely mediocre, he will be left severely alone. If he achieve a masterpiece it will set a million tongues awagging.

Jealousy does not protrude its forked tongue at the artist who produces a common-place painting. Whatsoever you write, or paint, or play, or sing, or build; no one will strive to surpass or to slander you unless your work be stamped with the seal of genius.

Long after a great work has been done, those who are disappointed or envious continue to cry out that it cannot be done. Spiteful little voices in the domain of art were raised against our own Whistler as a mountebank, long after the big world had acclaimed him its greatest artistic genius. Multitudes flocked to Bayreuth to worship at the musical shrine of Wagner, while the little group of those whom he had dethroned and displaced argued angrily that he was no musician at all. The little world continued to protest that Fulton could never build a steamboat, while the big world flocked to the river banks to see his boat steam by.

The Leader is assailed because he is a Leader, and the effort to equal him is merely added proof of that leadership. Failing to equal or to excel, the follower seeks to depreciate and to destroy, but only confirms once more the superiority of that which he strives to supplant. There is nothing new in this, it is as old as the world and as old as the human passions of envy, fear, greed, ambition, and the desire to surpass. And it all avails nothing. If the leader truly leads, he remains the leader. Master Poet, Master Painter, Master Workman; each in his turn is assailed, and each holds his laurels through the ages.

That which is great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial.

That which deserves to live, Lives.

Harvey Gerst said:
Thss ad appeared for Cadillac in the Saturday Evening Post on January 2, 1915:

The Penalty Of Leadership

In every field of human endeavor, he that is first must perpetually live in the white light of publicity. Whether the leadership be vested in a man or in a manufactured product, emulation and envy are ever at work. In art, in literature, in music, in industry, the reward and the punishment are always the same. The reward is widespread recognition, the punishment fierce denial and detraction. When a man’s work becomes a standard for the whole world, it also becomes a target for the shafts of the envious few. If his work is merely mediocre, he will be left severely alone. If he achieve a masterpiece it will set a million tongues awagging.

Jealousy does not protrude its forked tongue at the artist who produces a common-place painting. Whatsoever you write, or paint, or play, or sing, or build; no one will strive to surpass or to slander you unless your work be stamped with the seal of genius.

Long after a great work has been done, those who are disappointed or envious continue to cry out that it cannot be done. Spiteful little voices in the domain of art were raised against our own Whistler as a mountebank, long after the big world had acclaimed him its greatest artistic genius. Multitudes flocked to Bayreuth to worship at the musical shrine of Wagner, while the little group of those whom he had dethroned and displaced argued angrily that he was no musician at all. The little world continued to protest that Fulton could never build a steamboat, while the big world flocked to the river banks to see his boat steam by.

The Leader is assailed because he is a Leader, and the effort to equal him is merely added proof of that leadership. Failing to equal or to excel, the follower seeks to depreciate and to destroy, but only confirms once more the superiority of that which he strives to supplant. There is nothing new in this, it is as old as the world and as old as the human passions of envy, fear, greed, ambition, and the desire to surpass. And it all avails nothing. If the leader truly leads, he remains the leader. Master Poet, Master Painter, Master Workman; each in his turn is assailed, and each holds his laurels through the ages.

That which is great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial.

That which deserves to live, Lives.
Amen brother!!!!

wEll I haTe To joiN your Game of TrickY Shift Keys, buttttt

PANTYBOY said:
They Act Like If It Wasn't Tracked In Pro-tools Its An Amateur Recording. Well Guess What? Its Not.

Those People Have The Money But No Talent. We Have The Talent But No Money.(hence The Term Starving Artist)
Throughout History The Greatest Artist Were Some Of The Less Fortunate Financially But The Most Gifted Artist-wise.

am·a·teur Pronunciation Key (m-tûr, -tr, -chr, -chr, -tyr)
n.

1. A person who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession.

----------------------------------------

pro·fes·sion·al Pronunciation Key (pr-fsh-nl)
adj.

1. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
2. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
2. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
3. Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
4. Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

ahh i love rants.. ok so the question is .. Do you have the stones to back up what your saying? i wanna see the song writing talent and the amazing mixes with behringer products. im not saying that i agree or disagree.. but i wanna see some back up... to be honest i think its mostly just based how good you are at mixing ... etc.. though nothing cna replace talent.

What the hell does this mean -
Equipment Talking About How Its Impossible To Get Even A Halfway Decent Recording Without It (tritons,steinberg,cubase,some $500 Soundcard) When In The End Everything Will Be Sent Back Through Your Cpu Anyway?
??????????

Look, you can get decent results with cheap/inexpensive equipment (provided you know what you are doing), but you WILL get even better results with better equipment (again, provided you know what you are doing)

Oh, and I live in Suburban America (house on 1/3 acre, fenced yard for the doggie!) so I guess I'm the problem in the audio community :)

Learn how to properly type and construct sentences (including proper capitalization), and perhaps you will be able to secure a job which will allow you to afford nicer gear. Don't be mad at us because you can't afford the nice stuff.

There's actually many people on this board that help you get the best sound out of your equipement, and abilities....regardless of how much money you spent on it. And guess what....the guidance they give is very affordable....
Thanks, guys.

gordone - What the hell does this mean

Oh, and I live in Suburban America (house on 1/3 acre, fenced yard for the doggie!) so I guess I'm the problem in the audio community

Learn how to properly type and construct sentences (including proper capitalization), and perhaps you will be able to secure a job which will allow you to afford nicer gear. Don't be mad at us because you can't afford the nice stuff

IF YOU WANNA QUOTE SOMETHING QUOTE THIS

PANTYBOY said:
Those People Have The Money But No Talent. We Have The Talent But No Money.
Throughout History The Greatest Artist Were Some Of The Less Fortunate Financially But The Most Gifted Artist-wise. (hence The Term Starving Artist)

ARGUE WITH THAT

Is Your Little Sister Asking I Wonder What(insert Famous Pop-star)
Used To Track Their Vocals In, Was The Beat Made With Hardware Or Software, Did They Use Behringer, Or Mackie Mixers.
Hell Nawl She Ain't
The Only Thing She Wants To Know Is When Does That Jam Come Out So She Can Buy That Album.
ARGUE WITH THAT

AND gordone IT MEANS THE FINAL RECORDING WILL BE, 9 TIMES OUT OF 10, FINISHED OR LAST PROCESSED ON THE COMPUTER ANYWAY WHERE AS YOU WILL LINE UP YOUR ALBUM TRAX AND BURN THRU NERO ROXIO OR WHATEVER. POINT BEING THIS IS A HOME RECORDING SITE AS WHERE
MOST OF US DONT OWN HIGH END AD/DA CONVERTERS

BUT MAYBE ITS EASY FOR MOMMY TO BUY YOU A COUPLE
AND NO ONE IS MAD AT YOU BECAUSE YOU LIVE IN SURBURBAN AMERICA,
AND CAN AFFORD THE GOOD STUFF, JUST CAUSE IT COST MORE DOSEN'T
MAKE IT BETTER. AND EVEN IF YOU CAN AFFORD THE GOODSTUFF
THE QUESTION IS CAN U MAKE GOOD MUSIC? (DOUBT IT)

SO DONT GET MAD AT US BECAUSE U CAN'T MAKE THE GOOD STUFF
MONEY CAN'T BUY TALENT
B I O T C H !

ANYWAY PEOPLE WHO ARE BORN WELL-OFF OR MARRIED INTO MONEY
CAN BUY EQUIPMENT LEFT AND RIGHT AND DROP ALBUMS LIKE PENNIES
(K-FED,ASHLEE-SIMPSON) BUT NOBODY TAKES THESE PEOPLE SERIOUSLY
BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THE ONLY REASON THEY ARE EVEN REMOTELY RELEVANT IN MUSIC IS BECAUSE THEY COULD FINANCIALLY AFFORD TO PROMOTE THEMSELVES. NOT BECAUSE ON TALENT.

EX: A PERSON WHO DOWNLOADS SONAR WONT VALUE THE ESSENCE OF THE PROGRAM
AS MUCH AS SOMEONE WHO HAD TO SAVE UP FOR 2 MONTHS TO GET IT

IF THE PIRATE LOSES INTERST ITS NOT A LOSS TO HIM HE STILL HAS HIS $$
BUT THE PURCHASER IS GOING TO GET HIS $$$ WORTH AND MAKE AN ALBUM
AT LEAST WITH THE PROGRAM.

LAFFY TAFFY WAS THE #1 SONG ON THE CHARTS / AND IT WAS MADE
USING THE WASP SYNTH IN FL STUDIO W/ NO PLUG-INS

(it was a shitty song but what commercial song isn't shitty these days)

BOTTOM LINE IS THE CONSUMER DOESN'T SIT THERE AND TRY TO FIGURE
OUT WHAT PRESETS AND FILTERS SYNTHS OR SOFTSYNTHS YOU USE
THEY DON'T CARE AND AS LONG AS ITS HOT U SHOULDN'T EITHER

dear PANTYWAIST,

To argue that the only people who can afford nice gear are either those whose parents pay for it or those who were born into money is not only laughable, but insulting to those of us who worked long and hard to be able to afford that gear. We appreciate the quality of the gear and software we purchase.

Pay attention here, because I'm typing very slowly so that you'll understand.....

If you had actually spent some time around here and read some of the threads that have been going on for quite a while, you would realize that there is a general consensus to the concept that skill and talent trump gear. That's nothing new here. However, a number of people have managed to stress that point without coming across as an asshole. You are not one of those.

Now that said, there is also the understanding that nice gear can help turn out even nicer product. Shouldn't be that hard to grasp.

There are people here who turn out really nice product with *all* types of gear. Until you demonstrate your wonderful capabilities and wow us, stfu. Until then, you're just another malcontent who blames his/her lack of success on everything else except where the problem really is, which is yourself.

Last edited:
Panty, what's up with this thread? There's obviously something more than equipment at the heart of your posts. Why the anger, pal? It's just gear we're talking about, after all, and the opinions--about everything--vary widely here. That's half the fun.

J.

jeffree said:
Panty, what's up with this thread? There's obviously something more than equipment at the heart of your posts. Why the anger, pal? It's just gear we're talking about, after all, and the opinions--about everything--vary widely here. That's half the fun.

J.
i'm not the one calling people assholes, morons and whatnots.
and the point was for those people who may only be able to afford an $8
computer mic with a casio plugged in the line in of a dated cpu to not feel
inferior to people who have $$$$ worth of equipment because its not what u use but how you use it. the other posters are the ones who took offense
so i guess i struck as nerve and they took it personal.

i appreciate your mature comment in the form of a civilized adult, but i
have come to the conclusion that this forum is biased towards newbies

..............(off to www.futureproducers.com where every 1's opinoins count)

To send me bad rep like so:
"please refrain from profan statements and improper spelling."
is pretty ironic and funny, I have to admit.

People using $8 mics ARE using inferior equipment, no matter how you look at it. No one is making any statements about the quality of the music.

I really don't get why people have such a hard time seperating the music from the recording. It is obviously possible to create great music but fail to record it well. The reverse is also very true as is evident by most of pop music these days :)

Have fun at futureproducers.com

There's an adage about success being equal parts sweat, blood, talent, and determination. Another states that the good lord helps those that help themselves.

So far all I hear from you, Pantyboy, is whining.

If you've got chops, post 'em. Doesn't matter what you've recorded on.

ultimately it's your ears that decide, man. I don't see why people are so afraid to trust thier ears combined with a little kindergarden know-how on electronics.

title caps

This is the first time I have ever witnessed a rant that was written completely in Title Caps. That was the wierdest grammar I have ever seen.

PANTYBOY said:
Who Are These People , You Say?

I'll Tell You,
It's Surburban America.

Actually it's people like Eddie Kramer, and Bob Ludwig. Al Shcmitt and Hugh Padamn. Jerry Finn and Ron Saint Germain.

They have to make a living off of sound, suburban america dosn't. :)

Good thread, it provokes thought...I dig that.

In Most Cases You Are Paying For The Name.

So you're telling me that if I buy a brand new Escalade and wonder why I can't get it for the price of a Yugo, that I should be pissed?

It Shouldn't Matter What You Use To Record With.

So why dosn't Capitol Records invest in a brand new Beringer Wipper Snapper 5000 Console?

Those People Have The Money But No Talent. We Have The Talent But No Money.

So who decides who has talent and who dosn't?

What's more credible, what your friends say or what history says?

Is that the way of the world?

Or could someone possibly know that the corporate music world has always been about money, dispite how big a rant and complaint someone can put up?

Could someone maybe learn that people with resources and the corporate relationship control your market no matter what?

Only Other Producers Care About That Shit.

But who do producers answer to when they can't get it to work?

You don't think producers have people to answer to?

Like I said, great thread, it provokes thought and great responses, but misguided.

So your thread should be titled as such:

"DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE, BELEIVE YOUR EARS AND THE MARKET".

Last edited:
There are some key thoughts I found winding through this thread.

They are:

1 High end equipment doesn't guarantee high end results. Talent and skill are required.

2 Low end equipment doesn't guarantee low end results. A skilled guitarist friend was able to wring the most amazing sounds out of a crappy, untuneable guitar I had laying around. Gifted people are able to work around the limitations of their equipment.

3 In the end, it is the results that count, not the process nor the tools used to get those results. Let the ear be the judge.

4 The choice of tools is dependent on budget available, level of sophistication of the user and desired quality. It is not easy to juggle these three, and we need to know their relative importance before recommending something or criticising a choice.

5 Generalised statements (favourable or otherwise) of particular products are an expression of personal preference and opinion, and carry no more weight than that. All products have their virtues and vices. Whether these matter or not needs to be considered in the context of intended use and other factors affecting choice.

6 Finally (and possibly repetitively), musicality is a function of the brain, not of the equipment.

Back