doing live sequencing? ideas?

OverlookFran

hey all...

my band is in the process of writing some new songs that have a complete sequenced arangement in the background (aka, a 'backing track', thanks to Ashley Simpson)
I have taken the reigns to make this happen, and my drummer has composed the arrangment. i am trying to take the best appraoch to this:
i thougth about using my Powerbook on stage, which would also allow me to utilize my radium 49 key to use some software synths like Reason and so forth...
i am concerned about the reliability however. we all know Apple's are solid as rocks, but a computer is a computer. they all have moods. i am scared to risk it.
so i thought about using PT to create all my sequences, then dumping them to a poratble 4 or 8 track and pump them out live to the board. i would of course have to run a headphone line to the drummer, but im not concerned...unless i have to run a click to JUST the drummer..ill have to figure that one out too i guess.

i know FX and gear failry well, but this has always been a weak spot for me. any ideas, advice, or help is appreciated!

just use PT. route the click track and backing stuff to their own channels on the board, and put the backing stuff in all the monitors and the click in the drummer's headphones/in ear monitors.

oh... well you'll have to figure that part out!

well, i'm not sure really... but a hip-hop group we played with once had all their stuff in reason and PT and just had a laptop hooked up to the mixer. so i guess they either had an mbox or 002 or something...

if you're dumping to 4 or 8 track... just mix all the backing stuff to stereo, and put the click on one of the other tracks.

i see...

yea, i would know how to do it using protools. i was juse curious as to what the "Standard", if any, was for doing such a thing. for instance, what did Nine Inch Nails use? i think they could be considered the flagship, or at least most well-known, sequencing rock group of the 90s...

id consider an mbox....i wanted one anyway in a sense so i could record on my mac in my bedroom without having to set up my studio to lay down ideas...
but i wonder how many output routing options there are with the mbox. ill have to look into it....
again, im concerned aobut computer reliablity on stage...crashing, etc...
i guess a Triton could just as easily crash....but i guess that is the kind of advice im seeking here...

avril lavigne uses an hd2 setup or something for live samples according to an interview with her guitarist on digidesign.com.

well, i guess the 002 rack WAS made for portability....

i just cant imagine using it live with the potential of it not cooperating. i love PT, dont get me wrong...but sheesh...using a PT session lived would offer the most options but at a potentially scary experience.

Are you planing on starting by clicking the mouse or a midi trigger for the drummer to start? Just wondering....

Back