DIY kick mic using a speaker

Tomm Williams

Anybody out there ever build a kick mic like the Yamaha subkick using a small speaker? I guess I'm getting bored and looking for a project but wonder if it's just a waste of time and materials. I've read that the speaker type doesn't really matter, I find that hard to believe. It would seem that (like with anything acoustic) speaker size, placement, even whatever mounting method you came up with, would affect the end result. Anyone?

All the speaker does is deliver the signal. So the size or really the quality doesn't really matter.
The speaker itself is just being moved by air pressure from the kick. This movement sends the signal. The signal is all you're really looking for.
btw...that signal on it's own sounds like ASS so don't be freaked out that you spent the time to make it and......
uggghhh...:D

I made one and posted a thread around here somewhere. I'll dig it up and you see what ya think.

All the speaker does is deliver the signal. So the size or really the quality doesn't really matter.

I wouldn't agree with that. You're essentially making a massive dynamic/moving coil microphone.
The difference between using a 6" hifi speaker and a 10" car sub is going to be the difference between a 57 and a d112, or whatever.
What the speaker sounds like as a speaker is a good indication of what it'll capture as a mic.
I have a 10" sub in a box that is just pure boom as a kick mic.

You might find that the output signal is too hot for a mic input. If that's the case engage the pad on your interface, or make one up with resistors.
Google is your friend here.

I just made up a pad adapter that goes from mic input to bare speaker wire. That way I can wire up whatever passive hifi speaker happens to be sitting around. :)

Posted at the same time as you.

The 10" sub I have is boxed in an mdf enclosure.
It was the sub from my car boot. It sounds very deep and incredibly tight. Makes sense, I guess.

At college we used the front face of a 5" or 6" hifi speaker (ie.box removed) and, in honesty, it could almost have been used as a normal kick mic rather than a supplement.

hmmm... maybe I'll make up a cabinet for it and try it.
Or, I've got an old 10"sub in a cab already. Maybe I'll try that.

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP... lookin for a project.
:D

Here is a pic of mine. Just wired a XLR jack to a $10 thrift store sub. Needs an inline 20dB pad.

Attachments

• Subkick.jpg
    Subkick.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 140
Jimmy,
Is that a sealed enclosure? Just wondering how in depth this is gonna be.
And to be honest, it just never occurred to me to have an enclosed speaker for my subkick. Maybe that's why I didn't hear much of a difference.

lulz.... :D

I have an old driver from a Soundcraft 4P monitor, which does this job well.

But most of the time when I want that effect, I just put an old bass cab in front of the kick drum, and use that as a mic!

A pad is indeed needed!

So it seems that an enclosure can/will effect the performance? Yamaha has theirs in one so it makes sense. They made it look like a mini kick drum...............wonder what (if any) effect might be had if I made a mini horn load?

If you use a speaker as a microphone to speak into, or record an instrument they sound pretty naff, because the mechanics are wrong, and the mass of the cone and coil just can't convert HF into something useful, but if you look at the spectral output of a kick drum, the thump is right down the bottom, and has enough energy you can blow a candle out with the wind! So you get something useful that is eq-able, so it's not as bad as it should be. The size of the cone means it captures quite a bit, but if you want much more than a 'duh' kind of kick sound, then look to a proper mic.

If you use a speaker as a microphone to speak into, or record an instrument they sound pretty naff, because the mechanics are wrong, and the mass of the cone and coil just can't convert HF into something useful, but if you look at the spectral output of a kick drum, the thump is right down the bottom, and has enough energy you can blow a candle out with the wind! So you get something useful that is eq-able, so it's not as bad as it should be. The size of the cone means it captures quite a bit, but if you want much more than a 'duh' kind of kick sound, then look to a proper mic.

But you kind of miss the fun of the experimentation. Something new rather than something perfect.

So you don't feel the Yamaha Subkick is all that useful?

I've been eavesdropping on your conversation. This ain't a new idea by any means but I've never tried it. I think I'm going to cobble one together and try it this weekend. I need something to do too (besides shoveling snow). I think I read somewhere that the recommended size was 6". I think.

So you don't feel the Yamaha Subkick is all that useful?

nah, it's not that. It's a good way to get a good "click" from your mic and combine that with the oomph of the sub.
I don't use mine on every song I mix but I do track it every time. Nice to have the option.
And I think, if you make one, do the enclosure too. I think mine being open is part of why it doesn't get used on every tune.

or maybe not but I'm gonna make a box for mine anyway.
:)

I just have a 10" speaker hanging on a stand with no box. I have a 30dB pad inline as it seems to bring it down to a mic volume. I mix it with a d112 kick mic inside the kick. I am a recent convert to the speaker sub thing, and I wish I had used it years ago. Before the speaker I used to use a LDC in front of the kick (with the D112 inside) which also worked pretty well but I like the speaker better.

I would like to have a Yamaha sub kick as it looks better then my bodgy set up, but it would probably sound the same LOL.

Alan

The old-school guys used an Auratone C5.
mX9RyBE_i1j3vHTNMfzFiEg.jpg

A single 5" driver, in a cube.
It wasn't intended as a full-range monitor, like the Yamaha NS-10M.
It was meant to give a flat response that didn't hype the high or low end.

If one were to wire the +/- to an XLR plug, it would make for a decent kick mic.

A 'sub kick' speaker mic is going to be as different as any real mic. More the fun of making it and see what happens in my opinion...

With mine, it just gave a unique ability to have extreme subs. Most of which I HPF out anyway. It was fun to try though, and actually think it would be good for some genres. Especially those that do not wish to use any type of sampled drum enhancement. It did bring something to the table that a D112 didn't have.

Back