DIY Desks - continued

Elvis, one thing you want to watch out for is to keep speaker lines, power lines and signal lines away from each other. I have a discrete path for each type and try to keep parallel runs at least a foot apart and if they have to cross make sure they do so at 90 degree angles. In my racks I try to keep signal on the left and power on the right.

Track Rat,

Absolutely... that's part of why I asked...

On CDierks drawing, it looked like everything that sits on the monitor shelf would be run down the little hole in the center. I would assume this would be speaker cables, computer signals (for monitor) and power cables... I though it might be better to seperate them out, as you also suggest.

Velvet Elvis

@ Elvis

The hole in the center is actually for the cables of the computer monitors...

As far as the Nearfields go, I forgot about those :-), so good call!

CDierks..

Bwahahaha... well... its good to know I wasn't way off base then :)

I'm in a similar situation... I've got a mackie board (no comments please) and a pair of mackie side cars... so I've got plenty of mixing space and patchbay space etc. But I have to somehow construct a shelf to go above it all for my monitors and my video/computer screens. I measured the span, and its approx. 7ft. Not sure how I'm going to do it yet.

Any ideas?

Velvet Elvis

Build the carcass a little deeper that the mixer and space canalevers every 16" or so.

Velvet,
I posted a pic of my furniture during construction in the "Desks" thread...........maybe that will give you some ideas.

ChrisO :cool:

Chris,

Yeah... I saw the desk (there are some nice pics there)... I'm mainly just looking to build a monitor shelf, as the Mackies have the psuedo arm rest already built in and have stands as well...

I hadn't seen anyone build an actual monitor shelf that stood alone from the mixer so I was hoping for someone who might have plans etc. I'm afraid the 7ft span I would need might be a little unstable... not sure.

Velvet Elvis

Remember the golden rule of monitor to ear spacing.........equal distance from ears to monitors and monitor to monitor. Do you need a shelf 7' wide or is there another undiscovered option for you?

ChrisO :cool:

Chris,

The 7 ft span is the span from one edge of the mixer setup to the other. So anything that goes "above" the mixer would have to have that span. That's not to say my speaker will be that far apart. I haven't done any other measurements yet.

Velvet Elvis

…sooo. finally some (well, extremely horrible) pics of my desk.

Working at it has been a pleasure so far.... most of my rack gear is right behind me now.
BUT - I really need to get a digital camera... jeez. Believe me, it looks much nicer in "real life"....

Attachments

• konsole1.jpg
    konsole1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 185
I agree...nice looking desk.
I especially like the "ghost" reflected in your monitors on the 2nd pic:eek:

what kind of wood did you use and why?
I heard that partical boards are rather cheap and have less resonance... is that right?

hmmm... don´t know the english term...
it´s "Tischlerplatte", but I guess that doesn´t help you. I´ll try to find out the translation.
I used it because it´s very, very stable and the 2 Monitors and the mixer weigh a lot - it´s also quite expensive; don´t know about the resonance...

+not helping+

Anybody?

CDierks,
Your desk looks great.......hope you have fun working at it.

A1A2,
I have found the best/easiest to use is 19mm MDF panelling, with similar thickness plywood the next choice.

:cool:

CDirks&ausrock:

thank you both very much. I am planning on building a dest myself soon. I will start a thread reporting my progress in a week or so, hope to see you two there :D

CDirks, your desk looks very nice. Do you have an idea about how much it costed you total?

Tischlerplatte "Carpenters board". The only english term I found was "blockboard".

It's wooden blocks glued together to a board and then veneered on both sides.

L6820.jpg

TISCHLERPLATTEN%20AUFBAU%203S.JPG

Isn't Google nice?

/Ola

Aha... thanks ola. :)

A1A2:

it did cost around 350 $... including the rack thingies/ the leather on the armrest/ the finish and the rent for the use of professional machinery - which I - thank God - didn´t have to handle personally - I had a lot of help!

ausrock:

It has been a real pleasure to work at it.... everything is nicely in reach and my seating position is so much better than before... no more neck-cramps!!!

I hope I´ll have some better pictures soon, so you guys can see the legs and feet, too.

Christopher

A1,
just in case you didn't see the thread on DIY furniture from a few months back, I have attached the pics of my desk that were on that thread. It may give you some ideas.
Like CDierks, I built mine specifically for my gear and have since added two 10 unit rack cabinets underneath the front.

:cool:

Attachments

• desk 2a.jpg
    desk 2a.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 143
Back