Dial Norm

Rabid Pickle

Hey all. I'm mixing some programs for an online radio station. They gave me a specs sheet and it says the "Dial Norm" is -24db.
First, (and I asked them this, just waiting their reply) does that mean that it shouldn't be louder than -24db?
If so what I've done is used L2 Ultramaximizer on the Master and put the Out Ceiling at -24 and then adjusted the volume of the master so that it hits close to and at that, but not so its slamming or anything. Is that the best way to do this?
Thanks guys.

Hi,

I did a bit of research on the subject and found this article, have a read and it may help you figure out what they want.

Basically it refers to how loud the sounds other than the dialog are above the dialog volume, to enable people to keep hearing the dialog even when a loud sound appears.

Cheers
Alan.

Get more info from the station about what they want. The normal use of Dialnorm is to specify it in the program so the playback system can automatically adjust its gain accordingly. In other words the station should be accommodating the Dialnorm that you as the producer specify for your program, not the other way around.

Back