Delta 66 or Omni Studio?

kesterdevine

In researching interface options, I am looking at the M-audio gear. One point has got me confused and I'm hoping someone can explain this.

According to the write up on the Musicians Friend site,
The Delta 66 ($299) allows for 4 I/O
link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...31823389/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/701345/

The Omni studio ($319) which comes with a Delta 66 soundcard is suppose to allows for 6 I/O
link:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...31823389/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/701343/

If the difference is only $20 for two more I/O, it seems like the Omni studio is the clear choice , but am I missing something?

Will it really allow me to record to 6 separate tracks on my PC???

What I'm thinking is that I would use a mixer (like the Yamaha MG12/4) to run everything to the interface/soundcard.

Am I on the right track here? Help please.

THANKS.

No, both the Delta 66 and the Omnistudio package have 6 ins and 6 outs. That is 4 analog + 1 stereo digital (spdif) both in and out. What the Omni adds is 2 preamps and a load of routing/mixing/monitoring options.

I still have so much to learn

Sometimes I feel like I'm in algebra class and everybody else has got the answer and I'm still trying to figure out the equation!

So, basically I need the number of "analog ins" to be greater than or equal to the number of simultaneous tracks I want to record??

For example: 4 mics on the drumkit, a keyboard direct in, and a bass direct in would require 6 "analog ins"??

I know this must seem so basic, but I just can't seem to get my head out of thinking like a four track portastudio. Yikes!

Thanks for the help, christiaan.

I still have so much to learn

Sometimes I feel like I'm in algebra class and everybody else has got the answer and I'm still trying to figure out the equation!

So, basically I need the number of "analog ins" to be greater than or equal to the number of simultaneous tracks I want to record??

For example: 4 mics on the drumkit, a keyboard direct in, and a bass direct in would require 6 "analog ins"??

I know this must seem so basic, but I just can't seem to get my head out of thinking like a four track portastudio. Yikes!

Thanks for the help, christiaan.

Re: I still have so much to learn

kesterdevine said:
yes.
But it's not like the digital ins are useless. Your keyboard for instance may have a digital output and you can put that to good use then.

When I looked at this, the mixer option seemed to offer more bang for the buck. With the Omni studio, you only get 2 preamps which isn't enough for a drum kit.

I ended up getting the MG12/4 mixer and the Delta 44, as I didn't need the s/pdif inputs. Works well too

thanks again !

Actually, Bulls Hit, it was your suggestion a few days ago of going the mixer route that has me thinking in that direction. Thanks!

Now it's just a question of deciding which mixer/soundcard combo is going to meet my needs. I would really like to have 8 simultaneous ins, but could settle for 6 . I am on a very tight budget so I need to choose wisely and be as frugal as possible without buying crap!

Input very much appreciated!

the lowest price Ive seen for the Omni Studio new is close to $400.......that price of $319 is a sale price and probably wont last long so I would jump on it if i was you.....:) :D

Yeah, if you're gonna get a 66 anyway, get the Omni. The headphone amp alone is worth more than $20, and you get pres with phantom power, more routing options, etc. I like mine.

Re: thanks again !

kesterdevine said:
I would really like to have 8 simultaneous ins, but could settle for 6 .

You've just gotta decide if you can use the digital ins. In my case, I have no digital gear, so for me the extra cost of the 66 was a waste of money.

Edit: If you really want 8 ins, check out the 1010-lt. It's got 8 analog + 2 digital ins, plus 2 mic pres and midi - all for $279

Last edited:
The first url in your post is for the Delta 44 Omni breakout box, with the Delta 66 card. That $319 price is sweet for the Delta 66 with the 6/6 Omni box. I paid $400 a little over a year ago.

By the way the Delta 44 box has no mic pre's in it. So you have to take that into account too.

one more question...

for Bulls Hit (or anyone else who might know):

With the combination of the Yamaha MG 12/4 and a Delta 1010lt what would be the maximum number of simultaneous tracks
I could record??

Thanks everybody for the advice!

Kester

Toonsmith said:
The first url in your post is for the Delta 44 Omni breakout box, with the Delta 66 card.
I think you're wrong about this. The MF photo in his first link shows the same box as this pic on the M-audio site. Seems there is only one "Delta breakout box" that works with either the 44 or 66.

I think we can agree, though, that the Omni rules.

Re: one more question...

kesterdevine said:

With the combination of the Yamaha MG 12/4 and a Delta 1010lt what would be the maximum number of simultaneous tracks
I could record??

The MG12/4 has 6 mic pres, so with the 2 pres on the card you'll be able to record 8 simultaneous tracks. Plug 6 mics into the mixer xlr jacks on channels 1-4 and 5/6 & 7/8. Plug your other 2 mics into the cards xlr connectors.

Use the inserts from mixer channels 1 - 4 to connect to inputs 1-4 on the card for tracks 1 - 4;
Pan the mixer channel 5/6 left and pan channel 7/8 right and send these to the main stereo out and connect to card inputs 5 & 6 for tracks 5 & 6;
Then use the 2 mic pres on the card for tracks 7 and 8.

I'm sure there are several other ways it could be hooked up

Yup, the Delta 44/66 breakout box works for both cards, it provides the 4 analog ins and outs. The Delta 66 has an S/PDIF port on its backplane.

Back