Dedication to Def leppard w/original song....needs a low end check

yorgo

Hey Guys.... I like to record songs once in a while that sound like a particular band and completely try to emulate them in 1 song. SO yes the mix is very 80s sounding, but that is what I was going for///to emulate the band. The low end is always where I struggle. Please check on you system. Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/fernando-t-5/a-foolish-heart

Good composition and playing. Singing fits the song. Listening on monitors in an untreated room. To my ears the low end is a bit lacking. It fills out during that pre-chorus but sounds weak during the verse and chorus proper. Just my impressions--take it with a grain of salt. I also have trouble judging the low end. Not crazy about the lead guitar sounds; I was never a fan of that 80s high-gain lead guitar tone originally. This has a grainy texture, like an amp sim.

well, you nailed the sound. mix-wise, there's a harshness to the background vocals to me. I also think that the gap in volume between the verse and full-on chorus in too big. It really drops any energy when it goes back into the verse. still, very good attempt. You would fool me, though I wasn't a big DL fan.

Great song! Listening with my cheap Sennheiser HD 407s I also find the bass not quite strong enough. Well done anyway..

yes, the guitars are amp sims...bias fx. thanks for the compliments and listening. i will be making some changes.

Cool. You've got that big dumb arena vocal tone pretty well down for sure.

I caught a couple pops in the vocals tho. You might want to double check those.

+1 on what andrush said about the relative volume between chorus and verse.

Doesn't there have to be a volume difference between the verse and chorus. The verses are very quiet with minimal instrumentation, compared to the chorus which is full inst. and vocals. They can't be the the same????

I think the issue is that the transition is a bit abrupt. It goes from sparse and intimate to arena-y and back with no warning.

the gap between the db's is too much, IMO. in your theory, a +-40db is ok, as long as the verses are quieter... in reality, that's not going to translate well. It makes you want to reach for the dial and turn it up for the verses then reach back out and turn it down for the chorus. I would move them closer together. those are my thoughts.

Back