DAW Users With ADD

Do you still have the old machine? If so, you can upgrade there, resave your projects and then transfer to the new system. Will save some of the headaches.

Anyways, I think your problems are from waiting too long between upgrades.
There wasn't much sense in upgrading without a machine that would run the upgrade. :o

Although I actually did upgrade a year ago. Just now got to install and use it. :)

I think my previous version (Sonar 6) had a 64-bit version. I had to use the 32-bit version, though.

I'll check the plugin manager, but I'm not optimistic. The Cakewalk web site says you lose 32-bit DXi when going to 64-bit.

See bottom of page. It's for Sonar 64, but I'm guessing it still applies:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013187/SONAR-x64-Everything-You-Need-to-Know

Do you still have the old machine? If so, you can upgrade there, resave your projects and then transfer to the new system. Will save some of the headaches.
Not sure I follow. I do still have old machine, which is running 32-bit Sonar 6. It cannot run X3 in either 32-bit or 64-bit, since it requires at least Win 7 and the old machine is running XP and cannot run Win 7.

I can open the projects fine on the new machine. Just some of the effects I used are not available (or are available under different names). So the problem is having to reinvent the wheel if I want to work on the project any further. My main concen is having to reset all the settings on the plugins. I can tell which plugin was used on which track (using the error message I get), but not whether I used a plate reverb or a hall reverb, or whether it was 20% wet or 30% wet, or whether I lowered the predelay setting, etc.

Not the end of the world, just extra work. :(

Sorry, didn't realize you jumped from XP to 10. Thought if you could upgrade Sonar on the old machine (it wouldn't have to run it, just be able to load and save) the upgrades would get done in the auto mode without having to re tweak...Would work if you could put X3 on your old machine...played with cakewalk years ago, but never got to Sonar before I discovered Reason.

You want to talk about retweak? Try changing to a DAW that doesn't allow ANY of your plugs...:eek:

whether it was 20% wet or 30% wet,

:(
It should be 100% and then set the mix on the send, rather than the plug. At lest you wouldn't have had to deal with that.

I'm guessing it's your version, because I have no problem using 32 bit plugs, DXIs or both, but I'm just not using them, or even the DAW for that matter.:o:o:o

If anything, now you can get some mixing practice in.:D

It should be 100% and then set the mix on the send, rather than the plug. At lest you wouldn't have had to deal with that.

I'm guessing it's your version, because I have no problem using 32 bit plugs, DXIs or both, but I'm just not using them, or even the DAW for that matter.:o:o:o

If anything, now you can get some mixing practice in.:D
I do set it to 100% on a send. But sometimes I only use it on one track. Never saw the need to set up a send for those instances, when you could just patch it into the track and reduce the wetness.

Doesn't you old rig run? You could just check back on it. Of course if you can't use the old plugs the point is moot.
That's actually a pretty good idea. It won't work for the ones not available, but will work for the ones that simply have new names. That's essentially the Waves plugins, but I tend to use them a lot.

I'm guessing it's your version, because I have no problem using 32 bit plugs, DXIs or both, but I'm just not using them, or even the DAW for that matter.:o:o::D
Did you look at the link I gave you above?

Plus, when I went to install some of them from the prior version of Sonar, these specifically said "32-bit only." At first I thought that meant they only came in 32-bit versions. But now I'm pretty sure it meant would only run in 32-bit environments.

Did you look at the link I gave you above?

Plus, when I went to install some of them from the prior version of Sonar, these specifically said "32-bit only." At first I thought that meant they only came in 32-bit versions. But now I'm pretty sure it meant would only run in 32-bit environments.

I read the link and while it says they don't support DXI, it doesn't say they wont work.

Here's what I have, DXIs show up in the plug in manager. I enable all plugs and I can use old versions of Cakewalk software like the amp simulator and tape simulator. Here's the catch, these were bundled with X2 as there's no way I would've installed these from an old disc. I wouldn't use them when they were new.

Also I opened up some old files and the Pantheon "missing plug in" came on quite a few times.

Have you tried any of the newer bundled plugs? There's a possibility if you heard them side by side with the new ones you might not want to go back. Those plugs were limited by CPU considerations, it's a whole new world now, your phone is more powerful than your first computer.

Have you tried any of the newer bundled plugs? There's a possibility if you heard them side by side with the new ones you might not want to go back. Those plugs were limited by CPU considerations, it's a whole new world now, your phone is more powerful than your first computer.
I'm sure there are many, many plugins better than those. It was just not wanting to have to reinvent the wheel when I already had a sound I was comfortable with.

Btw, the idea of checking the projects on the old computer has a wrinkle. I just remebered that the way I transferred them to my new computer was to physically move the hard drive. I've always kept all my projects on a seperate dedicated hard. That hdd is now installed in the new computer and as such the projects are no longer available on the old computer.

I could, of course, burn them to a dvd and copy them to old computer, but that is probably as much trouble as simply dialing in a different plugin for the missing ones. :(

I'm officially calling this matter closed, and I will change to new plugins. In fact, I've already started.

Last edited:
My mother had a mastectomy on Monday. Hopefully that will get rid of the cancer. She came through it remarkably well. Released from hospital yesterday and was up and around immediately.

I'm hoping I'm in as good a shape at 89. :o

My mother had a mastectomy on Monday. Hopefully that will get rid of the cancer. She came through it remarkably well. Released from hospital yesterday and was up and around immediately.

I'm hoping I'm in as good a shape at 89. :o

That's both good and bad, she's at the age where you have to ask about the quality of life along with the length. My Mother in law is still moving along, she was supposed to be dead already.

SONAR
Did you ever think about installing your old version along with the new?

I found that when using 32 bit plugs only the active window receives commands. Say I tweak a parameter, I need to click on the main screen to use the transport controls, with 64 bit I can go back and forth without clicking on the window.

LATER!!!

SONAR
Did you ever think about installing your old version along with the new?

LATER!!!
Don't even need to do that. I could install the 32-bit version of X3 alongside the 64-bit version. In fact, that's Cakewalk's solution to the issue.

However, I repeat, I'm officially calling this matter closed.

Happy Memorial day weekend!
I'm predicting, eating, drinking, guitar playing and laziness.

A big shout out to the veterans who made this all possible.

Work
It looks like the slow period is over, and I'm as lazy as I've ever been. What could possibly go wrong?

Music
Last week I took advantage of MFs memorial day discount. I bought a harmonica, a replacement reed and a ten pack of strings. I should've checked my cabinet, because I already had a dozen sets. It looks like I won't be needing strings for a while. :o In fact, I may change them today.

I've got two guys trying to learn how to play harmonica after seeing me play at the jams. I'm hoping they do well, it's such an underrated, under used instrument. The main problem people have in getting started is knowing which ones to use.

The Weather
Warm, with chances of showers.

LATER!!!

Happy Memorial day weekend!

LATER!!!
Back atcha!!!

My brother is here from AZ. We're having a bbq and my kids, grandkids and mother are coming. A real family affair.

The only negative is I need to drive my mother home afterward, so there won't be much drinking. :(

Back