DAW Users With ADD

Today
My son has a Jazz band performance at 9, the daughter has a piano solo at 10 and a violin solo at 11.

My daughter is starting to sound pretty good on the keyboard and even though she's been playing violin longer I think it's becoming her main instrument.

She has also put Sgt. Peppers and Let it be on her I-pod, so she's broadening her horizons beyond Lady Gaga and Keisha.:rolleyes:

My son, I get the feeling the last time he plays in a school band will be the last time he ever picks up an instrument.

I'm thinking there's a tab in the plug in manager or something of the like that asks you if you want to recognize 32 bit plugs.

I'm also wondering if your soundcard isn't helping things.

Why don't you install blockfish or some other freebie and see if it recognizes that, at least you'll know if which side the problem is coming from.
I'm thinking it is probably Windows 7. I had a similar problem with an older copy of Photoshop. It would not run under Windows 7. Planned obsolescence I presume. :mad:

I'm thinking I was right all along to simply leave my DAW untouched. Essentially it does everything I want it to as is. It seems if I want to move forward, I pretty much need to scrap everything I have. Computer. Sonar. Plugins. Operating system. And probably my 8-channel sound card, unless I can find a computer with a PCI slot. Not really ready for that kind of a committment. :(

Weather
What a difference a couple of weeks makes. 82 degrees here today. I'm a c-hair away from turning on the AC. :eek:

I thought you were on vacation?

Here's a task for you, three files identical except for one thing, and I'm not saying what it is.
Can you tell the difference? Any idea what the difference is?

Attachments

• 1.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 2.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 3.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
I thought you were on vacation?

Here's a task for you, three files identical except for one thing, and I'm not saying what it is.
Can you tell the difference? Any idea what the difference is?

I give. :confused:

The vocals are pretty scary in all three. :) Not sure what you were going for, but not my cup of tea. Wah guitar is nice, though.

I listened on computer speakers, but it sounded pretty busy. Might need some panning or eq treatment to give everything its own space. In particular I felt the guitars could be panned to move them away from the vocal (assuming you don't just want to mute the vocal). :p

BTW, vacation starts May 8. You have me for another two weeks yet.

I give. :confused:

The vocals are pretty scary in all three. :) Not sure what you were going for, but not my cup of tea. Wah guitar is nice, though.

I listened on computer speakers, but it sounded pretty busy. Might need some panning or eq treatment to give everything its own space. In particular I felt the guitars could be panned to move them away from the vocal (assuming you don't just want to mute the vocal). :p

The files are identical except that two are ran through a demo UAD tape simulator plug in at different settings. It's pretty subtle, and maybe I'm not doing it right, but I put it squarely in the different, but not necessarily better category. I'm not in the market for anything like this, but if I have a two week unlimited demo I'm going to try it.

The files are identical except that two are ran through a demo UAD tape simulator plug in at different settings. It's pretty subtle, and maybe I'm not doing it right, but I put it squarely in the different, but not necessarily better category. I'm not in the market for anything like this, but if I have a two week unlimited demo I'm going to try it.
Yeah, I was never going to get that on computer speakers. Maybe on headphones... maybe.

I've played around with tape simulators before. They always left me sort of scratching my head as to whether I liked the sound or not. In the end, I don't think I ever kept one on a final mix.

I've played around with tape simulators before. They always left me sort of scratching my head as to whether I liked the sound or not. In the end, I don't think I ever kept one on a final mix.

The Cakewalk tape simulator is worthless, they have some "warming" stuff in the pro channel plugs but it just seems to be more of the same. The UAD stuff is better, but it still seems to be more of a personal preference than a bread and butter plug.

To my ears it's a combination of light limiting, light distortion, high end/presence roll off and a bit of saturation/maximizing by filling out the overtones. Kind of a light all in one plug.

The Cakewalk tape simulator is worthless, they have some "warming" stuff in the pro channel plugs but it just seems to be more of the same. The UAD stuff is better, but it still seems to be more of a personal preference than a bread and butter plug.

To my ears it's a combination of light limiting, light distortion, high end/presence roll off and a bit of saturation/maximizing by filling out the overtones. Kind of a light all in one plug.
I've actually tried a few tape sims over the years. I think saturation is mainly what they are going for; i.e., tape compression. Like a lot of effects, when you first layer it on a track you think it sounds good. But really it's just the change in sound you are reacting to. After a couple of listens, I usually decide less is better - or more accurately, none is better.

There are a bunch of effects like that. Wavelab has an effect they call Puncher. I put it on a couple of mixes during the mastering phase. When you first add it, you go "wow, that really punches it up." Then you realize it really is making the track worse. It's sort of like the Tom Cruise scene in Risky Business where he turns the stereo up to 10 and raises all the eq knobs to their highest setting. Sounds great, right? But you would never mix a track that way.

Happy Easter!

A meaningless holiday to me, but that wont stop me from eating some candy.

No ham, steaks on the grill as it will be practically tropical with temps in the 60's.

Let the debt begin.....

My son is getting his wisdom teeth pulled and both kids need braces. Damn, kids are expensive!

My wife wants a tablet or something of the sort for Mothers day and I'm buying supplies for another round of landscaping.

I'm reasonably certain there's no new gear in my future.:(

Upon further review....

The THX amp sim in SONAR is not bad at all, sound wise, it's the interface I can't stand. I'm going to go into the manual and figure it out some more.

I also went further into Breverb and found a lot of stuff I liked.

The third party stuff seems to be better than the Cakewalk stuff, but I've still got to give some of their plugs another try.

I haven't been paying attention....

But who is the best team in baseball right now?:confused: :D

In other sports news, the Bucks have been sold and apparently a twenty five year old Bradley center is too outdated for billionaire owners and millionaire players. The Brewers and the Packers have lots of support around here, the Bucks not so much. If they left I'm not sure anyone would notice.

LATER!!!

There are a bunch of effects like that. Wavelab has an effect they call Puncher. I put it on a couple of mixes during the mastering phase. When you first add it, you go "wow, that really punches it up." Then you realize it really is making the track worse. It's sort of like the Tom Cruise scene in Risky Business where he turns the stereo up to 10 and raises all the eq knobs to their highest setting. Sounds great, right? But you would never mix a track that way.

I've been noticing more and more of these non-traditional plugs, I'm wondering if they're trying to create products for people whose plates are full or instant mix Swiss army knife tools for people who can't be bothered with traditional methods of mixing.

It could be software has plateaued and they're just repackaging the wheel.

And, btw, those are not panels. They are individual planks, each one 3" wide. I'm covering 19 feet with 3" wide planks... you do the math. :)

Back