DAW build 2021

maartenl945

What are your experiences with building a DAW PC in 2021 ? Any tips ?

Regards,
Maarten

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, I don't know that I'd bother building a DAW PC again. It's just so much hassle ordering, testing, and matching parts. I'd rather just buy a full-featured box

I'm with Steve. My days of gathering parts and assembling computers is pretty much over. I can still get inside and rip the guts out if needed, but there are so many places that will put together machines for not much more, that it's not worth the hassle.

I would probably stick with an Intel based system, I7, 10th or 11th Gen processor. I know that AMD is getting all the press these days with the gamers, but I haven't had an AMD since I bought my Phenom 1035 Dell years ago. Gave up the computer mags as well, so I don't really know how they stack up. I know the Intels work.

At this point, I don't know that I'd bother building a DAW PC again. It's just so much hassle ordering, testing, and matching parts. I'd rather just buy a full-featured box
Yes I can fully understand that. I just like doing it and it also allows re-use of parts (like power supply and case). Although in the build that I’m showing in the video I build it from scratch this time.

I'm with Steve. My days of gathering parts and assembling computers is pretty much over. I can still get inside and rip the guts out if needed, but there are so many places that will put together machines for not much more, that it's not worth the hassle.

I would probably stick with an Intel based system, I7, 10th or 11th Gen processor. I know that AMD is getting all the press these days with the gamers, but I haven't had an AMD since I bought my Phenom 1035 Dell years ago. Gave up the computer mags as well, so I don't really know how they stack up. I know the Intels work.
That’s pretty much the way I went in the video except going with an I9, because I also want to use it for video editing.

Yes I can fully understand that. I just like doing it and it also allows re-use of parts (like power supply and case). Although in the build that I’m showing in the video I build it from scratch this time.
I do hate having to buy new power supplies and cases. I suspect on my next PC purchase, I'll really resent the old, functioning ones.

All my old power supplies are obsolete. They have changed all the connectors, so I would have to start from scratch. Plus, the LAST thing I need is a case with enough lights to illuminate an airport runway!

Just posted a follow-up video of the PC build on my YouTube channel. Check it out if you're interested!

Regards,
Maarten

The cooling tower you put on your I9 is MASSIVE! I've seen radiators on motorcycles that were about that size. It sure is a far cry from the days of the 386 with a little cooler with a few 1/4" high fins and a 1.5" fan that sat on top. :D

The cooling tower you put on your I9 is MASSIVE! I've seen radiators on motorcycles that were about that size. It sure is a far cry from the days of the 386 with a little cooler with a few 1/4" high fins and a 1.5" fan that sat on top. :D
I'm hoping to upgrade to a 486 with 256K RAM this year.

Ha ha, and that’s not even the big one DH15…

Just posted the 3rd and final installment of my DAW build 2021 adventure :-). If you have any additional tips about (re-installing) Cubase with all plugins I'd sure like to know for next time around!

You know what, after being a Windows man since windows 3.1, yes I know I'm a little senior, I am about to switch to a Mac. I have used Macs in my other job for many years. The reason I am switching is that the new Mac Mini M1 looks awesome, and for the price I can't get anywhere near building a windows machine with the same spec.

Mac Mini is quiet so no silent case needed, it has Thunderbolt as standard, so no compatible mother board issues and thunderbolt card required, and it's super fast. The M1 had a few compatibility issues with some DAW software, but its almost sorted now.

Just a suggestion, I don't want to get into a Windows v Mac argument, they are just machines full of curcuit boards and wires.

Alan

You know what, after being a Windows man since windows 3.1, yes I know I'm a little senior, I am about to switch to a Mac. I have used Macs in my other job for many years. The reason I am switching is that the new Mac Mini M1 looks awesome, and for the price I can't get anywhere near building a windows machine with the same spec.

Mac Mini is quiet so no silent case needed, it has Thunderbolt as standard, so no compatible mother board issues and thunderbolt card required, and it's super fast. The M1 had a few compatibility issues with some DAW software, but its almost sorted now.

Just a suggestion, I don't want to get into a Windows v Mac argument, they are just machines full of curcuit boards and wires.

Alan
Yes I did have a look at maybe getting an M1 laptop for video production on the road e.g. But as for desktop I wanted to use my UAD and RME PCIe cards again. So M1 was not an option there.

Back