Cycling... Anyone here into it?

Circumnavigation of Delta B.C. today. Didn't get to do it a while back because of headwinds.
One of my weather apps said it would be 20C max today... NOT! It peaked around 25C and I was a dumbass and didn't wear shorts. Idjit!
Oh well... Off we go...

Rockin' down to Mud Bay...

More soylent green...

House and boat for sale... Needs work!

King's Links golf course around 15kms along Mud Bay path...

Gonna head North now up to Hwy 99...

This barrier is at Hwy 10, and it leads to...

A pedestrian/cycle overpass over Hwy 99...

Looking West over Hwy 99...

Millenium Trail, which leads to...

Deas Island Park. Some long boat rowers...

Had to stop for water/Nuun tabs...

Heading home along River Road...

The bridge where I took a pic from last week...

Et Fini...

Almost 50Km of anus clenching adventure...

Circumnavigation of Delta B.C. today. Didn't get to do it a while back because of headwinds.
One of my weather apps said it would be 20C max today... NOT! It peaked around 25C and I was a dumbass and didn't wear shorts. Idjit!
Oh well... Off we go...

With as much mileage you put on it and under some moderately stressful use on trails do you do - or have done - any regular maintenance - spoke tension, wheel truing, lubing all the bearings?

You ever break a spoke on your rear wheel? I count 32 spokes on the rear and they look like straight-gauge spokes. Seems like a pretty heavy setup between you and the bike.

With as much mileage you put on it and under some moderately stressful use on trails do you do - or have done - any regular maintenance - spoke tension, wheel truing, lubing all the bearings?

You ever break a spoke on your rear wheel? I count 32 spokes on the rear and they look like straight-gauge spokes. Seems like a pretty heavy setup between you and the bike.
My 2 year warranty very recently expired. I have taken the bike to the LBS in order to get 2 different sets of tires setup for tubeless, and a dropper post install.
During those visits an overall tune up has been performed.
No, I am not familiar with wheel truing, bearing lube and such. I am not adverse to learning, but so far have not found it necessary.
I do a spoke check when up on the work stand. Easy to feel loose spokes, but have not found any. I do some medium trails, and jump/pound on/off of curbs etc. so the bike is not babied.
Yup, dayum straight it and I are a heavy unit. Probably 270lbs all tolled. So far this bike has been bullet proof, and as a SUV type unit it rocks.
Now at about 5000kms/3100mi it shows no wear apart from paint scrapes, and tires replaced. My Park Tool chain checker hasn't even shown wear on the original chain, which is amazing for a mid drive ebike!
I could see upgrades in the future... Lighter wheels? Fork and shock upgrades?

My 2 year warranty very recently expired. I have taken the bike to the LBS in order to get 2 different sets of tires setup for tubeless, and a dropper post install.
During those visits an overall tune up has been performed.
No, I am not familiar with wheel truing, bearing lube and such. I am not adverse to learning, but so far have not found it necessary.
I do a spoke check when up on the work stand. Easy to feel loose spokes, but have not found any. I do some medium trails, and jump/pound on/off of curbs etc. so the bike is not babied.
Yup, dayum straight it and I are a heavy unit. Probably 270lbs all tolled. So far this bike has been bullet proof, and as a SUV type unit it rocks.
Now at about 5000kms/3100mi it shows no wear apart from paint scrapes, and tires replaced. My Park Tool chain checker hasn't even shown wear on the original chain, which is amazing for a mid drive ebike!
I could see upgrades in the future... Lighter wheels? Fork and shock upgrades?
I'm guessing maybe your rear wheel suspension mitigates some of the impact forces on the rear spokes.

The rear wheel is virtually always the one that has problems because it bears most of the weight - on a bike like this you would want a beefier wheel not a lighter one - a 36 spoke or more double-wall wheel with triple-butted spokes for maximum strength. Lighter wheels are what 150 lbs guys on sub-20 lb racing or road bikes concern themselves with.

To check spoke tension you want one of these - Park Tool TM1 or something similar. It can be done on the bike but any time I've ever done it was with the wheel stripped on a truing stand to check/adjust truing and spoke tension at the same time.

1696916637113.png

I'm guessing maybe your rear wheel suspension mitigates some of the impact forces on the rear spokes.

The rear wheel is virtually always the one that has problems because it bears most of the weight - on a bike like this you would want a beefier wheel not a lighter one - a 36 spoke or more double-wall wheel with triple-butted spokes for maximum strength. Lighter wheels are what 150 lbs guys on sub-20 lb racing or road bikes concern themselves with.

To check spoke tension you want one of these - Park Tool TM1 or something similar. It can be done on the bike but any time I've ever done it was with the wheel stripped on a truing stand to check/adjust truing and spoke tension at the same time.

View attachment 133883
Saw a vid on that tool but have not pulled the trigger.

PS - if you get a wheel with more spokes you also have to get a hub with the appropriate number of holes and that's the right length to fit your frame with spokes of the correct length. If you buy one pre-assembled or have someone build the wheel for you they'll of course deal with all that.

PS - if you get a wheel with more spokes you also have to get a hub with the appropriate number of holes and that's the right length to fit your frame with spokes of the correct length. If you buy one pre-assembled or have someone build the wheel for you they'll of course deal with all that.
So far so good. Everything intact!

As the temp drops, and after a fair amount of rain the leaves are falling.
The weather app said partly sunny with a high of 15C. Humbug! I threw on 3 long sleeve layers and that was "just" enough. 22km quickie ride.

It's mushroom season again...

Ruh roh...

The sign was right. Longest and deepest yet...

The train was stopped with the massive diesels idling...

Don't have a cow man...

Where's the saw when ya need it?

This leaf looks like it's suspended mid air... Spiders are tryin' to fool ya...

It's getting colder now...
Started out at 8C, and returned home at 11C. I hauled out the heated gloves and charged them up. Three layers of long sleeves got me going.
What a beautiful sunny day for another quickie to Mud bay and back, around 25km.

This is a view from the bottom of a switchback that gets you up and over the train tracks beside the greenway to Hwy 10 and the South entrance to Watershed Park...

The path down to Colebrook road...

The tide is way, way out...

These look to be the elevated walkway/trails that have been worked on for many months...

Don't let the new green grass fool you. Sections are VERY muddy and my bike was a mess. Fun though, and I probably should not have been on them if the city had their way...

I'll clean up the mess later...

Nice photos, Dave. (y)

The "layers of clothing" thing is definitely coming. Last week, it was 80F (27C). Tonight and tomorrow night, we're looking at below freezing temps. Enjoy it while it lasts. Winter is on the way.

Nice photos, Dave. (y)

The "layers of clothing" thing is definitely coming. Last week, it was 80F (27C). Tonight and tomorrow night, we're looking at below freezing temps. Enjoy it while it lasts. Winter is on the way.
Cheers Rich!
Yeah, we're going to zeroC at night this week as well. At least it's sunny! :-)

Was feeling a bit tired but got out for a short ride between rain showers anyway. Maybe 12km.

And the only picture was again the work of spiders...

Weather, work, and life have gotten in the way of riding over the last couple of weeks, but I had a break from all three and cobbled together a 50km ride.
Seemed like the circumnavigation of Delta was the easy choice, and felt just right on a sunny afternoon...

Somewhere down the crazy river...

After riding River Road, I headed along the Millennium trail, then underneath the hwy to Ladner...

After riding through the burbs of Ladner, I headed South to the Mud Bay trail...

Gravel it is, for 15km or so...

An abundance of birds...

At 40km it was time for a short stop and a drink of after Nuun delight...

Sun going down, along with the temp. Hightailed it out of there for the final 10k home...

Almost dark when I got home after 4pm. Note to self, leave at noon, not 1pm...

Back