Curious about reamping

twangbuck

Quick question about reamping electric guitars (fenders, all passive pickups). I just started reading about this topic and thought it might be interesting to experiment with.

I'm only going to ask about the first half of the equation at this point (recording the dry signal), just to make sure I don't get confused, which is easily done! I"ll come back to the second half (the actual reamping) later.

I'm using cubase le on a windows based machine. I'm using a Zoom R8 recorder as an interface. One of the Zoom's inputs can be switched to accept instrument level or mic level signals. I also have a Behringer Ultra G DI box.

Here's what I"m thinking, please tell me if this will work or if I'm not thinking about this correctly. I'm thinking I would run the guitar straight into the input of the Ultra G, then out from the Ultra G's XLR output with a mic cable into my Zoom R8 in order to capture the 'dry' signal.

For monitoring's sake, I would then run an instrument cable from the Ultra G's "direct to cabinet" output into an analog amp simulation pedal I have (an old JD10 from Awards Sessions), and then run that with a regular old instrument cable into the other input of the Zoom - which I"ll switch to instrument level - so I can monitor that while playing, so I"m not stuck listening to that crappy dry signal.

Am I thinking about this correctly? For reamping purposes, am I better off running the guitar straight into the interface with an instrument level rather than a mic level or does that not matter? If it does, I'll have to split it so I can monitor it through the sim pedal. Will splitting it cause a problem?

Thanks!

Back