Constructive Critisism

First thing is that the vocals need to come wayyyyy up. I could barely hear them at all, and definitely couldn't understand the lyrics.

Did you think about doubling the rhythm guitar? I found it to be a little distracting to have all that midrange right at the front of the mix, and panned off center. If you double it, there should be space in the middle for the vox, while balancing out the image some.

I'm not sure how much of the reverb you added at mix down, but I think if possible, I would back it off a touch.

I think the performance on this track is really solid, so with a couple tweaks, you could end up with a great track.

I think if you made your track playable in the post instead of having to download it you might get more response. There are several free sites like reverbnation and i dont remember the names but there are many...

I think if you made your track playable in the post instead of having to download it you might get more response. There are several free sites like reverbnation and i dont remember the names but there are many...

That's actually a feature of the site.

The mix seems a little dark, even for a Tool clone. (While on the subject, I would question the necessity of there even being another Tool, but I digress.)

I get the point of burying the vocals, but you should probably bring them out in a couple spots, specifically the high points of the song when you're really yelling.

I can't hear the kick at all, and the snare could maybe use a little more volume.

First thing is that the vocals need to come wayyyyy up. I could barely hear them at all, and definitely couldn't understand the lyrics.

Did you think about doubling the rhythm guitar? I found it to be a little distracting to have all that midrange right at the front of the mix, and panned off center. If you double it, there should be space in the middle for the vox, while balancing out the image some.

I'm not sure how much of the reverb you added at mix down, but I think if possible, I would back it off a touch.

I think the performance on this track is really solid, so with a couple tweaks, you could end up with a great track.

^^^Do you mean doubling by recording another track or make another identical track? Your right about the off center panning I'm fixing that right now.

^^^Cool I'll do that next time.

The mix seems a little dark, even for a Tool clone. (While on the subject, I would question the necessity of there even being another Tool, but I digress.)

I get the point of burying the vocals, but you should probably bring them out in a couple spots, specifically the high points of the song when you're really yelling.

I can't hear the kick at all, and the snare could maybe use a little more volume.[/QUOTE]

^^^Tool clone? I'm flattered hahahahahaha. I turned the snare up a hair and brought the kick in as a seperate track so I can adjust it individually.

Update

Thanks for all your comments you guys. I took care of some of the issues discussed, if you have time give a listen and comment please. I need the feedback as I currently only have some head phones and the lap top speakers for playback. Here is another version, let me know

Attachments

• Halo (with lyrics).mp3
    6.4 MB · Views: 7
This sounds like it was mixed on laptop speakers. Definitely high on the tinniness and the boominess.

1. Double that rhythm guitar part. Record it again and then pan each take hard to a side. DON'T just copy/paste it. Literally play it again, and do a good job of it.

2. Snare drum has no attack at all. It sounds like I'm listening to a snare drum that was miced from 10 feet away.

I think bringing down the reverb on the drums will help a lot. You want your drums to have some reverb, but not too much.

3. Throw some EQ on that kick, It's not cutting through the mix. This may be prefference, but I like my kicks to have a little but of a click, as well as an oomph.

I assume this is one of your first posts to the HR site. If so, this is pretty good for an early effort. I like the tune. I'm just going to 'ditto' what the others said about the drums (clean them up), guitars (double the main parts and pan them left/right), vocals (way up). My overall sense is that the mix is 'washy' and 'boomy" and that means there's a lack of kick-snare prominence - I can't really tell when you use low toms or kick drum too. Just try pulling the other drum tracks down and getting a real good 'thud - whack' going with the kick and snare, then add the other stuff making sure the kick and snare still cut through.
:D

Thanks for your comments/advice maximusbs, yeah this is my first post here. Your right on the lap top speakers I'm using the low toms are muffled. You guys are my ears right now until I can get my speakers back. I'm about to go back to the drawing board and reconfigure reverb etc. Before I do what do you guys think, should I try to use delay as opposed to reverb? Should I try to use a balanced mix of both? I have some reverb on like...pretty much everything, drums, guitar, bass, vocals.

DON'T MIX WITH LAPTOP or COMPUTER SPEAKERS!!!!!!
Even cheap head phones are a better option.
you know the rule of thumb for reverb don't you? Dial it in until you can JUST hear it & then dial out just a little bit. You can use rev & delay BUT you'll need to be listening on something that will allow you to hear the detail of what you are doing.

I like the song itself mate, but those vocals need bringing way up - even if they're meant to sit in the mix rather than at the forefront, they're still too low down.

The bass is too prominent and overpowering, particularly from 3.06 onwards - I think it drowns out everything else.

Good tune

Cool good look guys. Question tho. When I get to the point that I e.q. what should I be using. In cool edit pro there is dynamic eq, graphic equalizer, and parametric. which one should I use, or is it more than one I should use?

Bass and guitar generally don't need a lot of reverb. These days, I rarely find myself putting reverb on guitars at all, especially distorted electrics.

The second mix, has a lot more clarity on the right hand side of things. It sounds like you panned the cymbals pretty far over there and then the left channel mostly just has the reverb of them?

Simon, I hope you Alvin and Theodor have some damned good tunes posted, work on complete sentences and ideas ok? Buh bye...

Last edited:
Back