Consolidate inputs to DAW. Recommendation?

kayf

Hello. My setup is an M-Audio Profire 610, two inputs into MacBook/PT8. It gets the job done but what I don't like is the constant unplugging/plug in of the different sources, especially during songwriting sessions when you jump between instruments all the time. What would be the best way to have everything set up and ready to go? A small clean mixer or some sort of a patch bay solution? (Not looking for expensive multiple channel mic pre's)

Diagram:

1 Vocal mic (48v)
2 Acoustic git mic (48v)
3 Guitar amp mic (dynamic)
4 Guitar DI (line)
5 Bass DI (line)

Get an interface with more inputs. Take a look at the Behringer U-Phoria series. Cheap, solid, and lots of options.

Get an interface with more inputs. Take a look at the Behringer U-Phoria series. Cheap, solid, and lots of options.

Naturally, but I'm using ProTools 8 so I'm limited to what interface I can use. PT 10 and above lets you use just about anything and PT 8 is as far as my MacBook will support.

Hey, Its nine and above which are open to the interface market.
Might make the difference, price wise, if you were ever going to consider upgrading.

WTGR the only one of the Behringers that increases OP's inputs is the UMC 1820 $300. The Z 6 is $129.

He has said he does not want a bigger, more expensive interface, just a means to rationalize the source he has.

In any case, what does he do with the redundant Profire? Bin it? He could try to sell it but Fussywire is very out of favour these days. The AI was built in perhaps the "heyday" of M-Audio and there is no suggestion that it gives other than very satisfactory results. "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and with the addition of a small mixer he doesn't need to.

Dave.

WTGR the only one of the Behringers that increases OP's inputs is the UMC 1820 $300. The Z 6 is $129.

He has said he does not want a bigger, more expensive interface, just a means to rationalize the source he has.

In any case, what does he do with the redundant Profire? Bin it? He could try to sell it but Fussywire is very out of favour these days. The AI was built in perhaps the "heyday" of M-Audio and there is no suggestion that it gives other than very satisfactory results. "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and with the addition of a small mixer he doesn't need to.

Dave.

Yes, I'm not looking to upgrade my current system. New PT means new OS etc which I've tried before and it all crashed. I'm perfectly happy with what I've got except I want to be able to "funnel" my sources in a better way into the Profire 610. I think the Mackie Onyx 820i might be a good solution, just using the preamp section and take the aux send out to bypass the EQ. Should be a clean path.

The first two channels have DI inputs as well, but my direct guitar/bass goes through some modelers first so I don't really need that feature anyway.

Back