Connecting two balanced ¼" jacks to unbalanced stereo speakers

Mr songwriter

See title. I recently bought an M-Audio 192 soundcard, which has two pairs of ¼" TRS analogue outputs, but until I get hold of some proper studio monitors with balanced inputs, I am running them through a normal pair of PC speakers with the standard 3.5mm jack. I've tried connecting it in several different ways, but I have only managed to get one of the stereo channels coming out of one of the speakers so far, even though I know that the soundcard is outputting in stereo, so I am now thinking that I am going to have to actually make a cable myself in order to get both stereo channels coming out of the speakers. Is this possible?

jack%20plug%20wiring.JPG

Huh, I would think that would have worked. :confused: You plugged the two 1/4" into your card and then used a 1/4"->3.5mm cable to connect your speakers, right?

Yup I did, there was a ¼" TRS plug going into each output jack on the card (left and right) and a stereo 1/8" jack going to the PC speakers, but I only got mono, it also doesn't sound too good either, with the arrangement you're suggesting will I need ¼" stereo (TRS) or mono (TS) plugs?

Mono. I think using the TRS 1/4" plugs like you did sent both sides to both sides, if you get me. That is, both the left and right signals went to each speaker.

Ok, cheers, I've just checked and they only have RCA to mono ¼" adaptors anyway, and I've already got the other bit, so hopefully that should do the trick.

Mr songwriter said:
Yup I did, there was a ¼" TRS plug going into each output jack on the card (left and right) and a stereo 1/8" jack going to the PC speakers, but I only got mono, it also doesn't sound too good either, with the arrangement you're suggesting will I need ¼" stereo (TRS) or mono (TS) plugs?

The jacks going into each soundcard need to be TS (mono). You are using a headphone splitter cable and not a Stereo to dual mono splitter.

OK, ta, that explains it, I've just read the Q&A under the product description too, where it says:

Q) Is this a true stereo splitter? Ie stereo -> 2x mono? or a multiplier Ie mono -> 2x mono
A) No this splits one stero ouput to two stereo outputs.

I've got the the RCA bits and pieces now, and I put them together and tested them earlier with my multimeter to see what was connecting to what and it seemed to be OK, I'll know for sure tomorrow when I test it on the card itself.

Back