Connecting a specific audio interface and composer

LadiDadi

Hello everyone,

If someone would be so kind to explain to me how I could connect my Presonus Audiobox USB with my Behringer Composer Pro-Xl MDX2600 and of course my condenser mic all to my windows PC.

Thank you

The Audio Box is about as simple an interface as they get. Just read the manual, install the drivers and any other required software then follow instructions TO THE LETTER.

You need some form of recording software (called a "DAW") and I think that interface comes with a version of Studio One? That is not known to me but again, read the manual.

Once you get to the stage where you can play YT or CD through the AB's headphone output, connect the capacitor mic and try a recording.

The Behringer unit is a bit of a quandary? What do you intend to do with it? The unit is designed to interface at 'studio' levels with say a mixer, there is no facility to put it in the Audio Box circuit. Google "effects loops" "outboard audio equipment" and "mixer inserts" and you might get an inkling?

Dave.

I was going to use the Behringer as compressor, expander etc..
But it seems that I cant connect the Behringer with the audiobox, so should I get a small mixer. Any suggestions for a mixer that can connect all this equipment (Audiobox USB, Behringer MDX2600, condenser mic and mixer)

I was going to use the Behringer as compressor, expander etc..
But it seems that I cant connect the Behringer with the audiobox, so should I get a small mixer. Any suggestions for a mixer that can connect all this equipment (Audiobox USB, Behringer MDX2600, condenser mic and mixer)

You would probably do better to trade the Audio Box for one of the Behringer AIs that have 'inserts'. You do not need a 'small' mixer since only 'big' ones have inserts. In fact you do not need a mixer at all. In FACT! I have to ask..What possessed you to buy this set of bits in the first place evidently having done zero research?

Again, read up about inserts and out board gear.

Dave.

You would probably do better to trade the Audio Box for one of the Behringer AIs that have 'inserts'. You do not need a 'small' mixer since only 'big' ones have inserts. In fact you do not need a mixer at all. In FACT! I have to ask..What possessed you to buy this set of bits in the first place evidently having done zero research?

Again, read up about inserts and out board gear.

Dave.

Well I recorded with the Audiobox a few songs and thought adding a external processor would help with the sound. I cant seem to get my final mix loud enough, although that could be because the mastering isn't done properly.

What i meant by small mixer is something like an eurorack ub802 or something similar.

Could you suggest an audio interface or perhaps suggest more than one.

'In 'ell Ladi! You have gone from a basic "how do I hook this lot up?" query to "I need help mixing and mastering my songs"!

You don't need any kind of mixer (until you spend $1000s on a 'pro' board) and you probably don't need the Behringer processor (though, of its type and FOR Behringer it seems pretty good) I can only help you with basic hardware and SOME DAWs that I know, a bit, but the general thinking by the top mixing guys here is that Onboard, Software effects are way better than most hardware outboard unless you need a specific 'famous name'.

What Digital Audio Workstation are you using? I mentioned Studio One and I would guess it has the usual compliment of plugins? Compression, EQ, di-da? If not then look at Reaper.

Next step tho' is to post a clip in the MP3 clinic where this deaf old bottle jockey never goes!

Dave.

'In 'ell Ladi! You have gone from a basic "how do I hook this lot up?" query to "I need help mixing and mastering my songs"!

You don't need any kind of mixer (until you spend $1000s on a 'pro' board) and you probably don't need the Behringer processor (though, of its type and FOR Behringer it seems pretty good) I can only help you with basic hardware and SOME DAWs that I know, a bit, but the general thinking by the top mixing guys here is that Onboard, Software effects are way better than most hardware outboard unless you need a specific 'famous name'.

What Digital Audio Workstation are you using? I mentioned Studio One and I would guess it has the usual compliment of plugins? Compression, EQ, di-da? If not then look at Reaper.

Next step tho' is to post a clip in the MP3 clinic where this deaf old bottle jockey never goes!

Dave.

You are funny.

I used to have someone that I would work with and he would do all the equipment and such, but now I have to do it myself.

I work in Studio One on windows 7 with the audiobox and a condenser mic (along with headphones obviously). I thought adding an external processor would help my sound. Im pretty happy with the mixing, its just that the songs seem quiet and not loud enough when played back on a phone but sound fine in the DAW.

Hi,
It sounds like adding external hardware to your setup might be more of an inconvenience and distraction than a help.
As you're gathering, you would need to have something with either inserts, or line inputs.
With the latter your mic preamp would need to be outboard too; Mic pre - processor - line input.

Sounds like you might be taking the wrong path to the right place; Learning and understanding how to use processes like compression/limiting etc
is going to help you, but doing it through software for now might be the better approach?

As Dave says, it's hard to argue an advantage of hardware unless you have specific live requirements or some particularly desirable gear.

You are funny.

Not really. He's saying you're trying to solve one problem via the wrong path. Loudness has more to do with your compression/limiting processing than your gear. The software and plugins are your guide to the loudness you desire.

Not really. He's saying you're trying to solve one problem via the wrong path. Loudness has more to do with your compression/limiting processing than your gear. The software and plugins are your guide to the loudness you desire.

I didn't mean anything negative with that line. He seems like a cool dude to hang with.

Anyway, I understand better now.
Thanks.

I didn't mean anything negative with that line. He seems like a cool dude to hang with.

Anyway, I understand better now.
Thanks.

I'll clarify that good signal gain is equally important, if not more so than plugins and the software. I believe most guys here shoot for around -18 on the master bus, before too much processing is added. That gives wiggle room for gain added during compression, amp sims, limiting, etc.

I have racks full of processors, and I don't use any of them - including the composers. In truth, in the better and more sophisticated DAWs, Cubase in my case, are much better electronic versions than many of my rack processors. Less noise, much easier to connect and of course settings changes from the software - that can even me automated if you wish?

To use one processor properly needs an interface with at least 4 ins and 4 outs so you can send the audio out to them, then get it back again. Using a mixer will be a fudge - your final mix is at the mercy of the external device and you will probably need to loads of repatching between recording and mixing. Buy a decent DAW, even the cut down versions of the big software come with processing - and being honest, my composers are not the quietest of devices!

The Behri Composer is, to my understanding, a fine piece of equipment, but completely unnecessary for your purposes. There is nothing it can do that can't be done within your computer and the DAW you are using.

Concentrate on recording a good clean signal. That's your starting point.

You will then need to learn about compression and limiting to get the most out of that recording.

You would have to do this with the hardware unit, but at least in-the-box you don't have to worry about figuring how to connect stuff up.

I have racks full of processors, and I don't use any of them - including the composers. In truth, in the better and more sophisticated DAWs, Cubase in my case, are much better electronic versions than many of my rack processors. Less noise, much easier to connect and of course settings changes from the software - that can even me automated if you wish?

To use one processor properly needs an interface with at least 4 ins and 4 outs so you can send the audio out to them, then get it back again. Using a mixer will be a fudge - your final mix is at the mercy of the external device and you will probably need to loads of repatching between recording and mixing. Buy a decent DAW, even the cut down versions of the big software come with processing - and being honest, my composers are not the quietest of devices!

Thats the answer I was looking for really. I hope people jump on this with their experience and not just opinion.

A few years back I posted a question weather I should just but the minimum setup for a studio (a mic, audio interface or mixer, headphones and accessories like a mic stand) and basically said that I don't see the point in buying processors and effect racks because you can get them digitally with all the advancement in recording technology (unless you are talking about high end professional equipment you find in professional studios) and most of the answers to the thread were negative to my thinking that you don't need all these external processors, saying that nothing can replace a external processor *including more expensive plugins). Those answers stuck with me this whole time.

I just kept recording with the minimum equipment I have. What has changed is that my mixing is a lot better and I'm pretty happy with the mix, not so much with the loudness when compared to other songs I listen on my phone and I thought adding a processor that has a umber of functions (compressor, limiter, tube sim. etc...) would improve that.

I got pretty good at working with Studio One and its kind of for beginners. I got Studio One with the audio interface when I bought and and have sicne upgraded through them.

The Behri Composer is, to my understanding, a fine piece of equipment, but completely unnecessary for your purposes. There is nothing it can do that can't be done within your computer and the DAW you are using.

Concentrate on recording a good clean signal. That's your starting point.

You will then need to learn about compression and limiting to get the most out of that recording.

You would have to do this with the hardware unit, but at least in-the-box you don't have to worry about figuring how to connect stuff up.

Thanks for your input.
I think I might buy a powered USB Hub to increase the power of the audio interface, which might help with the cleanness of the signal.
I'm experimenting with limiters to increase the loudness of my songs. I'm pretty happy with my mixing. Its just a lot of exporting my songs to my phone to see how they sound with certain plugins.

Thanks for your input.
I think I might buy a powered USB Hub to increase the power of the audio interface, which might help with the cleanness of the signal.
I'm experimenting with limiters to increase the loudness of my songs. I'm pretty happy with my mixing. Its just a lot of exporting my songs to my phone to see how they sound with certain plugins.

A powered USB hub will do NOTHING to improve the interface! In fact it probably would not work on a hub, powered or not.

What do you perceive as lacking or wrong with the AI as it is? Yes, it is of the very basic type but even these are capable of excellent, "better than CD" results these days.

THE most useful upgrade most peeps can make is to better monitors and I mean quite a leap in cost. I personally love my Tannoy 5As but recognise that they are pretty 'cooking grade' I read of Focals and PMC and £2000+ and wonder how I could maybe JEEEEUST sneak that past SWMBO'ed on the credit card! But, AS important as monitors is the room, but that is whole new can of worms!

Dave.

A powered USB hub will do NOTHING to improve the interface! In fact it probably would not work on a hub, powered or not.

What do you perceive as lacking or wrong with the AI as it is? Yes, it is of the very basic type but even these are capable of excellent, "better than CD" results these days.

THE most useful upgrade most peeps can make is to better monitors and I mean quite a leap in cost. I personally love my Tannoy 5As but recognise that they are pretty 'cooking grade' I read of Focals and PMC and £2000+ and wonder how I could maybe JEEEEUST sneak that past SWMBO'ed on the credit card! But, AS important as monitors is the room, but that is whole new can of worms!

Dave.

Dont know if a hub would improve the recording of the songs, just the signal, it would give this specific audio interface a boost in juice to record a more clean signal. Check this short video out YouTube

Like I said I'm happy with the mix, and I'm going to work on the mastering and loudness some more and see if that helps. Its probably just me.

"Cool dude" here! (bloody not! 72, overweight, one eyed, on meds and at the mo' HUNGRY!)

A piece of kit like an AI or mixer or preamp will use REGULATED internal supplies. This means NO MATTER what DC power you give it the internals will work as specified, no better and no worse. Obviously the supply must be sufficient but anything over the design level is simply not used (a higher than 5V input voltage would be lost as heat and much MORE than 5V and POOF! )

If you want a better AI you need to buy one but FCS have a dead, bang for sure idea of the limitations of the incumbent and WHAT you want from a new one.

Dave.

Buss noise, is a frequent problem on USB powered audio devices. You can buy inline USB monitors, that show how many volts are present on the USB input, and as the current demand increases, the voltage drops, sometimes pretty pathetically - the computer just cannot provide the current a USB device needs. USB1 and 2 are supposed to be able to provide 500mA, and USB3 connectors increase that to 900mA, but as anyone who uses USB chargers knows too well - not all USB sockets can actually provide this. Once the voltage drops, problems creep in. My friend had this with his 2i2 devices, and it looks like Presonus devices are the same.

Using a USB hub to provide the power instead of the computer often works great - as does using a USB3 socket if available. The nasty data noises that creep in can be surprisingly easy to fix, for very little money - and most times it's the computer, not the interface that is to blame.

Buss noise, is a frequent problem on USB powered audio devices. You can buy inline USB monitors, that show how many volts are present on the USB input, and as the current demand increases, the voltage drops, sometimes pretty pathetically - the computer just cannot provide the current a USB device needs. USB1 and 2 are supposed to be able to provide 500mA, and USB3 connectors increase that to 900mA, but as anyone who uses USB chargers knows too well - not all USB sockets can actually provide this. Once the voltage drops, problems creep in. My friend had this with his 2i2 devices, and it looks like Presonus devices are the same.

Using a USB hub to provide the power instead of the computer often works great - as does using a USB3 socket if available. The nasty data noises that creep in can be surprisingly easy to fix, for very little money - and most times it's the computer, not the interface that is to blame.

I have read about this problem many times, mostly here at HR but at other places a few times. All I can say is I have, in the last ten or more years had the following list of AIs and computers.

At least 5 laptops and most of those were pretty cheap jobs. (I have two atmo. This i3 HP and a V cheap E systems.
At least 4 desktops and still have 3. Again, none of them are REMOTELY "Deep Thought" fastest is an Asus MOBO'ed AMD 6core home build.
I have used PCs and lappies at work (Blackstar).

Four totally bus powered USB interfaces, Fast track Pro, Tascam 122, 144, NI KA6, Alesis i02 (won't count the Behrry UCA-202?)

In all this time and with all this kit I have never had the slightest problem with "bus power" . The NI KA6 especially pulls just under the max I from USB 2.0 bur even so it has never failed to work perfectly on any PC, laptop or port. I HAVE tried various AIs on powered hubs? Did not work and in fact the Fast track pro crashed the PC to BSOD!

The only exception was the KA6, works fine on a hub.

Just come to me! If this was such a problem I would expect someone to produce an 'inline' USB power pack? (4xAA and a 7085) Never seen any such.

5V Power Injector for USB on RB411UAHR and RB493G

Found that^ but not quite the full ticket.
Dave.

Back