Clipping with gain on DMP3 all the way down?

bone

Hi, I'm using a D112 mic on my kick going into CH2. of my DMP3, into input 6 of my Delta 1010lt, using GTPro3. I have the low cut button pressed in on the preamp. The rest of the kit is OK, a couple of over heads and snare, But the kick drum is clipping. I've turned down the gain on the DMP3 all the way down. I've turned down the trim on GTPro for that Channel. and I've turned down the volume for channel 6 on my soundcard. I've moved the mic away from the drum and I sware it was worse. When I listen to playback, the meter isn't clipping, but the wave form is way off the map and you can hear it...it's awfull and I'm upset!!! What's my problem?!?!?

bone

Why would you have the lo-cut filter ON when recording a kick? You're losing all your low-end!

Try it with an SM57 or some other dynamic to see if maybe the D112 itself is at fault. If it does it with another mic also then you're definitely clipping something in your signal path. Gain structure mismatch between the DMP3 and the Delta?

I cut the low end to see if it would help. I used a sm57 and it didn't clip and I used the D112 into the mixer without using the DMP3 and it didn't clip. But using the DMP3 with the D112 it clips??

Jeff

Blue Bear, but it sounds ok as long as I don't run it with the Dmp3? Actually I had to turn the gain almost all the way down when I use a sm57 and the Dmp3.

noisedude, Yes, CH1&2 have a preamp. I do have them off. I'm not using 1 or 2 though, I'm using input 6 of the soundcard which does not have a preamp. The Hi/Low button on the DMP3 I had set wrong. I had it out which drives the preamp to be louder, once I pressed it in I was able to record with no clipping. BUT, I still have the gain on the DMP3 all the way down and can't turn it up or I WILL clip. Same when I use the sm57, the gain is all the way down? How much gain are you guys using when you use this preamp? I have 2 overheads going into an Audio Buddy that when I turn the gain all the way down I will get no audible signal. I only turn that gain up to about 7 o'clock on this preamp before it clips.

bone

I'm guessing you've got a gain structure mismatch somewhere in what sounds like an unnecessarily complicated signal path....

Mic --> pre --> recorder is the best (& simplest) way to route your signal.

Blue Bear Sound said:
I'm guessing you've got a gain structure mismatch somewhere in what sounds like an unnecessarily complicated signal path....

Mic --> pre --> recorder is the best (& simplest) way to route your signal.

Umm, thats what I'm doing blue bear, mic-->pre-->recorder. Now, What seems unnecessarily complicated about that? Did you even read my post before your guessing?

Did you not say you were connecting the external mic pre to ch.2 of your Delta that has a pre-amp on it? Two pres in series is not a good idea...........

I have the same thing when I record drums thru a Yamaha mixer. I have the channel fader on zero, and the preamp gain on about 1/2 for the kick & not much more for the snare. Anything more and it clips. Sounds fine tho

bone said:
noisedude, Yes, CH1&2 have a preamp. I do have them off. I'm not using 1 or 2 though, I'm using input 6 of the soundcard which does not have a preamp.
That's what I was checking. I've never had a problem like this. Where is it clipping? In the preamp or in the computer?

noisedude said:
That's what I was checking. I've never had a problem like this. Where is it clipping? In the preamp or in the computer?

I had the Hi/Low button "not" pressed in, which is a high gain signal, once I pressed it in I was fine...BUT I can only turn up the gain on the DMP3 to about 7:30 or half way up to the first notch. On playback the meters on the GTPro isn't clipping, but when recording the meter clips in GTPro.

How much Gain go you use with the DMP3?

My experience with the DMP3 is that it has a really hot output. I've been using mine with a pair of MXL 603's as drum overheads. Going directly into the soundcard with the gain all the way down resulted in clipping. My solution was to run the outputs of the DMP3 through my Rane ME15B graphic eq and use the output knobs of the Rane to control the level to the soundcard.

I haven't used the DMP-3 myself (my Soundcraft M12 should be arriving tomorrow!!) so I dunno if that's typical. It sounds like you have an absolute tonne of preamp headroom though ... !

MadAudio - I think I should commandeer your signature, if that's ok ;) Gave my dad a talking league of gentlemen birthday card today ("Happy local birthday!", "I hope you get lots of preccccious things!").

Back