Check out these guitar tones!

Welcome to the board! Listening as I type...

Very sweet. The tone is great--but so is the playing. Great bends and certainly less linear in general than the average bear. I like your phrasing too--the guitar is speaking, not just spewing notes.

Great job. Hope to hear more from you around here. I'd love to hear a bit about your gear/signal chain.

Last edited:
Welcome to the baord! Listening as I type...

Very sweet. The tone is great--but so is the playing. Great bends and certainly less linear in general than the average bear. I like your phrasing too--the guitar is speaking, not just spewing notes.

Great job. Hope to hear more from you around here. I'd love to hear a bit about your gear/signal chain.

Thanks for the kind words!! The guitar is a Strat with Lollar Strat Special pups. The rhythm parts are the clean channel of an Ampeg VL1002 designed by Lee Jackson with an Eventide Timefactor in the amp's FX loop, the lead is the same amp in the gain channel with the Timefactor. I never have the guitar's volume all the way up. The speaker is a 70's Marshall 4x12 with Pre rola G12Ms. No pick. SM 57 straight into my Yamaha DAW. The combination of Lee Jackson amps and old Marshall speakers is the key. I have an old 8x10 too that has a tremendous tone.

My main music page has a variety of stuff including jazz saxophone, and live clips with my organ trio with more fiery guitar work. Feel free to browse around. I will be adding stuff regulary.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=823181

This sucks. I've spent the last hour trying to coax a half-decent sound out of my gear but have failed miserably. Very very very nice.

As a matter of interest, why do you cut the volume on the guitar?

I work the guitar's volume control to go from pretty clean to heavy gain when using the od channel of my amp. I get a good singing tone in the middle range of the control and always have someplace to go if I want a note to feed back or really sing out. Also rolling off a little volume and tone on the guitar can prevent buzziness and harshness when using a lot of gain. I'm always trying to achieve a vocal quality....

These amps, Ampeg VL1002, VL502 are the best kept secret out there. They go for $500 on ebay and they have a shimmery clean channel and the best soherent saturation in the gain channel. Coupled with Pre Rola speakers, which aren't cheap but are unequaled, it's easy to get great tone.

Man, that is just superb.You have spent alot of time listening to my two
favorite guitar guys.(Roy and Jeff)Drop that band in a box and get some
players with you and let me know where I can catch you at.Awesome!

Thanks bro!! :):) I was really influenced a lot by Phil Brown though RB and JB have always been favs. I play around the Bay Area. I play with an organ trio called the Big Trio amongst others. There are live clips at my Soundclick page both at the Telewacker's Demo site and more so at The Big Trio page. Check out my other clips too if you like. I have jazz clips with sax also.

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=telewacker

I aslo use a VL1002 and I love it. Unfortunately, last weekend it got banged around in transport and it's not working right now. :( Here's hoping it's nothing major!

I aslo use a VL1002 and I love it. Unfortunately, last weekend it got banged around in transport and it's not working right now. :( Here's hoping it's nothing major!

Your one of the few who are hip to these tone machines!! And they sound good at any volume too! Hope your amp's ok....

Your one of the few who are hip to these tone machines!! And they sound good at any volume too! Hope your amp's ok....

Yeah I just fixed it minutes ago!
It was that common problem where the heater fries that molex connector on the tube board because they can't take all the heat. Easy fix, you just solder the wires directly to the board.

Have you experimented with different tubes in yours? Mine still has the stock SLM Electronics "HOT RODS" tubes. I've got some JJ's in a Blue Voodoo that I'm thinking about throwing in there....

Back