cheapish bass

ollie99

hey guys, it was my birthday on friday!
basically now I am rich and I want to buy a bass guitar as it is very impractical to borrow the bass guitarist in my band's bass every time I want to record bass.
I am looking to spend about £110 and I know that his bass cost about much and although that isn't the best quality obviously I think it is sufficient for my recording needs. I had this in mind, any comments?

thanks

Look for ebay steals and be patient. Your budget is right on the "will eventually disappoint" line.... If you are prepared to do a bit of setup work and invest a bit of time then second hand is the way to go..

Look for ebay steals and be patient. Your budget is right on the "will eventually disappoint" line.... If you are prepared to do a bit of setup work and invest a bit of time then second hand is the way to go..

I forgot to say actually, the bass I suggested is similar cost and quality to what the bassist's guitar is, he's had it for quite a while now and I've used that for recording before and it is absolutely fine and doesn't seem to be wearing

So get one.....
Do it........
I have a Wesley bass that I bought on Ebay back in 2005 for £120. I would've liked the transparent one but they said I won the blue. Anyway, I've played live many times with it and it blows people away. I've used it for recording tons of times. It's a 5 string but they do 4 and 5 string basses. I think it's a good bass and for what you want to do, you can't go wrong.
So get one.....
And just in case the pigeon hasn't delivered the message
get one.....

At least around here, you can find old American-made Peavey basses for $150 or less. These things are well made and sound pretty good. Do not make the mistake of equating monetary value with instrument quality on the used market. Sure, you usually get what you pay for to a certain point, but there are gems out there.

Never heard of that brand, but I would echo what others have said - find a used bass. I got a Squire J bass for $99 on ebay that is perfect for what I need it for.

thanks for the replies. The only thing why I'm not too sure about buying used is that because I haven't ever even had a bass lesson and I am an electric guitarist. I'm worried that if I buy used then if there is a tiny problem I won't really understand how to fix it, I mean it's unlikely I know but if it's knew then i know that it is in top condition

At least around here, you can find old American-made Peavey basses for $150 or less. These things are well made and sound pretty good. Do not make the mistake of equating monetary value with instrument quality on the used market. Sure, you usually get what you pay for to a certain point, but there are gems out there.
What he said^^ I've got a great old Peavey bass

What he said^^ I've got a great old Peavey bass
are peavey's that common used in the UK?
Here they're cheap as hell because they didn't cost that much in the first place but they're made here.

But yes ..... a used Peavey bass would be a great beginner bass.

It's funny, up until the mid 90s, I only associated Peavey with amps, but in '94 I bought a Peavey Reactor guitar, a sort of telecaster copy. I didn't know they made guitars but I still have and use it. It's my only electric. It does what I want it to.

SX basses are quite nice for the money. I do not have one personally but I have played them. I know they have some European distribution however I do not know the website. In the US is around 100 bucks for a P or J bass clone.

are peavey's that common used in the UK?
Here they're cheap as hell because they didn't cost that much in the first place but they're made here.

But yes ..... a used Peavey bass would be a great beginner bass.

You can get old peavey stuff here. I wouldn't give a whole lot for either their guitars or amps.. but thats just me.

I would go used as well. I was in the same boat a few years ago and the yamaha RB basses got a lot of plugs from members here. The only one I could try locally was not to my liking though, and I wound up buying a peavey bass for just over $100 US. I've been reasonably happy with it.

My apologies to any bassists, but I really think that in the home recording/hobbyist realm, the bass guitar is one area where you can skimp. As long as it's playable and stays in tune, you should be able to get a decent tone out of it. My suspicion is that a nice bass would make finding a good tone quicker and easier, and it might be more versatile or whatever, but with a little effort you can get most anything to sound good.

I'm assuming you're not going to be doing crazy jazz slap bass solos or anything.

I've heard a lot of tunes in the clinic over the years where the bass sounded horrible even though the poster had some high dollar instrument with a nice DI box. Conversely, a lot of the best sounding bass tracks were revealed to be squires or other cheapish models.

"I've heard a lot of tunes in the clinic over the years where the bass sounded horrible even though the poster had some high dollar instrument with a nice DI box. Conversely, a lot of the best sounding bass tracks were revealed to be squires or other cheapish models."

It sure does help, to be able to play.:thumbs up:

I hate their amps although a Classic 30 is an amp a lotta players like.
I also hate their guitars ...... but their basses are pretty good value I think.

The only piece of kit from Peavey I ever got along with was an old TNT. Even that was soon old and scratchy whenever I dialed anything in when it switched on.

I would go used as well. I was in the same boat a few years ago and the yamaha RB basses got a lot of plugs from members here. The only one I could try locally was not to my liking though, and I wound up buying a peavey bass for just over $100 US. I've been reasonably happy with it.

My apologies to any bassists, but I really think that in the home recording/hobbyist realm, the bass guitar is one area where you can skimp. As long as it's playable and stays in tune, you should be able to get a decent tone out of it. My suspicion is that a nice bass would make finding a good tone quicker and easier, and it might be more versatile or whatever, but with a little effort you can get most anything to sound good.

I'm assuming you're not going to be doing crazy jazz slap bass solos or anything.

I've heard a lot of tunes in the clinic over the years where the bass sounded horrible even though the poster had some high dollar instrument with a nice DI box. Conversely, a lot of the best sounding bass tracks were revealed to be squires or other cheapish models.

That's eactly my thinking! I'm not very good at the bass, but I can play it perfectly to what level I need to be able to play and with the bassist's cheap bass I can find the sound I want - so getting a similar bass for a similar price but new is a good option then surely?

and with the bassist's cheap bass I can find the sound I want - so getting a similar bass for a similar price but new is a good option then surely?
Yes.

No apologies necessary. As a bass player, I agree.

Back