Cheap TSR8 on eBay

arjoll said:
Just spotted this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7337147353&category=41480&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1.

Not a bad looking buy it now price if you're able to have a look at it. As normal they ship to the US only :(. There are a some nice looking MSR16's there as well. And a Ferrograph :)
Ferrographs are easy to find on ebay, Vortexions less so.

The TSR-8 intrigues me, though. He says it's got Dolby. Now there were some that did use Dolby-S, but looking at the photo, I think it says 'DBX Type I' at the bottom like mine. Perhaps he's just a little confused. Not much point in me asking as it's US only.

jpmorris said:
Ferrographs are easy to find on ebay, Vortexions less so.
Yes, there have been a few Ferrographs in recent months, I'm looking out for a hold-in solenoid at the moment so have added it to my saved searches on Trademe, and keep an eye out on eBay as well. The great thing about Trademe is that its basically NZ sellers only, unlike ebay.co.nz which displays a cute picture of a kiwi on the homepage but then just reverts to ebay.com when you start doing anything.

jpmorris said:
The TSR-8 intrigues me, though. He says it's got Dolby. Now there were some that did use Dolby-S, but looking at the photo, I think it says 'DBX Type I' at the bottom like mine. Perhaps he's just a little confused. Not much point in me asking as it's US only.
I think just confusion. One of the MSR-16's says it has "Dolby dbx" when it also is 'dbx type I'. The MSR-16S was Dolby S, the ones on there appear to be the standard dbx MSR-16. I don't think the TSR-8 had a Dolby S version.

Cya
Andrew

cjacek said:
"0" feedback seller and no picture = be careful .. ;)
...and on the other side of the world with a >20kg recorder = not bloody likely!

I have my series 2 with dead solenoid and series 3 in unknown condition, I think that's enough at the moment.

arjoll said:
I don't think the TSR-8 had a Dolby S version.

One of the things which prompted me to get an analogue recorder was an editorial rant in Computer Shopper around 2002, where the author 'solved' his latency problems by purchasing a 1/2" recorder with 8 tracks and Dolby-S. He didn't say what it was, but from the spec I deduced it to be a late model TSR-8, although I suppose it might have been something else in that format (Revox C278?).

I'm sure there were a few late TSR-8s that used Dolby-S instead of DBX, but I can't find anything to back that up, so I guess I could be wrong there.

To my knowledge, only the MSR16 and MSR24 offered second generation, Dolby S models. The TSR-8 was always a dbx type I unit.

Unfortunately, many ebay sellers throw a ton of incorrect information out there and because "it's on the web, so it must be true", mentalities exist out there, dis-information is king. ;)

Cheers! :)

Back