Cheap Sunglasses Guitar tone

A GUY NAMED JON

I was curious if anybody knew what Billy Gibbons (ZZ top) is using to get the guitar tone he does on the song "Cheap Sunglasses" It sounds like an octave pedal or something.

A GUY NAMED JON said:
I was curious if anybody knew what Billy Gibbons (ZZ top) is using to get the guitar tone he does on the song "Cheap Sunglasses" It sounds like an octave pedal or something.

He's using the "Cool" pedal.

When the audience starts getting bored he just stomps on the pedal and a subliminal message is sent out to all: "WOW! This guy is reallllllly cool!".

hixmix said:

When the audience starts getting bored he just stomps on the pedal and a subliminal message is sent out to all: "WOW! This guy is reallllllly cool!".

Are you talking about this one?

hixmix said:

I was looking for a serious answer, Dude. Come on some one out there has to know.

A GUY NAMED JON said:
I was looking for a serious answer, Dude. Come on some one out there has to know.
The only thing I know about Billy's tone is that he plays with a mexican peso for a guitar pick. I don't know anything about his amps, guitars or any of that. Back when I was into them big, I wasn't concerned about getting his tone, I was just learning how to play guitar, and was trying to play his licks...

I believe he's using "Pearly Gates," his favorite Les Paul, as well as using his fingers on his picking hand. It's been written about in Guitar Player mag interviews in the past. As far as effects go, you'll never duplicate whatever he's got. The man's got serious toys, techs and tweaks.

Tio Ed
Austin, Texas

There is also a distorted electric piano that is actually louder than the guitar most of the time. It might be the combination of tones that you are chasing.

As far as his rig, that is going to be hard to chase down, since that song came out in the early 1970's. I doubt he was using pearly gates pickups or a whole lot of effects at that time, since there really wasn't that many available then.

Back