Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Superlux

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Cad

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Other

Votes: 92 46.5%

• Total voters
msh - thank you for the correction - i would not want to slight either of those fine young companies - both are designing and selling quality products for extraordinary prices. i have enjoyed the pair of omnis i ordered from you - they serve excellently as close mics for acoustic guitar.

Cheap is also a function of what you can get mics for. Although people jump on Guitar Center every day for their notoriously clueless sales staff, I've made killings on mics because I was in the right place at the right time. These are prices that I have paid at the Natick, Massachusetts Guitar Center for *brand new* mics:
Oktava MK319 $50
Oktava MC012 $50
AKG D690 $36
AKG D3800 $100
AKG C414B-ULS $600
AKG C2000B $99
Behringer ECM8000 $36

(OK- and you have to add 5% sales tax to all of that)

I still own and use every one of those mics, and several of them are workhorses.-Richie

I have consistantly beat those prices at the KC Musicians friend distribution center myself...some of the stuff by half.

Throwing in 2 MXL 603s for $40

+ 1 Apex 210 ribbon mic,ive recorded great Dirty guitar with this,About 1 foot away from my 2x12 cab .The only issue about this mic is its fragility...i mean dont drop it :)

Frank:)

i know i mentioned this in another thread but what about the AV-JEFE STM9? anyone own ANY mic by av-jefe or av-leader? i'm really curious about the condensers, mainly.

i know i mentioned this in another thread but what about the AV-JEFE STM9? anyone own ANY mic by av-jefe or av-leader? i'm really curious about the condensers, mainly.

ah...the only information available seems to be a Google search that turns up an Alibaba search result for a Taiwan manufacturer. Do you think the company says "JEFE" with a Spanish pronunciation? A Chinese mic with a Hispanic accent, that would be cool.

I only buy the mongo rediculous top of the line mics from collectors. U47s etc. I feel they have the best sound and only set me back like $10,000 and up.

I have an EV PL11 that I use on snare. I like that it has no bass proximity effect and to me I prefer it over a SM57 for snare.

My Neumann mics are actually in the long term my cheapest mics in that the ones I've bought are worth much more than what I paid for them, so I've actually made a profit owning them, while all the cheap mics I own are worth less than what I paid for them.

Funny, but of all the gear I've bought the most economical is actually my best stuff - vintage Neumanns, Gretsch and K. Zildjians.

I must interject that MXL is NOT that good.

My last band recorded vocal tracks with a MXL 990 at a friend's home studio.

Once I got the tracks on my computer for mixdown, I had trouble getting a decent sound from the vocal tracks.
Sure the MXL is a great mic for the money....but I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy one for recording. It's got to be the most generic sounding mic I ever heard.
Plain, flat, dead...no life or personality.

Just my 2¢

I must interject that MXL is NOT that good.

My last band recorded vocal tracks with a MXL 990 at a friend's home studio.

Once I got the tracks on my computer for mixdown, I had trouble getting a decent sound from the vocal tracks.
Sure the MXL is a great mic for the money....but I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy one for recording. It's got to be the most generic sounding mic I ever heard.
Plain, flat, dead...no life or personality.

Just my 2¢

I think of all the really cheapo mics...they do seem to have the most usable.

Osp

I use some OSP DL-330's and they work really decent. Not quite up to the Shure SM57 but close. A good clone that I would recommend to anyone.

Back