Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Superlux

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Cad

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Other

Votes: 92 46.5%

• Total voters
I said other - cause I wouldn't likely take any on that list, except maybe a CAD - but not from their cheap department. These should be on this list: MXL, Joe Meek, and Studio Projects

Jacob

Yea, but i was thinkin like...really cheap. MXL should be on there, but i knew everyone would vote for that, when i made the poll i was mainly thinking of SDC.

jkokura said:
I said other - cause I wouldn't likely take any on that list, except maybe a CAD - but not from their cheap department. These should be on this list: MXL, Joe Meek, and Studio Projects

Jacob

Add Kel to that list and I vote for all of them.

Ben

Scrubucket7 said:
Yea, but i was thinkin like...really cheap. MXL should be on there, but i knew everyone would vote for that, when i made the poll i was mainly thinking of SDC.

well...MXL 770, 990, 603, 991 and 993 all would work in this catagory. Also, the JM27 from Joe Meek...I'd pick a 603 or a JM27 over anything from your poll options...

Jacob

I've had ribbon mics on my mind lately. In the Other category I'd add Alctron Ningbo - variously branded as Nady, Apex, Shiny Box, Thommann, Stellar or Pacific Pro Audio.

Alctron is making really fine ribbon mic products. Much easier to get right than a large diaphram condenser mic. I don't think we going to see any "Chinese ribbon mic" backlash like we're experiencing with the condenser mics that are slammed for being spitty or harsh.

As far as reliability goes, I think it comes down to the after sales support offered by the particular brand a buyer goes with.

Waiting on my NADY Tcm 1150 Tube to come in. Once I get it, I will be able to give a review. I figure if anything, I should be able to play with different tubes to vary its sound. At least I think thats the case. If not then I'll just resell it on ebay.

I have mics from mxl and cad. I guess I feel more enthusiastic about the cad mics. My m179's were only $150 new and they are incredible for the money, and very solid performers without consideration of cost. My M9 was 3 bills new and is a joy. I have never heard any of the "cheap" cad mics, i.e. the gxl series or whatever it is. I suspect they are indistinguishable from every other chinese job in that bracket. The good cad's are american made and a little more unique from model to model and the very best ones are supposed to be very desirable. Hard to eally compare them to the other choices on the list, some of which may even share the same guts.

I voted for superlux. My PRA-218b gets used on the kick most of the time.

I just ordered a matched set of Joe Meek JM27's with shockmounts for $90.

I feel that it's not possible to to properly answer this without discussing the application for each of the "cheap" mics.

I've used these "cheap mics" with good results for the following;

MXL 603 - acoustic guitar, OH drum mics
SM57 - drum OH, snare, toms, vocals, guitar amps
SM58 - drum OH, snare, toms, vocals, guitar amps(weird how they work the same ;) )
MXL 67 - vocals
MXL V69 - vocals, guitar amp, OH drums, room mic for drums, acoustic guitar and out front for guitar amps
Audix I5 - snare, toms and guitar amps (I like this mic)
Senn E609 - toms, snare and guitar amps

These are the "cheap" mics I've worked with. A few will do ya but after that, a taste of some better Q stuff and these will sit around as utility mics. Most of these now get strictly used for drum kit and "messing around" with.

As I hinted early on, my recommendation would be to carefully evaluate your need and purchase accordingly and always...before you buy...try.

ST B-1 is a great mic. Cheap, yes, but no doubt a true pro mic that could be and is used in state of the art top of the line studios.

Superlux and Avlex, Great mics for dirt cheap as well.

Nady CM 100, Fantasic mic for around $40 bucks.

Shure 57, what's not to love?

FACT is there are tons of cheap ass mics out today that sound great for what most of us need. I can't tell you how many times I see people on these type forums spending $400 - $1000 and up on a "real" mic and then listen to their "work" which sounds comparable to recordings I used to do with a radio shack mic and tascam porta studio 15 years ago. I'm not against a good high end mic, but recorded with them enough to know the difference is MUCH less than those "in the know" would try and make you believe. The 57 alone proves a great mic doesn't have to cost more than pocket change!

Last edited:
Cad mics. I bought an original E-100 years back and my buddy dropped the mic right on it's head and cracked the circuit board rendering the unit useless. I had it replaced 2 days out of warranty, good company, decent mic. Still use it.

Back