Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Superlux

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Cad

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Other

Votes: 92 46.5%

• Total voters
maybe the mxl sliver series (is that what they're called?) would be up there. but even the mxl 67g is above working just "ok". and some of mxl's other mics sound just plain amazing.

and ive heard some really sweet sounding octava mics.

---
any mic for gaming/i.m. talk is crap, yet....it started me out so well...lol

I have a Weconic dynamic that i haven't got round to trying out yet. Not sure if I'll even bother

Its all about the Superlux. I got a GREAT sound out of the Pro series drum mics along with a beta 57. Fantastic.

BobbyBalow said:
Its all about the Superlux. I got a GREAT sound out of the Pro series drum mics along with a beta 57. Fantastic.

You know, the more of the mid/upper-priced Superlux mics I use, the more impressed I am with them. I have an FK-2 I use on kick drum and couldn't be happier. I get a comparable sound to a Beta-52.

I also recently aquired 3 CM-H8A and immediately noticed they do not have the usual hyped high-end, and have a very good mid-range presence!

In refrence to cheap mics (which is pretty much all I can afford :p ), I'm a fan of MXL, Sure and Sennheiser mics.

Depends what you mean by cheap - the SP T3 is very cheap for a multi-pattern valve mic and sounds superb.

However, I could manage with an SP B1 or sE SE2200A for most applications to be honest. It wouldn't destroy my recordings.

beezelbubba said:
It doesn't really matter what mic you use.It's all in the room and the pre-amp!
Agreed.

A good engineer with a good mic-pre in a halfway decent room will make a 57 sound better than most LDC's.

beezelbubba said:
It doesn't really matter what mic you use.

Awww darn, and here I just wasted all my money on a nice tube mic when I could have achieved great results recording my operatic singer with a Shure Green Bullet. Are you really saying that mic selection doesn't matter?!

riffy said:
Awww darn, and here I just wasted all my money on a nice tube mic when I could have achieved great results recording my operatic singer with a Shure Green Bullet. Are you really saying that mic selection doesn't matter?!
That is eactly what I'm saying!I can make my '58 sound better than a Neuman U87 in the right room w/ the right pre!

beezelbubba said:
That is eactly what I'm saying!I can make my '58 sound better than a Neuman U87 in the right room w/ the right pre!

My friend walters said that the proper milky creamy compression doesn't hurt either.

Back