Champ Replacement Speaker

pohaku

As it turns out, my 13 year old daughter has been campaigning for a Wii with Guitar Hero for Christmas. Sigh. As I am already on the record that no video game console will ever pass the threshold of my house, I'd much rather she have a real guitar and amp instead.

So, now in addition to the CIJ floral tele in my earlier posts, I've picked up a 76 silverface Champ to go with it. Since I apparently can't leave well enough alone (I ultimately opted to replace the stock tele pups with an SD Five-Two in the bridge and an SD Vintage Rhythm in the neck), I'm looking to replace the Fender Special speaker with something better (I figure I'm going to be hearing this amp a lot so it might as well sound good). I'm considering either a Kendrick or a Weber - maybe a Weber 8A125T. The number of possible speaker choices is kinda overwhelming - especially when you really can't listen first. :confused:

Anyone care to risk a recommendation? Doesn't have to be Kendrick or Weber, I'm interested in about anything that will sound better than the stock speaker. Anyone know the relative differences in sound among the assorted Weber 8" speakers?

Thanks!

Man, you buy your daughter a vintage Champ for her first practice amp??? What a spoiled kid.

I hate you.

Not to be a dick, but if your daughter wants guitar hero and a wii, an actual guitar and amp won't cut it, even if it's a kickass package which it sounds. I don't know the lucky young lady, but in my opinion, you don't actually desire guitar hero if you want to play guitar.

You said it yourself when you state "I'd much rather she have a real guitar and amp instead"... but what would SHE rather?

If you've got enough cash to spare, hell yeah get her the tele and the champ (I would love it haha)- but spend the money you're thinking of burning on a speaker on a Wii and she'll get her christmas wish and you will too (and let her work out for herself that guitar hero is actually pretty lame - shouldn't take too long). And, let's be realistic, you're typing on a computer, so a video games console has already entered your house.

(edit: at the risk of offending "vintage lovers" - I think most any decent speaker will sound better than a tired old speaker from 1976 IMO)...

Not to be a dick, but if your daughter wants guitar hero and a wii, an actual guitar and amp won't cut it, even if it's a kickass package which it sounds. I don't know the lucky young lady, but in my opinion, you don't actually desire guitar hero if you want to play guitar.

You said it yourself when you state "I'd much rather she have a real guitar and amp instead"... but what would SHE rather?

If you've got enough cash to spare, hell yeah get her the tele and the champ (I would love it haha)- but spend the money you're thinking of burning on a speaker on a Wii and she'll get her christmas wish and you will too (and let her work out for herself that guitar hero is actually pretty lame - shouldn't take too long). And, let's be realistic, you're typing on a computer, so a video games console has already entered your house.

(edit: at the risk of offending "vintage lovers" - I think most any decent speaker will sound better than a tired old speaker from 1976 IMO)...

I don't know about that. She already plays GH at her friend's houses (apparently she's pretty good at it) and she is already taking guitar lessons (along with voice, piano and sax - right now she's better on sax than guitar, but she's playing jazz on the sax and Cheap Trick on the guitar). She's currently using my LP standard and one of my amps to practice. If she's going to play with friends (she knows at least one boy who plays), I'd prefer she use her own guitar than one of mine. Having her own practice amp is a convenience (and it was a good deal).

While she can obviously already use one of our house computers, it's clearly not the same as a game console (much less a Wii). I'm just not interested in having her blow more of her time on a Wii (or any other video game console for that matter). So far I've successfully resisted the lure of the dark side. The texting cell phone and the Disney Channel are bad enough already:D

I don't know about that. She already plays GH at her friend's houses (apparently she's pretty good at it) and she is already taking guitar lessons (along with voice, piano and sax - right now she's better on sax than guitar, but she's playing jazz on the sax and Cheap Trick on the guitar). She's currently using my LP standard and one of my amps to practice. If she's going to play with friends (she knows at least one boy who plays), I'd prefer she use her own guitar than one of mine. Having her own practice amp is a convenience (and it was a good deal).

While she can obviously already use one of our house computers, it's clearly not the same as a game console (much less a Wii). I'm just not interested in having her blow more of her time on a Wii (or any other video game console for that matter). So far I've successfully resisted the lure of the dark side. The texting cell phone and the Disney Channel are bad enough already:D
Ah well I gladly stand corrected!!

And I concur that game consoles are a time waster of epic proportions. I have 6. Sigh.

Perhaps you could take all the strings off the tele and put coloured stickers in the first few fret spaces as a bit of christmas humour... never mind.

It is Christmas time get her what she wants not what you want her to have
if she wants wii and guitar hero get it for her.
make the guitar and amp Icing on the cake not a disapointment.
and I agree with the idea of spending the money you was going to use on modding the guitar and amp to go towards the Wii and game.

I'm undeniably an indulgent parent, but there's a line to be drawn too. I mean, she'd also like a teacup poodle and a Porsche 911. Neither is likely to happen in my lifetime -- at least not as a gift from me, Christmas or not.

She's been campaigning for a Wii in part because she'd like one and in part because I doubt that she expects to get her own guitar since she has access to most of mine. I think she'll like the guitar. I mean, after all, it's blue with flowers and has a maple neck. What teenage girl could resist?:D

I'm undeniably an indulgent parent, but there's a line to be drawn too. I mean, she'd also like a teacup poodle and a Porsche 911. Neither is likely to happen in my lifetime -- at least not as a gift from me, Christmas or not.

She's been campaigning for a Wii in part because she'd like one and in part because I doubt that she expects to get her own guitar since she has access to most of mine. I think she'll like the guitar. I mean, after all, it's blue with flowers and has a maple neck. What teenage girl could resist?:D

I'm with you. You're the dad, and I trust that you know best. There's no comparison between video games and music--and it sounds like she's bright enough to appreciate that.

I went through this with my son when Xbox's were all the rage. I held out and I'm glad I did. I sensed he was at a formative stage and didn't want him getting hooked on video games at that point. I got lucky.

Oh he's got one now--but he bought it himself a couple years later. Funny thing is, he hardly ever plays it--especially after the first couple months. That was two or three models ago, and he's never wanted the new ones. He's an outdoorsman of 18 now and the Xbox is dusty.

Whew...

Your decision about what is the best gift for your daughter is your decision, do what you think is best. Meanwhile back to your original question... If you want the classic Fender sound, why not opt for a JBL for a replacement speaker. I say this as a long time Fender amp user. There is just something about JBL speakers that brings out the best in any Fender amp.

Man, you buy your daughter a vintage Champ for her first practice amp??? What a spoiled kid.

I hate you.

Could be worse. I coulda bought her a tweed Champ or a Bogner.

On the other hand, it was a lot cheaper than buying her a Blues Junior which is what I was considering for a new small amp. Not as loud either, which is important as she will probably have it in her bedroom rather than in the basement with the rest of the music and recording gear. :D

Now I'll just have to keep her from stealing my pedals.

You might want to consider that if it's the Wii AND GH, then she's getting a boat load of activities not just limited to Guitar Hero. You'd be suprized how well the Wii goes over with all age groups - it a blast on the holidays. Kids, grandpa, crabby old aunt Martha and that smart-assed boyfriend your college age daughter is hanging out with, can all sit in the same room and have a great time together! Even the basic Wii sports stuff can keep the crowds entertained for hours.

I'm a hardcore, first person shooter PC gamer personally. But even "I" look forward to playing with the entire family during the holidays. I even have my own "Me" on the Wii (or is it Mii on the Wii?).

That's plus side of the Wii.

As far as a real guitar goes - I went the cheap Squire Bullet for $80 and a little Roland microcube from GC. Gave the Bullet a decent set up. The kids get to fart around on a guitar that can stay in tune (until they do something to it) with a bunch of effects on the amp.

When they want to do something serious by themselves - they are welcomed to use just about any of my guitars/amps.

My 14 year old daughter is fairly responsible with stuff. My 12 yo twin boys are a "slightly" different story.

Good luck with whatever direction you take. My personal situation said - do both. Plus I've gotten them some other stuff to play with over the years - a nice Suzuki keyboard, Hart e-drums, etc. They take lessons off and on and have all learned to play with each of the instruments on the there own time.

I figure if you've got enough crap sitting around - if nothing else they'll accidentally pick something up and be the better for it.

You might want to consider that if it's the Wii AND GH, then she's getting a boat load of activities not just limited to Guitar Hero. You'd be suprized how well the Wii goes over with all age groups - it a blast on the holidays. Kids, grandpa, crabby old aunt Martha and that smart-assed boyfriend your college age daughter is hanging out with, can all sit in the same room and have a great time together! Even the basic Wii sports stuff can keep the crowds entertained for hours.

I'm a hardcore, first person shooter PC gamer personally. But even "I" look forward to playing with the entire family during the holidays. I even have my own "Me" on the Wii (or is it Mii on the Wii?).

That's plus side of the Wii.

As far as a real guitar goes - I went the cheap Squire Bullet for $80 and a little Roland microcube from GC. Gave the Bullet a decent set up. The kids get to fart around on a guitar that can stay in tune (until they do something to it) with a bunch of effects on the amp.

When they want to do something serious by themselves - they are welcomed to use just about any of my guitars/amps.

My 14 year old daughter is fairly responsible with stuff. My 12 yo twin boys are a "slightly" different story.

Good luck with whatever direction you take. My personal situation said - do both. Plus I've gotten them some other stuff to play with over the years - a nice Suzuki keyboard, Hart e-drums, etc. They take lessons off and on and have all learned to play with each of the instruments on the there own time.

I figure if you've got enough crap sitting around - if nothing else they'll accidentally pick something up and be the better for it.

Aside from the video games, your house sounds like our house. Everyone takes music lessons (me and my wife too). We have an acoustic piano and a Roland XP-80 in the living room. One kid plays flute and the other kid plays sax. Both take voice and piano lessons (going on 11 years for one and 8 years for the other). No drums, but all my recording gear and guitars, bass and amps are in the basement.

I've avoided the video games just because I know they can suck up a tremendous amount of time - especially for my 13 year old who is our technology maven - she programs the entire family's phones and appears to live on her cell phone. My 16 year old could care less. They have full enough schedules between music lessons, school, sports, drama classes and circus classes, without adding the "attractive nuisance" of video games to the mix. Just my preference in any event. I'm sure it works differently for others.

Get the alnico 8 inch Weber, not the ceramic one.

British Series - 8" models - AlNiCo Blue Pup 8

Webers require more break in time than most speakers, but in the long run this speaker will not disappoint! It's a far sight better than the 8 inch Jensens.

Get the alnico 8 inch Weber, not the ceramic one.

British Series - 8" models - AlNiCo Blue Pup 8

Webers require more break in time than most speakers, but in the long run this speaker will not disappoint! It's a far sight better than the 8 inch Jensens.

Thanks! I was wondering about the difference between the alnico and the ceramic versions of the same Weber speaker. I was guessing that I'd want the alnico rather than the ceramic. How bright is the Blue Pup compared to the standard Vintage Weber? Does it break up as early?

I've had all the speakers you're thinking about.....and I would actually go with the 8F125.

I've had 3 champs and 4 webers in them--here's my breakdown.

8A125: Installed in a '76 Champ (bought here on HR.com years ago). Great speaker, "vintagey" sounding, loud, heavy and aggressive. Maybe a little dark (could've been the JJ tubes). I sold the champ to my buddy and he LOVES it. I get to hear and play it every couple weeks and have first "buy back" rights if he ever sells it. It's a great little amp--i sold it when i bought the '66 Champ below.

8F125: Installed in a '74 Vibro Champ. Everything I liked about the 8A125 but more/better. A little more forward, a little brighter (could be the NOS GE 12ax7) and does great with pedals. Doesn't overdrive as quickly as the Alnico version......but I never get my champs up loud enough to do that anyway. This is my "go to" small amp.

Alnico Sig 8: This is Ted's "direct replacement" for the original stock Fender speaker. And it sounds a LOT like one. So if you want the "stock" tone, this is the one to get. I've got one installed in a '66 Champ for that very reason....it sounds like the speaker that came in the '66 (only without the 40 years of play on it). Tonally, though, I prefer the 8F125.

Alnico Blue Pup: Voxy sounding and dark. Cleans are nothing to write home about with this one. However, overdriven (and with dirt pedals) is where it shines. WONDERFUL breakup. But clean.....largely meh in my book. Currently installed in a Vox Pathfinder 15R--excellent in that amp, much better than the stock speaker. If crunch is your goal, this is a good choice......but it's nothing like what a "champ" sounds like.

Anyway.....I would steer you towards the 8F125 as that's the one I prefer. They are VERY similar sounding speakers, the ceramic's just a little "more". Ted's descriptions on his website are spot on, IMO.

I wouldn't opt for the "T" either. Weber speakers are a little dark sounding until they're broken in, at which point they open up really nicely. Once broken in, the "T" might be a little spikey or icepicky, champs don't usually need brightening up--and if they do, put a brighter 12ax7 in there. Of course, it takes around 30 hours of playing to break one in--you can order them "pre-broken in" from Ted.

I think a Champ and a tele is a great present! :-D

cheers,
wade

PS--you wanna be a dork? get a 2x8 cabinet and outfit with an 8A125 and 8F125. :D

I've had all the speakers you're thinking about.....and I would actually go with the 8F125.

8A125: Installed in a '76 Champ (bought here on HR.com years ago). Great speaker, "vintagey" sounding, loud, heavy and aggressive. Maybe a little dark (could've been the JJ tubes). I sold the champ to my buddy and he LOVES it. I get to hear and play it every couple weeks and have first "buy back" rights if he ever sells it. It's a great little amp--i sold it when i bought the '66 Champ below.

8F125: Installed in a '74 Vibro Champ. Everything I liked about the 8A125 but more/better. A little more forward, a little brighter (could be the NOS GE 12ax7) and does great with pedals. Doesn't overdrive as quickly as the Alnico version......but I never get my champs up loud enough to do that anyway. This is my "go to" small amp.

Alnico Sig 8: This is Ted's "direct replacement" for the original stock Fender speaker. And it sounds a LOT like one. So if you want the "stock" tone, this is the one to get. I've got one installed in a '66 Champ for that very reason....it sounds like the speaker that came in the '66 (only without the 40 years of play on it). Tonally, though, I prefer the 8F125.

Alnico Blue Pup: Voxy sounding and dark. Cleans are nothing to write home about with this one. However, overdriven (and with dirt pedals) is where it shines. WONDERFUL breakup. But clean.....largely meh in my book. Currently installed in a Vox Pathfinder 15R--excellent in that amp, much better than the stock speaker. If crunch is your goal, this is a good choice......but it's nothing like what a "champ" sounds like.

Anyway.....I would steer you towards the 8F125 as that's the one I prefer. They are VERY similar sounding speakers, the ceramic's just a little "more". Ted's descriptions on his website are spot on, IMO.

I wouldn't opt for the "T" either. Weber speakers are a little dark sounding until they're broken in, at which point they open up really nicely. Once broken in, the "T" might be a little spikey or icepicky, champs don't usually need brightening up--and if they do, put a brighter 12ax7 in there. Of course, it takes around 30 hours of playing to break one in--you can order them "pre-broken in" from Ted.

cheers,
wade

PS--you wanna be a dork? get a 2x8 cabinet and outfit with an 8A125 and 8F125. :D

Whoa, is this a great site or what? Thanks for all the specific comments and advice. This helps tremendously!

Mrface2112 comments are spot on. I can especially vouch for everything he says about the Blue Pups.

I might add that even though the Blue Pup cleans are not dazzling, the cleans on a tiny tiger like a Champ aren't super dazzling either, which is why I think the combination would be pleasing. A bigger Fender amp with more clean headroom would probably be better off with something more robust than the Blue Pup/Dog, but with a Champ it might be a nice fit.

Thanks to Mrface2112 for such a fine and comprehensive overview of the Weber drivers. Nice post!

cheers,
wade

Wade,

Since you are a font of information on Weber speakers, I thought I'd also inquire whether you have any opinions on a replacement speaker for a Super Champ. I have one with a stock Fender (not EV) speaker and I'm assuming that I could do a lot better than that. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks!

Back