Champ Replacement Speaker

No real experience with the 10 or 12 inch Weber speakers, unfortunately, and no experience with the Super Champ. I've got an Eminence Copperhead in my Princeton and a Copperhead/RedFang combo in the 10/12 cabinet i built. Love both of those speakers. I went with Eminence for those b/c I got good prices on em and they were something different. I'm happy to wax poetic on the virtues of those two, however. :p

It's my experience that Ted's descriptions on his website are pretty accurate. He's also extremely helpful--so drop him an email asking for a recommendation and you should have a reply pretty quickly. Hard to find a businessman better than Ted Weber!

cheers,
wade

No real experience with the 10 or 12 inch Weber speakers, unfortunately, and no experience with the Super Champ. I've got an Eminence Copperhead in my Princeton and a Copperhead/RedFang combo in the 10/12 cabinet i built. Love both of those speakers. I went with Eminence for those b/c I got good prices on em and they were something different. I'm happy to wax poetic on the virtues of those two, however. :p

It's my experience that Ted's descriptions on his website are pretty accurate. He's also extremely helpful--so drop him an email asking for a recommendation and you should have a reply pretty quickly. Hard to find a businessman better than Ted Weber!

cheers,
wade

Thanks! I'll see what Ted recommends and post here. It's great that he's so responsive about his products.

Not at all!

Sorry, I got two teenage girls and that's more than enough drama for one lifetime.:D

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, Ted recommended an 8A125 4 ohm 20 watt speaker, and it sounds great!

He also recommended a 10F150T 25 watt lightly doped (you can start the jokes now) for my Super Champ, which is a significant improvement as well.

Don't care for eights for guitar, 10" minmum.

But the battlecry is best out of a foot! I would have used an extension cab, easier to mix and match then fit a Celestion Alnico Gold. She WOULD be heard!

Dave.

Hey, we are talking bedroom amps here. I don't know that I'm interested in having anything with a 12 inch speaker on the other side of MY bedroom wall. :D She can borrow my SC-30 if she needs volume. And play it elsewhere in the house.

I put a lightly doped 12F150 in my Blues Jr. -- I suppose I'm still breaking it in, but I love it.

My teenage daughter has an old Gibson Skylark -- I put a 10 inch weber in it -- I think just the inexpensive alnico signature one, and it sounds great. Not sure how that amp compares to the champ, but I bet it's close in terms of watts of output.

I use an 8 inch alnico signature in a Vox AD15VT (modeling amp), and it sound very good. I put two 12 inch alnico signatures in a 2x12 vertical slant cab, and my son and I were using it with a Valve Jr. - sounds pretty good.

Needless to say, I'm a fan :)

The Super Champ is 18 watts. The 64 Champ I have has the 5F1 tweed circuit and is about 5 watts, as is the silverface Champ I got for my daughter.

Ok, sorry!

How about, http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=44702

? Or similar. Reason? We have used a smaller version on a 15W Watkins Dom' to let the valves grunt a bit but not induce brain damage as the Celestion V30 does. Note this speaker is some 12dB less sensitive than the average git speaker and IMHO the better bass response is useful since you have a smaller system overall.

No doubt Rad Shak or ZZ's do something like that?

Dave.

I've just ordered an 8A125T from Weber for my late SF Vibro Champ-- I'll check it out when it arrives and let you know what I think

Back