Central Station questions

Nik D

Another brick in the wall
Hey, I just got a central station, and it rocks! I've got it runing spdif from my layla 20, and the converters blow the layla ones away. Anyway, when there's nothing playing I can hear this digital telemetry like noise. Do any of you get that? It dosen't matter if my ins are unplugged or if I turn the volume all the way down. It's pretty quiet, so I'll probably end up just tuning it out, unless I can fix it. Also, this is really minor, but is there a way to turn off peak hold?

The noise is certainly some type of interference OR noise from your computer - Check your internal settings and see if you can't mute things one by one until you can track it down.

On the peak hold - It should only hold steady in case of a clip. As far as I know, there's no way to turn it off.

As for isolating the noise, try moving the CS around a bit...There is probably some other piece of gear that is emitting some strange RF or something...

I too was annoyed by the peak meter deal, and since I don't rely on the CS for true metering duties (it's just reference for me), I recalibrated it so "0" is actually "-1". If you want to do the same thing, grab the WAV or AIFF file from the PreSonus Web Site, throw the file into an audio editor, raise the volume of the tone by 1 dB or so, save it as a new file, and follow the calibration procedures for the CS (BTW, you have to leave it in "Calibration" mode for this new calibration to be active - take it out of "Calibration" mode to return to "True Metering").

Hope this helps!

Jay

Jay's suggestion is good regarding calibrating your CS so the final red peak lights won't light. It would be nice if the 0dB peak light did turn off after a while. Putting that on a 5-10 second delay or so would have been good. Long enough to see that you went over, but not requiring the user to hit the "Clear Peak" push button a lot.

As far as noise, you might want to try moving the unit around a bit as has been suggested. The part about the noise being fed to your monitors even when the volume is down concerns me a bit. So also check the path of your cables going from the CS to your monitors. They may be routed alongside a wall wart or some other source of interference. Also be sure the cables are of the right type on both ends.

Yep, I just checked all of those things, and no dice. It dosen't sound like an interference thing, it sounds like the digital converter. I can power off all my rack gear, LCD monitor, even computer and I still get the noise. I'll record a short clip of what I can hear, and maybe that will help. I think I'm going to have to call customer service, thankfully it's still under warranty and all that. BTW I'm using a monster cable for the spdif connection, and mogami gold cables going to the monitors, so it's not crappy cables either.

Here's a clip of the noise. I just noticed that it's only coming out of the right channel. The speaker outs are right next to where the spdif comes in, so they're right by the converter too. Here's a clip of the noise
. I wonder if something's not shielded inside....

Back