CD Volume

tpresz

Ok, so I think I'm done with mixing a CD. I start a master in Wavelab and the overall volume is low. I tried increasing the gain from within the mastering program, but I can't do much without clipping.

I'm wondering if my cd burner is the culprit (although hard to imagine). Anyone run into this type of problem?

Thanks...

Are you......?

Before you start ripping your computer apart, I'll ask the obvious here fellas ;), are you using some sort of a software compressor/limiter in your mastering chain? (i.e. Waves L1/L3) Are you using a mastering chain?? I know that in Wavelab, the little floating toolbar on the right will allow you to insert effects and then process your wav/mp3 thru them to get your final product. If you are, then I'm sorry I asked that question, but if you aren't, you need to add one to the last space in your "virtual rack" prior to an export. There is one built in to Wavelab that you can use............

No need for an apology J. I Appreciate your response. Yeah, there's a master applet in wavelab that I am using. I am using the 'Peak Master' (I believe it's called) a compressor of sorts, in an effort to increase the overall signal without clipping at the peaks. The volume increases noticeably when I listen in the application. But when I burn a cd, it does not seem to increase. The Help screens tell me that the mastering app with the effects are the last in the signal chain before the cd is rendered and burned. That's what's kind of making me wonder about hardware. Or, maybe a Windows issue?
Dunno. I'm lost.

If you're just raising the overall volume (normalizing) then that's as loud as it will get naturally, without clipping.

You need to control the dynamic range/peaks with a compressor or volume automation. This will make the overall level more even and then you can make it louder.

A song will only be as 'loud' as the loudest peak.

Edit: Sorry, didnt see your 2nd post.

Ahhh.... Are you rendering the project? On the little window "virtual rack" there is a button on the bottom left called render... you have to render the file, then save the rendered file as "song title", then burn that file...

Also see: options--> preferences --> audio card. set the playback to 16bit. by doing this, you'll get a better idea of how it will sound on disc.

Back