Cat5 patchbay for audio?

Adam P

I may have at my disposal several Cat5 patchbays. I was wondering if it would be possible to adapt them for audio use, using standard audio cable with Cat5 ends on the cables to make short patch cables. I know the Furman headphone amps use Cat5 cable to carry what I would presume are line level signals. So far, the only big problem I see would be normalling stuff like insert points, but other than that, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Can anyone here tell me why it might not, or if it would? More trouble than its worth? Am I just wasting my time on a hare-brained scheme?

No, Cat5 cables are ethernet cables, they have that kind of end.

My opinion is that it would be more trouble than it is worth. You'd end up spending a lot of time making cables that would have no earthly use anywhere else. I'm also not sure if there are any electronics in the path on a Cat5 patchbay. That's something you'd also have to check.

mshilarious said:
Uh . . . you can get Neutrik TRS patchbays for $50 used, $80 new.

I know. I could most likely get these for free. They're sitting in my basement right now. No harm in asking if something I could come into for free might be useful. Except around here, apparently.

SonicAlbert said:
No, Cat5 cables are ethernet cables, they have that kind of end.

My opinion is that it would be more trouble than it is worth. You'd end up spending a lot of time making cables that would have no earthly use anywhere else. I'm also not sure if there are any electronics in the path on a Cat5 patchbay. That's something you'd also have to check.

Thanks for the considerate reply.

MOFO Pro said:
Just forget you ever had that thought... really... :rolleyes:

Will do, chief.

...:rolleyes:...

Back