Can't hear sound from headphones plugged into interface

gene12586

Hi all,

I just set up my first audio interface (Motu896mk3 hybrid). I plugged the interface into the computer, and then I plugged a condenser mic into the first input and turned on phantom power for that channel. I also plugged headphones into the main out jack of the interface. In the Motu computer software, I have the main out jack assigned to main outs 1-2. I attached a screenshot below of all of the setting as I have them in the Motu software. Then I opened GarageBand, went to preferences, and then clicked on audio/midi, and set the input device to be the Motu interface. I created a new audio track in GarageBand, making sure to set the track to the Motu input 1. Then I picked up my acoustic guitar and started playing in front of the microphone with the headphones over my ears... what I want to happen is to direct monitor the guitar through the headphones (i.e., before the signal leaves the interface) and also have what I'm playing recorded in GarageBand. When I play, I can see the interface picking up the sound as I see the dBs indicator on the interface flashing and moving up, and I see that GarageBand is picking up the sound and recording it.... but I can't hear anything through the headphones. I tried adjusting the trim knob for the input channel up to increase the signal, but I still don't hear anything in the headphones. I tried turning up the master volume knob, which is supposed to increase volume for sound coming from the main out jack to which my headphones are plugged, but that didn't work either. The only other thing I could think of was to change the output device in GarageBand settings to the interface instead of the default of "system setting"... but that didn't work, and even if it did, then I'd be hearing audio that's coming back from the DAW instead of the signal before it leaves the interface as I'm trying to accomplish. Any ideas what to do?

Thanks,

Gene
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 2.31.54 PM.png

I believe you'll need to use the MOTU CueMix software control panel to set up direct monitoring. (Perhaps this only applies to Windows machines. If so, you might need to control input monitoring via your DAW.)

Also, yes, change the output device in Garage Band to the MOTU.

I believe you'll need to use the MOTU CueMix software control panel to set up direct monitoring. (Perhaps this only applies to Windows machines. If so, you might need to control input monitoring via your DAW.)

Also, yes, change the output device in Garage Band to the MOTU.
Thanks boulder. I skimmed through the CueMix section in the instructions last night, but didn't realize I need to turn direct monitoring on through there. Going to read through that section again now in more detail.

About you saying to change the output device in GarageBand to the MOTU... If I don't want any of what's going in to GarageBand to be sent back to the interface, then wouldn't I not want to change the output device to the MOTU?

Thanks boulder. I skimmed through the CueMix section in the instructions last night, but didn't realize I need to turn direct monitoring on through there. Going to read through that section again now in more detail.

About you saying to change the output device in GarageBand to the MOTU... If I don't want any of what's going in to GarageBand to be sent back to the interface, then wouldn't I not want to change the output device to the MOTU?
I think you would just disable input monitoring in GB so it's not routing inputs back to the interface. But you do want to be able to hear playback of previously recorded tracks through the MOTU, so it needs to be the input and output device in GB.

You will still need to set MOTU as the output device. Eventually you will want to record more stuff while listneing to hwat has already been recorded.

What you need to find is the mix control and just the relative levels of direct and monitoring levels, i.e. input versus playback

You will still need to set MOTU as the output device. Eventually you will want to record more stuff while listneing to hwat has already been recorded.

What you need to find is the mix control and just the relative levels of direct and monitoring levels, i.e. input versus playback
Thanks Gecko... Yeah I definitely plan to do some overdubbing, so makes sense to set MOTU as the output device when I do that. Just wasn't sure why to have it on when I'm just recording the guitar for the first time..

Currently fiddling around with the CueMix software...

. Just wasn't sure why to have it on when I'm just recording the guitar for the first time.
Sure. You don't have to do it if you're recording guitar for the first time.

However, it is good practice to do so. You should think of the interface as replacing the internal sound of your computer, so all your listening is best done from it, via speakers or headphones.

And there will come a time when you want to record your guitar to a click track of some sort, and that's when you will need to have that mix of input and output available.erfrace

Sure. You don't have to do it if you're recording guitar for the first time.

However, it is good practice to do so. You should think of the interface as replacing the internal sound of your computer, so all your listening is best done from it, via speakers or headphones.

And there will come a time when you want to record your guitar to a click track of some sort, and that's when you will need to have that mix of input and output available.erfrace
Thanks Gecko, all makes sense.

Back