Can a fat person be a lead singer?

misterx

Hi,
I'm overweight, but have an excellent rock voice. Yah, I'm working out and losing the weight, but since I've released some demos locally I'm generating a buzz around town. I've been invited to play at some local clubs. Problem is, my stage presence is not too hot. I'm kinda shy due to my weight problem. I'm too old to wait much longer to start my live career. First impressions I would assume would be pretty important. Should I lose the weight first, (looks like it will take about 6 months) or forget about, go out and play live and let the music do the talking? First thing comes to mind is "Meatloaf". I'm not as fat as he used to be, but I'm a big guy. :)

As you said Meatloaf is a good example as is John Popper (Blues Traveler).

I'm sure there are some rock/metal bands that think a heavy singer would "hurt the image" of the band - but most musicians (real musicians) want to work with the best people they can.

I'm sure there are shallow people in the audiance who concern themself with who "looks good" on stage - but I'm sure the majority of people want to hear good music.

Obviously, in the studio, size doesn't matter at all - so maybe you can try to get demo work - to keep building a body of work and meeting musicians.

If you are concerned about your size, you could consider learning enough guitar to be a "rhythem guitarist" - then you could have a guitar to "hide" your mid section.

If you are good, you will find a gig - there is always a need for talented singers. If you want to exercise and lose weight for your physical and mental well being - good for you, but don't do it just to get in a band.

Hi Mikeh,

Well here's the kicker, I don't want to join a band, I want the band to join me and play my originals and some cover tunes. As I mentioned earlier, locally the buzz is already being generated. Learning guitar is out of the question, unfortunately. I can play keys, perhaps I could hide behind that, well, at least on tunes that need them. I'm kind of leaning towards waiting a while and losing some weight before playing live. :) I'm too old to worry about the looks for attracting the women, I just don't want to look "foolish" on stage. It's been a lloonngg time since I performed live. What about stage antics? Should I (being a big guy) just basically sing and not really "get into" it? I've seen the lead singer for "Stained" that basically stands there and does nothing. I CAN do that! :)

I guess what I'm getting at is this, I plan on releasing a cd soon, at least at the local level first. I've already had my music played at a few clubs where no one knows it's me, they just play a song from a "local artist" mention my name, etc. The response has been well. So, the next step is to play live. Again, I was concerned with the visual first impression. But hopefully, the music would speak for itself. Thanks for your thoughts.

The whole key to stage presense is confidence. If you're out there, doing what you do well with confidence, you'll be just fine - guaranteed.

How many rock musicians are great looking people? You might be a big guy (and not the first one to be onstage), but you're better off than many (try sporting Mick Jaggar's mug for a while).

If you're out there having a good time, and you're good, you don't have anything to worry about. If you're going to be shy and meek, you can expect some criticism.

Life's too short to be shy ...get out there and get some stage action while the gettin's good. (Okay, now somebody needs to slap me because I sound like a college football coach).

Good luck either way, mang.

Sean

I agree with Sean.
As a crowd member I have always been on the side of the performer. Everyone wants you to do well, and see a man comfortable with is weight rocking away. I personally think John Popper is way cool. Although doing many live performances myself I know how self-concious I can be, But it is true that if you throw caution to the wind and go out there and be yourself and sing with passion, everyone around you is going to have a good time!

Matt

wow, excellent feedback. I feel as if I've taken a trip to a shrink! LOL! Seriously though, this has been eye opening. You know, looking back, I have seen fat BAD singers and fat GOOD singers. I've never thought bad about a singer if they sounded good. Now I just have to consider what to "do" on stage during the song. Making eye contact with the crowd, or sing to the horizon. Dancing is out of the question, but perhaps a tambourine or cow bell wouldn't hurt. :) I've got a new found confidence boost, now where's that Big Mac at... LOL! :)

Meatloaf and Ann Wilson of Heart... If your talented who cares. Voices are more important than appearance. Id rather listen to a chunky munky belting out some awesome vocalization than some skinny that makes the Antares overheat! IMO

Peace,
Dennis

Misterx,

Think about what you do when you are really grooving to a good song all by yourself in the car or at home, you know when you are completely alone and you start moving around or going kind of crazy, That is what you should do because that is what is natural to you. People really want to see you as you are, and most of all comfortable. When you become uncomfortable, the crowd can pick it up like a junkyard dog smells fear, and all of a sudden they become uncomfortable. So I would say my best advice is to relax, Be yourself, and have fun. Much easier said than done though! :D

Man, I should start taking my own advice... this is some good stuff... Hah! ;)

Matt

a few cents worth from the peanut gallery

I agree with what everyone's said here. I can relate as I am both a former vocalist and a former "big guy" (hoping to keep the "former" as I approach 30 :) ).

I wouldn't worry about the weight. Meatloaf and John Popper are good examples of popular large vocalists.... and there are many femals, like Aretha. In hard rock/metal there are the guys from Crowbar (VERY large!). If you're smaller than Meatloaf was then you don't have anything to worry about. (As long as you're not doing image-based hair/glam rock! ;) )

Try to forget the audience while performing. That's what worked for me. If you're lucky, the stage lights will be in your face and you won't even be able to see the crowd without crouching or leaning forward. Sing as you would while practicing, in the sense of your mannerisms, motions, etc. That'll be you at your most natural. If you tried to adopt/adapt someone else's stage act, I don't think that would work so well.

I DO know that hiding behind mic stands doesn't work. ;) My first few times playing to an audience doing vocals only (how I prefer to have a bass to hide behind!!) I spent the first track behind the mic stand, which only made me concentrate on nerves and hence get more nervous. So I said "fuck it" and did whatever, let the song throw me around, as it were. I'd be still during slow/quiet parts, but big loud sustained notes usually saw me crumple towards the floor (but that's my utter lack of technique for ya), then maybe jumping up and arching back for a capstone scream. I figured I looked like a bonehead, but people liked it. People kept commenting on my "presence." I didn't beleive them.... but then I saw it on video and I dare say it looked like a stage act. :) One well-suited to the band, too, a little bit of craziness and mania, a little bit of darkness. I'm sure you'll be able to find your "inner rock star" and knock 'em dead!

Good luck!!

DON'T STOP CUZ YOUR HEAVY!!!!!!!!

If your career is starting to move than go with it....Lose the weight as you go but don't stop when u have a buzz cuz u think your fat....that would make you stupid.....besides if you lost the wait while building the band the fans would probably respect that and say look how good he's doin....Fans love it when their fav artists succeed in anything....

Im fat also....

I like it... I sort of use it as a trademark....

In a world where every goddam new band looks like sum 41 or blink 182, you'll be "that big fat rocker dude"....

See where im comin' from?..

.....fortunately, nowadays i dont think the "image" thing is the issue that it was in the 80's. Seems like the general public has settled down a bit with regards to that. The real question is "can you deliver". ......Im a 6'7" bass player, and if youre lookin for a band, I'll lay down some collaborated tracks for ya (net-collaborating, that is....).... picture it ....me and you next to each other...... lol...... could be the next big thing.:D :D :D :D
keep it heavy, mike

Wow..wow..wow! Thank you so much for the comments. This is some good stuff, really.

Here's a related issue, what about wearing shades during the gig? I look cool in black shades, PLUS it allows me to have confidence because I'm not making real eye contact with anyone. Or at least, my humble brain thinks so. Could I get away with this at a club gig? If the answer is yes, PROBLEM SOLVED! :)

In blues and classic R&B, the question might almost have been: "is it possible to be a thin lead singer?"

Look at Jimmy Rushing (Mr. 5x5). Big Mama Thornton, Etta James, Ruth Brown, Barry White, Aretha, Pattie LaBelle, Martha Wash, etc.

Use your size to take advantage of your difference. Come up with a name for your band that celebrates it: Tons of Fun, Heavy Hitter, Ballast, Five Yards Wide, The Sinkers, Refrigerator, All You Can Eat, Waistline, Wide Load, etc. (Just thinking off the top of my head - you get the idea.)

Here in Boston we used to have two huge male singers: one went buy the name "Jellybelly" and the other was called "Lotsa Poppa".

Fat? SkinnY? Gorda? Flaco?

Can you sing? That's all that counts.

Remember Mamma Cass and the 5th dimension?

She was a Whale at times; however, her voice was cool.

Fat? Phat? FFat? Lips with cologen? Makes no difference if you have the pipes.

Green Hornet:D :D :p :p :p :p :p :p :cool:

Back