CALLING ALL R2R EXPERTS, AKAI 630dss NEEDS HELP!

westgate

ɹǝʎɐld ɹǝpuǝ&#6
hello there!
this 4 trk/4channel direct drive capstan r2r has a flutter issue. i bought it new in '78, used it til '90. then it was stashed in a barn for 18 years. i had forgotten about it all those years (used to drink a lot then).

i re-found it last june and i brought it home, cleaned and degaussed heads, etc, loaded tape and while it still sounds really great, it has unacceptable flutter from the capstan motor. while in storage, something could have fallen on it, dont know.

flutter is about 5 cycles/sec @ 3.75 ips and ~10 cycles/sec @ 7.5 ips. the capstan motor emits a vibrato like sound that seems to correspond to flutter cycles. almost like part of motor is rubbing against something.

i started to open up machine but soon realized it's beyond my experience level. closed it back up, and soon it's off to repair shop. (probably a good bit of $$:(, if it can be fixed at all)

anyone experienced something like this and have ideas as to cause? and/or fix?

thanks!

Last edited:
played a tape on the 630dss last nite. it sounded really good 'cept for the flutter issue.
makes me sad that a great machine like this can 'fall' so far.

hello there!
this 4 trk/4channel direct drive capstan r2r has a flutter issue. i bought it new in '78, used it til '90. then it was stashed in a barn for 18 years. i had forgotten about it all those years (used to drink a lot then).

i re-found it last june and i brought it home, cleaned and degaussed heads, etc, loaded tape and while it still sounds really great, it has unacceptable flutter from the capstan motor. while in storage, something could have fallen on it, dont know.

flutter is about 5 cycles/sec @ 3.75 ips and ~10 cycles/sec @ 7.5 ips. the capstan motor emits a vibrato like sound that seems to correspond to flutter cycles. almost like part of motor is rubbing against something.

i started to open up machine but soon realized it's beyond my experience level. closed it back up, and soon it's off to repair shop. (probably a good bit of $$:(, if it can be fixed at all)

anyone experienced something like this and have ideas as to cause? and/or fix?

thanks!
Mostly what's wrong is that it's been unused for 18 years. Lubricants have dried out or turned to glue and rubber parts have deteriorated. You could do serious damage to the capstan motor bearing if you continue to use it before having it properly serviced.

I'll just come out of left field from "no" experience,...

18 years of neglect is the problem, (obvious point), but it may have developed a flat spot on the bearings. Just a SWAG.:eek:;)

thank you rruskin, thereeler, and a reel person.
i guess i wont be using machine anymore. as soon as i can find proper boxes, etc, it's off to approved audio services in litchfield, ct.

unless-anybody know of another really good place that can work on an akai?

'approved' didnt sound too confident on a fix when i emailed a description of problem to them. 'cuz the akai corp. that we used to know is out of business.
i guess that means parts are hard to find.

I don't think it's a problem of lubricate the capstan motor, but a problem of the capstan's caps.

could you expand on that a little, please? i know nada about caps; are they capacitors?
thanks.

thanks for response!
i was recently reading about the cams in akai recorders and how, because of the cheap metal used, they break down over time. i wonder if that is the issue with my 630d-ss (rhetorical-or not).

i may wait and send machine in for repairs right after holiday season is over. i've also left messages at local recording studios asking them if there is a qualified tech service in the region (ie ~40-60 mile radius).

Westgate, your Akai doesn't have cam-problem, all direct drive motors and probably bad bearings in the capstan motor.
Older single motor operated Akai from M-series and up to 4000 DS MK II has poor cam's in the transport levers.
If I was a machinist and spare time to make new ones.;)
You got a PM by the way.

Kudos To Rolf @ Vintage Texas!

monday, 11/10/08 i took delivery of an akai gx-230d r2r, from ebay, to use when 630 goes in for repairs-hopefully next month. 230 arrived dirty which i half expected and/but WITH NO PINCH ROLLER! WTF!
anyway, i cleaned up/degaussed heads, exterior, etc, ran a 'work' tape over heads just to see if there was sound. there was.

anyway, rolf @ vintage texas suggested using the p-roller from 630 as a temp fix for 230. p-rollers happen to be same size-IS THAT GOOD LUCK OR WHAT-WHAT WERE THE ODDS of that happening!.
i had thought about trying that but i thought, nah! that's too easy-never work.
silly me!
it fit like a glove but alas, washer, nut, bolt, cover from 630 did not. so i fashioned a few pieces from plastic, found a approx size screw to hold p-roller/home made washers on 230, fired it up and

VOILA!!

it's working and working very well! sounds GREAT!
i'm now on 2nd tape play, no issues at all:D.
next week i hope to purchase proper 230 p-roller/hardware from rolf.

THANKS AGAIN, ROLF!

2nd Gx-630dss Aquired!

approx 2 weeks ago i bought another of the above 10.5" reel, 4trk/4ch recorders off the 'bay. it was packed very well; ups delivered it without mishap.
i cleaned/degaussed heads, etc; fired it up, loaded a tape and it played and sounded great! under $250 shipped!!

this can keep my gx-230d company whilst the original 630 goes in for repairs in jan.:D

If I was repairing it I would try and isolate whether it's a mechanical or electronic problem. With the machine off I'd spin the capstan shaft with my fingers and try and feel for any binding/unevenness as it turns.

Cheers Tim

I usually cringe when talk of eBay & shipping gets said in the same sentence but in this case I'm glad your AKAI made it in one piece and that you're enjoying it.:)

If I was repairing it I would try and isolate whether it's a mechanical or electronic problem. With the machine off I'd spin the capstan shaft with my fingers and try and feel for any binding/unevenness as it turns.

Cheers Tim
i did try that but going in thru a small opening in the back and turning motor by hand, i couldnt really feel anything. it turned smoothly.
i couldnt spin it fast enough by hand to hear what i hear when it's powered up-a metallic 'rubbing' sound. i'm thinking bearings in capstan motor.

i still havent figured out how to remove wooden cabinet from machine. i'm a total newb re the innards of these things.

there is a new tech guy in springfield, vt-40 miles north of me; a former mark levinson, etc technician. he has my nak mr-1 for new tire and belts; after that he gets the 630dss. $45/hour "bench time". that labor charge will go up once folks get on to him.
i havent met him yet-going thru our local audio shop but i'll have to do the r2r deal with tech seperately as the 630 r2r is too heavy to carry into audio shop. i'll meet the tech and transfer 630 from my car to his.
i'd rather do it this way than ship somewhere.

I usually cringe when talk of eBay & shipping gets said in the same sentence but in this case I'm glad your AKAI made it in one piece and that you're enjoying it.:)

after i won it, i emailed seller and asked if he would put xtra bubble wrap, etc around spindles and the rest of the front side. he said he overpacks these things anyway.

he wasn't bs'ing!

Back