Cali must be overrun with fools - no one but a fool would vote for Newsom

A company should have no first amendment right.

It’s a fucking corporation not a human.

People can gather to pool resources and wield political and financial influence. Unions do it. Lobby groups do it for industry. Political action groups do it. The supreme court has held that such groups, comprising people, are "persons" for legal purposes.

None of this matters. Any company is free to make whatever decisions they want to make and either profit or take losses based on those decisions. As long as they operate within the law, you just get to decide whether or not to use their services.

The only issue is that Desantis singled them out and used legislation to punish a company for operating within their right to free speech. He weaponized the government against a private corporation. If that doesn’t bother you, I don’t know what to say.

Edit to add - thanks for staying civil even though we disagree. I hope we can have normal conversations moving forward rather than fights.
What privelege the Florida legislature grants, it can rescind. Whether it is politically wise is another question. I suppose we will see.

Desantis granted Universal a special district last month.

And per the rest of my comment you partially quoted betcha they won't be attempting to interfere with legislation unrelated to their role as an entertainment and hospitality property.

Interestingly it turns out Disney actually donated to sponsors of the Parental Rights In Education bill in question.

It's no secret that there's a contingent of Disney park employees who are gay and I gather some of them got their knickers in a bunch because Disney didn't publicly denounce the bill. The alphabets tend to have tunnel vision regarding their agenda. What Disney should have done is make it clear that they'll continue to not discriminate based on sexual orientation but that it would be outside the proper scope of Disney as a company to become involved in that kind of legislative issue. But Disney didn't choose the correct, intelligent path - they chose to virtue signal instead and lost customers and revenue and gained a bunch of headaches.

Disney knows how to put on a show. For a long time they've had an end of day fireworks, music and sfx show at Epcot - they had a particularly special one for a number of years called Illuminations: Reflections of Earth that was first created for their Millennium celebration back in 2000. There are videos of it on YouTube but they don't truly capture the experience and scope of being there to see it. With these shows the entire park becomes the stage.

There was a companion parade based on the same theme called Tapestry of Nations - the music was by the same composer who did the music for IllumiNations Gavin Greenaway. The ToN parade was the only parade Epcot has had and was unique in that it wasn't a rolling commercial for Disneyana, just a big piece of performance art that was superbly put together with a fantastic soundtrack. There was a daytime and nighttime version - the night version was the really special one because of the extra effects that were possible.

The Magic Kingdom also has great fireworks shows - particularly amazing are the special edition shows they do on certain holidays like the 4th of July, New Year's, maybe Christmas where the fireworks surround the entire park - a real sight to behold.

Their Candlelight Processional during the Christmas season is excellent. Even as an atheist I enjoyed it just as a musical/visual presentation. First-rate orchestra and combined professional, cast member and high school guest choirs.

They've got great food - among other restaurants they've got a couple of buffets at Epcot I really like - one is the Biergarten in the Germany pavilion. What's supposed to be authentic German selections - super tasty, always kept fresh along with a great Oktoberfest-themed floor show. For what you get I consider the price reasonable.

I really liked the smoked turkey legs at Epcot - in fact it was the first time I encountered them - theirs are huge too.

Their Voices of Liberty is a superb acapella group that performs an Americana repertoire and holiday songs during the Christmas season.

The group Voctave that has videos on YouTube is compromised of members of The VoL.

And per the rest of my comment you partially quoted betcha they won't be attempting to interfere with legislation unrelated to their role as an entertainment and hospitality property.
My point was that this is more clear evidence that Desantis’ actions were retaliation.

My point was that this is more clear evidence that Desantis’ actions were retaliation.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress isn't doing any abridging here. Disney is still completely free to say what it wants - I don't see where it says in the Constitution that a state government has to keep giving special privileges to a mammoth corporation that demonstrates a willingness to interfere with a state's legislative process unrelated to its business.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress isn't doing any abridging here. Disney is still completely free to say what it wants - I don't see where it says in the Constitution that a state government has to keep giving special privileges to a mammoth corporation that demonstrates a willingness to interfere with a state's legislative process unrelated to its business.
FL is within its right to do so, IF they apply the law fairly. They didn’t.

What's another mammoth corporation that gets special privileges at the pleasure of the FL gov't that's behaved as Disney has?
You’re still saying that exercising their right to free speech means that the government can be weaponized against them. Yes, FL can rescind the special district, but not when they write the law so that it only affects one company as revenge. Desantis’ own words essentially admit it was retaliation are in the lawsuit.

I’m surprised you’re ok with this.

• While discussing the legislation that rid Disney of its self-governing status during a September 15, 2022 speech, DeSantis clearly connected the bill to Disney's protected speech: "'We took action'" after Disney made 'the mistake' of opposing the [Parental Rights in Education] legislation."

Last edited:
You’re still saying that exercising their right to free speech means that the government can be weaponized against them. Yes, FL can rescind the special district, but not when they write the law so that it only affects one company as revenge. Desantis’ own words essentially admit it was retaliation are in the lawsuit.

• While discussing the legislation that rid Disney of its self-governing status during a September 15, 2022 speech, DeSantis clearly connected the bill to Disney's protected speech: "'We took action'" after Disney made 'the mistake' of opposing the [Parental Rights in Education] legislation."
"Weaponized" or exercising powers he's entitled to exercise?

If Disney is getting a tax break that means other taxpayers are taking up the slack.

Once again I'm okay with it because of the nature of what Disney chose to involve themselves in. If it was something that legitimately had something to do with their operations that would be different. I'm not convinced it's even a sincere gesture by Disney but corporate virtue-signaling. Some of the other crap I've heard of that goes on at Disney definitely brings into question how "concerned" they are with their employees.

Some alphabet employees make a stink about something that happens to be trendy in corporate circles and Disney makes big noise about it. The alphabets are mad over the notion that not everyone embraces their noisemaking and propaganda. That's reality - deal with it. How many rainbow flag employees are students in public grade school? It's impossible that Disney's actions represent a consensus among employees - there's also a lot of Christian conservatives working at Disney but for some reason the alphabet people are the ones entitled to whine?

Again I'm not a legal scholar so will have to see how it plays out.

Are you more frightened of Trump, or Desantis?

Problems with Disney are of Disney's own making. All this woke nonsense, ffs, shut up and entertain. It's appearing more and more that Desantis is among the least of the problem(s).

Disney stock...get woke, go broke, no fascism required...

Yet another group, Ancora Holdings Group, LLC, is joining the proxy fray. The group, which invests in the Walt Disney Company, has sent a letter to shareholders urging them to put another investor on the Disney Board, specifically Nelson Peltz or someone from Trian.
The letter indicates that due to the "extended period of absentminded governance, ineffective succession planning, polarizing actions and sustained value destruction" the Company has underperformed and caused Disney shareholders "meaningful losses" as the Company underperformed.

Ancora also mentioned that the company has gotten into politically driven situations that have created "division" instead of "delight" among its customer base.

Back