Build Drums ?? help

bubinski

I want to get some parts and build (assemble) a kick,snare, 1-14"tom and a floor tom. I just want to make a kit like that with a hi hat and 1 crash/ride cymbal. Anybody know any places that sell all kinds of parts ( shells, rims ect) ?
I want to get a Kick that is tight, low and loud. What ratio kick ? I mean width X depth. Front head ? need muting ? hole in front ?
I want a snare that is way low And tight and like sombody shot of a .410 shotgun everytime you hit it. No pussy twap with jingle.....serious WHACK......what ratio there / Deep ? Wood ? Rims?
Someone help me ......ARGGGGGG

go to order some keller maple shell, kick should be 22-24 dia and at lease 18" deep. a power stroke 3 batter head and a piece of patch stick on the strike area should be good. and there should be a small hole off centre on the resonant head, dont muffle the drum too much!!

for the snare sound you looking for, try to get a deep brass snare, 6.5x14 or more, and get a remo controlled sound batter head with a black dot on the bottom.

bubinski said:
I want to get some parts and build (assemble) a kick,snare, 1-14"tom and a floor tom. I just want to make a kit like that with a hi hat and 1 crash/ride cymbal. Anybody know any places that sell all kinds of parts ( shells, rims ect) ?
I want to get a Kick that is tight, low and loud. What ratio kick ? I mean width X depth. Front head ? need muting ? hole in front ?
I want a snare that is way low And tight and like sombody shot of a .410 shotgun everytime you hit it. No pussy twap with jingle.....serious WHACK......what ratio there / Deep ? Wood ? Rims?
Someone help me ......ARGGGGGG

tourettes5139 said:

I built a drumset several years ago, mostly from parts available from there..

You CAN build a good set, and get what you want, which is a better option for those wanting non-standard sizes or setups.

For my kit, I wanted a 20" diameter kick, but 18" deep. Sounds like you might want to go with a 22" but a 20" is pretty tight and focused sounding, just not as low. A 24" starts too sound a little loose though, imo.
I wanted 12" and 14" rack toms, so i ordered shells for those too.
I had them drill the holes for the lugs, ordered DW style roundish lugs, wood BD hoops, the metal rims, drum bolts, RIMS type mounting system, and sourced blue sparkle drum wrap from a direct supplier. It turned out well, though I can't remember how much it cost me, but I know it was less than going out a buying anything better than a Pearl Export at the time. I couldnt afford Starclassics or DWs like I wanted so I built my own. I wish I still had those drums.

Just remember, get the max amount of lugs on the BD and snare, I think 10 is good. It will tune so much nicer. Good luck and more power to ya.

Back