budget channel strips...

dr.colossus

hey guys, i'm looking at getting a new channel strip, something with a pre and a compressor (eq would be excellent)... i can't justify spending a hell of a lot of money, and i could go for something neutral or coloured, as long as it doesn't sound like crap. mostly be recording garage/stoner rock ... some comments on these units would be cool and any other suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

joemeek 3q
vtb1+rnc

(price jump here, more than i really want to spend)-

focusrite trackmaster
m-audio tampa (dont need the converters unless they're stereo)
tla fat2 (i have one already, two could be cool for stereo stuff)

thank you folks

The RNC is a good compressor to use with the VTB-1. IMO, all the preamps in the under $300 range are pretty much the same, give or take a little here and there... IMO, the M-Audio DMP-3 is one of the better 2-ch budget preamps in than price range.

Rane makes the single channel VP-12 (I do not have one) that includes dual EQ, de-esser, and compressor.

the tampa is one of the most underrated pre's I've seen on this board and the compressor on it is amazing

as far as the tampa goes, i'm alittle wary of paying for something i'll never use (a-d converter)... the rnc-vtb combo is winning so far... i'd like a good stereo comp... keep em rolling.. what about the dbx 286a, any users?

$700aus max!!! to give you an idea of where that sits, a threeq is rrp $539, an rnc is $419, the tampa is $999, and the track master is $949. of course these aren't street price. the last two will probably just be tipping my budget.

While the compressor on the Tampa is nice, the unit does not have a line in, so the compressor can only be used while recording, not while mixing or used together with other preamps, which is a serious drawback in the design. Stupid even.

You might also want to keep an eye out on ebay for a used Symetrix 528 Channel Strip. They seem to be running around $200 USD right now.

Stefan Elmblad said:
While the compressor on the Tampa is nice, the unit does not have a line in, so the compressor can only be used while recording, not while mixing or used together with other preamps, which is a serious drawback in the design. Stupid even.

WRONG!

I use mine as an insert all the time, select instrument on the front panel and stick your insert send in the dual purpose neutric socket and the return in the back of the unit...works a treat

Just because an SM57 is a mic doesn't mean it won't make a good makeshift hammer if you don't have one on hand....and it'll probably still work after you get the nails in

I've found through experience that buying channel strips if you're on a budget is pretty much not worth it. A cheap hardware comp or eq is going to pretty much be on par with a plug-in (if you're using digital). I'd invest in a higher quality preamp first.

Back