Bubba Watson to paint over Dukes of Hazzard car Confederate flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
:facepalm:

Trans Pacific Partnership.

A massive secretive trade pact between North America and Asia which allows countries which practice slavery to participate in trade with the rest of the world. Obama insisted this part of the agreement, which was originally banned, then insisted on it being allowed just before Congress voted for it last week! The same man who jumps on TV two seconds after the SC shooting event to cry for more gun control and tearing down confederate flags.

Cheers! :)

:laughings: Just trying to yank yer chain...guess it worked. :)

The confederate flag was the battle flag for the losing/wrong side in a war that was predominantly fought over the right to own slaves. Dress it up however you like, say that it looks cool (it does) but many people associate it with being pro-slavery. If you choose to display it, people will label you as racist/a dickhead - get used to it - you asked for it.

I think Nazi SS uniforms look cool (hey, they're designed by Hugo Boss) but I wouldn't fucking wear one.

Of course it shouldn't be flown over public buildings in america. To many people it symbolises the slavery of 13% of the population.

That guy who painted the car roof? So what, he probably bought it 'cos he thought it was a cool car and this flag debate just made him think that confederate flag flying has had its day. Good luck to him.

The confederate flag was the battle flag for the losing/wrong side in a war that was predominantly fought over the right to own slaves. Dress it up however you like, say that it looks cool (it does) but many people associate it with being pro-slavery. If you choose to display it, people will label you as racist/a dickhead - get used to it - you asked for it.

Good. I've never cared about that before, why start now? Associating it with pro-slavery is partially true, but it's an over-simplification from simpletons.

Well, it was the flag of the side fighting for the right to own slaves.

Yup, sort of. They were fighting for the right to do their thing the way they wanted and needed to do it. The south was agricultural and those slaves were a necessary part of agriculture. All of the cotton, rice, sugar, beef, poultry, etc that the northern fat cats loved so much came from southern fields worked by slaves. The north had slaves too. Then one day they didn't, and tried to force the south to do the same. That's basically it in a nutshell. So yeah, slavery was part of the south's way of life, but they fought to not be told how to live by the north. They weren't fighting for the sole purpose of keeping slaves. It went beyond that. Slavery still exists today, it just looks a little prettier. But real slavery was over 150 years ago. We have a fucking black president. Every pop culture icon and sports star is black. Get the fuck over it people.

The north had slaves too. Then one day they didn't,
They were right.

and tried to force the south to do the same.
They were right with this too.

Slavery still exists today, it just looks a little prettier.
Its also thankfully now illegal - in all of the states.

We have a fucking black president. Every pop culture icon and sports star is black. Get the fuck over it people.
Yup, you've come a long way and its great - no reason that flying a fucking flag over public buildings should be such a sticking point really. Just get over it. One more small step...

You're one of those guys with the fake outrage. So funny. :laughings:
Nah, not really. Just winding you up. Its Monday and I am too tired to concentrate at work.

I do think its a bit silly that's its still being argued about though, until last week I didn't even know that it was General Lee's battle flag. I'm not outraged - just having read about what it actually is, I'm surprised that it's still being used in government buildings.

It is a little odd though that "most" people would, at least in public, say that the northern cause was the right one in the civil war. Some of these people would then still want to fly a confederate flag - odd.

Nah, not really. Just winding you up.

I do think its a bit silly that's its still being argued about though, until last week I didn't even know that it was General Lee's battle flag. I'm not outraged - just having read about what it actually is, I'm surprised that it's still being used in government buildings.

I'm not wound up though. I only support the flag now because so many idiot crybabies are opposing it. I never cared one way or the other before recently. It's just part of our history. For some people it's a dark part of history if you only equate that flag with slavery, which many people do because they've been told to. I can tell you that for most southerners it doesn't mean hatred or bigotry. I think most southerners that support that flag do so out of historical pride for trying to fight even in a losing effort. I do think the spirit of the south in that regard should be embraced by all. In reality we've done way worse things than slavery to way more people in the world under our standard american flag.

In reality we've done way worse things than slavery to way more people in the world under our standard american flag.
True, but the thing that gets people about racism and slavery is that it was a systematic crime against other americans based on nothing other than their ethnicity.

True, but the thing that gets people about racism and slavery is that it was a systematic crime against other americans based on nothing other than their ethnicity.

It wasn't a crime. It was just standard operating procedure. People only pretend to care because it was black people. No one cares about what the U.S. did to the indians. No one really cares about "slavery" at all because slaves have been used to achieve great things since ancient times by all cultures and societies. For some reason, only the southern black slaves from 200 years ago get sympathy from the whiners.

It wasn't a crime. It was just standard operating procedure. People only pretend to care because it was black people. No one cares about what the U.S. did to the indians. No one really cares about "slavery" at all because slaves have been used to achieve great things since ancient times by all cultures and societies. For some reason, only the southern black slaves from 200 years ago get sympathy from the whiners.
Indians? You managed to lose a war in India too? LOL

Nah, the treatment of the Native Americans was a pretty shameful episode from history and is rightly remembered as such. Nobody says otherwise.

The treatment of the native South Americans, mainly by Cortes, but others too, is also pretty shameful - the Spanish are still reluctant to admit it. Which is weird.

Britain has been guilty of some pretty hideous crimes throughout the centuries - particularly with regard to our colonies - however we've admitted that that was wrong; we dissolved the empire, created the commonwealth and actively try and support the development in those countries; they're now important trade partners.

The difference with the Confederacy thing seems to be that they're reluctant to admit they were wrong in the first place and seem to want to take pride in the fact that they fought a losing battle; even though by modern standards they know they are on the wrong side.

There's lots of groups of oppressed people throughout history who get sympathy.

The difference with the Confederacy thing seems to be that they're reluctant to admit they were wrong in the first place and seem to want to take pride in the fact that they fought a losing battle; even though by modern standards they know they are on the wrong side.
They weren't wrong at the time. It wasn't wrong. It was the way things were done. No one currently in the south is saying to "bring back slavery!" Southerners have pride in the fact that they fought against a government that tried to dictate their way of life at that time. It didn't work out for them, and they paid the price. I don't know why people celebrate that. Your heart bleeds for the slaves, and you cheer for the ruin of an entire region of the country. The whole episode was bad.

lol
the whiners could care less about the slaves Egypt used to build the pyramids.
or the African slaves that were kept in Africa and not sold to the US

lol
the whiners could care less about the slaves Egypt used to build the pyramids.
or the African slaves that were kept in Africa and not sold to the US

You realise the difference between shit that happened 200 or 2000 years ago and the society we live in today don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back