Bubba Watson to paint over Dukes of Hazzard car Confederate flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I would never argue that the civil war was or wasn't about slavery. That is a pretty clearly proven point. The point of debate (at least as far as I thought it was in this thread) was the flag of the confederacy. As was mentioned, it is wrong to try to erase history. Removing the flag after all this time is upsetting to some who've looked at that flag in a different light. They see it as southern heritage, not white supremacy. It's all funny to me, because I'm born in California, raised in Idaho and now living in the Carolinas, and yes there's still bigotry and subdued racial problems, but it's nothing like the stuff you see on TV that went on in the 60s. Sorry, for this type of thing, there is no light switch. There is no microwave that can fix it. You just gotta let the generations slowly wash it away. Education helps. Keeping the media from igniting fires would be REALLY helpful.

Also removing a well-liked TV program (sorry, no, I don't watch the thing) after being on the air for 36 years is like pulling 60's Cosby Kids re-runs off because one of Bill Cosby's characters (Mush Mouth) had overhyped, stereotype, big lips. For the love of God, Bill Cosby was black. Why would a respected member of their own race be called into question for racist content 25+ years later. It was ridiculous there and it is with the Dukes. THAT is where I see stupidity running rampant.

Bill Cosby is respected? Didn't he rape a whole bunch of people?

yeah, it's simple to grasp. That doesn't mean it's right. A racist kills someone of a different race should get more time in jail....simply because he is a racist....than a thug who robs, beats, rapes, mutilates, and murders your elderly mother?

It wasn't a hate crime because he didn't hate all elderly women.

Somehow I don't think her son would agree.
It's asinine just like most of the other PC bullshit

No its not, its necessary. Just because you dont like it. If a man attacks an elderly woman he doesnt get a slapped wrist and a book token, but its not necessaraly a hate crime. Just as infantcide is categorised differently from matricide, so are crimes driven by prejudice.

So humph and stamp your little feet Jimi, at least youre not pretending you dont know what they are :)

---------- Update ----------

why are you trying to make a case?

You behave like an infant.

I don't condone jimi's white trashism, but all of this does just come from white liberals who claim "offense" on behalf of marginalized people any time they are reminded of their own biases. Blacks could never get this flag shit done because they do - not - fucking - care. The bored, fake-caring white people that are looking for ways to be offended on other people’s behalf doesn’t make them a hero, it makes you a distraction. These are the same white pieces of shit that lock the doors on their Prius when they pull up next to a bus stop full of negros. And then you've got the moron whites that will just go along with whatever pc nonsense the white movers and shakers tell them to go along with. It's a chain reaction of stupidity that rivals jimi's inbred white trash flag supporters. Both sides of this are fucking stupid. It's a piece of fucking fabric.

I don't really care what it's called....ban it.

If it resresented the same as the confedrate flag I wouldnt want it on state buildings for sure...but there again Im not a unionist so banning it wouldnt bother me one way or another :)

If it resresented the same as the confedrate flag I wouldnt want it on state buildings for sure...but there again Im not a unionist so banning it wouldnt bother me one way or another :)

Banning flags doesn't bother me either. I think they should take the stars and bars off the Mississippi flag. It's just a magnet for mpreplanned, orchestrated outrage.
get rid of the damn thing I say.

My son sticks little confederate flags in the ground in front of all the confederate soldiers graves (my great great grandad included) at the cemetery where y great great grandad is buried...on memorial day. that's the only time a rebel flag ever crosses my mind.
I told him he probably shouldn't do that but he doesn't listen to me. he dozen have a racist bone in his body.

The indians need to wait their turn. Right now white people are focused on gays and blacks. There is only so much fake white compassion to go around.

The indians need to wait their turn. Right now white people are focused on gays and blacks. There is only so much fake white compassion to go around.
lol ....... true enough! :D :laughings:

Here is my one and only explanation of my personal POV:

For whatever reason, most of my life my closest friends have been black. I don't just mean I have black friends .... I mean my very closest, confide in each other .... get up in the middle of the night to go get them if they break down friends have been black.
Prolly partially because Baton Rouge was 50/50 racially and also because of my dad and his construction business.
And musically I run with the funk crowd as much as I can (not rap .... funk .... Tower of Power type stuff and New Orleans funk ) and lots of the best funk players are black.
And I grew up playing in New Orleans where sometimes it seems everyone is black! :D

Even here in Florida, which is WAY more racist than Louisiana believe it or not, my closest friend is black. He's actually the ONLY person here that comes by my house ...... he's the only guy I do anything social not connected to music with ...... he's a good friend I could trust my life to.
He was one of the very first guys here in Fl. to start sending me work.

I can guarantee you that they DO care about that flag ...... it's just that the smart ones know it's best to be quiet about it.
But for me it is annoying and a bit disheartening when my friend, who is an excellent musician, won't come to most of the places I play because it's obvious that he isn't welcome.
This is a clean cut, totally non-nigrish guy who hates pants falling down more than I do and hates the thug culture more than I do and he can't come have a beer with his friend.

He's cool about it ..... he's not a rabble-rouser and doesn't rant about it ..... to him it's just the way things are.
But I don't like it ...... it makes me mad that a good guy gets treated like that ......... most of the time when I see whites talking about what blacks experience, I find they don't really know ...... it's something they hear about and make their decisions based, prolly the best they can to be fair, on what they see on the news.

Blacks DO get discriminated against on a daily basis and I doubt any of us can relate that well to what it's like.
And I'm not claiming to be Mr. authority on it either ...... but because for most of my life I've had a lot of very close black friends, I get glimpses of it and my friends are close enough that we have no problem talking about it and I get some actual insights into how it is.

Don't misunderstand me ...... most of my friends don't dwell on it ...... they don't spend all their time ranting about it nor do they want to kill whitey ..... but their ability to 'pursue happiness' is definitely stomped on by the racism that they encounter just going about daily life.

And when bible thumping "Christians" want to deny there's such a thing as hate crimes or claim that racism has been dealt with .... "get over it" ..... or that there must have been a good reason to shoot a fleeing unarmed man 7 or 8 times in the back, their self delusion on the matter pisses me off.

Not that there's any point in trying to get them to see ..... they're blind to the possibility that racism is much of a problem.

I'm not in the least bit offended by the rebel flag, and I don't give a flying fuck what people adorn their property with.Having said that, all these claims that the stars and bars are nothing but an homage to some wonderful Dixie heritage strike me as very disingenuous. An apt analogy to me would be to say that the swastika was just a symbol of a return of German pride following the humiliation of Versailles. There's an element of truth, but it doesn't quite capture the full meaning!
I don't care what flag anybody flies. Flags are dumb. Having said that, I don't think they need to deprive a new generation of young boys the joy of Daisy Duke. C'mon TVland...do the right thing!

I'm not in the least bit offended by the rebel flag, and I don't give a flying fuck what people adorn their property with.Having said that, all these claims that the stars and bars are nothing but an homage to some wonderful Dixie heritage strike me as very disingenuous. An apt analogy to me would be to say that the swastika was just a symbol of a return of German pride following the humiliation of Versailles. There's an element of truth, but it doesn't quite capture the full meaning!
I don't care what flag anybody flies. Flags are dumb. Having said that, I don't think they need to deprive a new generation of young boys the joy of Daisy Duke. C'mon TVland...do the right thing!
I agree with this post in its entirety.
Especially the part about flags being dumb ...... the problem with a lot of Christians is that they love the Bible as opposed to loving Christ.
And a problem with a lot of 'mericuns is that they love the flag they feel symbolizes freedom as opposed to actually loving freedom.

I agree with this post in its entirety.
Especially the part about flags being dumb ...... the problem with a lot of Christians is that they love the Bible as opposed to loving Christ.
And a problem with a lot of 'mericuns is that they love the flag that symbolizes freedom as opposed to actually loving freedom.

Then you are clearly wrong...and probably mentally ill! :D

Swastikas get a bad rap. It's a cool design.
Swastika.jpg

It's actually an ancient symbol used by several Eastern religions.

Attachments

• swastika.jpg
    swastika.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back