brought to you courtesy of florida

sweetnubs

Florida town will soon have cameras and computers running background checks on every car and driver

The Associated Press
MANALAPAN, Fla. — One of the nation's wealthiest towns will soon have cameras and computers running background checks on every car and driver that passes through.

Police Chief Clay Walker said cameras will take infrared photos recording a car's tag number, then software will automatically run the numbers through law enforcement databases. A 911 dispatcher is alerted if the car is stolen or is the subject of a "be on the lookout" warning.

Next to the tag number, police will have a picture of the driver, taken with another set of cameras — upgraded versions of the standard surveillance cameras already in place.

If there is a robbery, police will be able to comb records to determine who drove through town on a given afternoon or evening.

"Courts have ruled that in a public area, you have no expectation of privacy," said Walker, one of 11 sworn officers who protects Manalapan's 321 residents. Still, Walker says Manalapan's data will be destroyed every three months.

Manalapan's town council authorized $60,000 in security upgrades last week after three burglaries this winter robbed residents of $400,000 in jewelry. The town averages two or three burglaries per year and residents demanded swift response, Town Manager Gregory Dunham said.

The 2000 Census listed Manalapan, about 15 miles south of West Palm Beach, among the nation's richest cities, with two out of every three homes worth more than $500,000.

Hello rightwinged conservative fascists! You have sold out the U.S. Constitution successfully, so welcome to your new world order!
See you in FEMA camp!

now they just gotta link that up with the voter rolls, and BAM, back in business.

"hey, looks like an [african american- actual term used deleted] is driving to a voting booth! quick, detain him!"

well technically the use of a camera falls under recording techniques. So what is perhaps the best camera to use when taking a photo of someone without their consent or being alerted to the presence of the camera and are presumabley innocent until proven guilty? What type of parabolic mic would you use to record their conversations because it could possibly contain "terroist" content?

Although I do live in Florida that situation is not going to affect me. I dont have a tag on my car and I usually drive with a hockey mask on.

Tampa already tried the bit with using face recognition at big sporting events to try to catch crooks with outstanding warrents. It failed, catching only a few minor criminals. It wasn't worth the price of the system.

But the bottom line is: Don't do anything
to have an outstanding warrant and you
don't have anything to worry about....

Moonrider said:
You forgot the link to the discussion of the recording techniques they intend to use.
:mad:

well if i were them, I'd start out with proven mics and techniques. Maybe a shure sm57 off axis.

TimOBrien said:
But the bottom line is: Don't do anything
to have an outstanding warrant and you
don't have anything to worry about....

or, dont look vaguely like anyone who has an outstanding warrant... this is the big issue.

remember the voting rolls? they took your name off if it was the same name, OR a similar name as a convicted felon. they didnt actually check to see if you were the SAME PERSON. nor did they care.

they just didnt want certain people to vote.

Back