Broken LA-610.

k bucks

Hello there. I've already written to Universal Audio support, but who knows when they'll get back to me. I was hoping someone has had a similar problem or might know a little about this stuff. I've had my Universal Audio LA-610 for about a year (bought it new), but it has an intermittent problem. The mic inputs don't work. The hi-Z and line in work fine, I've tested them with guitars and such and no problems. However, the mic inputs (500 and 2.0K) don't work. Previously, if I turned everything up to 10, I might get a little hiss coverd signal, but nothing usable. If I turn some random knobs or turn the machine off and on a few times it seems to come back to life, but right now none of these measures do anything. I've swapped mic cables and power supply cables, tried a variety of microphones, but to no avail. I started buying new and "more reliable" gear so I wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this, but now I feel like a fool. I'm fighting many urges to throw this very expensive piece of equipment out the god damn window! Any suggestions?

-k

Get on the phone with UA and find the repair center address. Then open a repair order and ship it to them for repair. If it's under warranty all the better. No telling what solder joint is bad or which wire is loose until you get in on the bench....I wouldn't try fixing this expensive piece by yourself....

Sorry about your problem - I sympathize considering the cost of the unit....

Of course, a repair is necessary. I was wondering if this had been a common problem in this particular preamp. I guess I was hoping for some sort of explaination to make the repair more convenient....and cheaper. UA makes you pay for shipping and the amount of time you don't have the preamp is money down the drain and recording time wasted. Bummer, but them's the shakes. You can't always buy reliability. Thanks for your posts.

-k

it's probably still under warranty, maybe not for labor but for parts surely.

call them, don't e-mail. most high end companies take calls and will let you know the steps in opening up an RA and repair.

oto

I've used mine (bought it used) all this year, with no problems.

Really, really love the unit.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

I think UA should fix it for free, considering the cost of the unit.

Best of luck.

These tube circuits are actually pretty simple beasts...since your line in works you have eliminated 99% of the potential problems...I would say it is your input transformer or the connections to it or the xlr...you have tried a dynamic mic, right? Just trying to rule out a phantom power failure..most of the time I would say a tube pre problem might be one of the tubes but faulty soldering is a major problem on tons of gear too..should be pretty cheap to fix..I will poke around and see if I can find a schematic..

Cheers,
Ray

I bought a used LA-610 off E-Bay last year and the phantom power didn't work. I called UA and they had me send it to them to check out. I had to pay for shipping there but they fixed it free and paid the return shipping.

My serial number was an early number so they said that they updated the whole unit. I don't know if the early ones had problems or what but it works perfectly now.

Did this ever get resolved? I can't find a schematic anywhere for this guy...although, since there seems to have been soldering trouble on other units I think we found our bear...nothing like crappy automated wave soldering to ruin your day :)

Cheers,
Ray

Back